Disk Enumeration Failed

I'm trying to remove the Encryption of a Lenovo tablet using a USB. I do this because I no longer recognize the "password recovery key" provided by the portal.  The first step is to select the language, once selected I get a box with the message "Disk Enumeration Failed". Has this happened to anyone?

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Staff

Hi @Ivan Nieves & @NuclearSSD

This error you are seeing within the recovery tool basically means the recovery tool isn't able to find any disks connected to the system. 

We have seen this issue before, thankfully the solution is usually to go into the BIOS and change the 'Operation Mode' to 'AHCI', not RAID. Unfortunately our recovery tool isn't able to see disks when the system uses a RAID bus, so changing the operation mode to AHCI temporarily is the solution.

Please bare in mind after the decryption process has finished successfully, please change the operation mode back to RAID.

If after changing this setting in the BIOS the recovery tool is still failing to find the disk, please submit a support ticket, attached with the logs, which can be found on the recovery USB. You can contact our support team here - https://www.eset.com/uk/about/contact/

Edited by AAndrejko

• 2 months later...

I have experienced the same error on a clients HP Pavillion x360 (Windows 64-bit) which has a managed EFDE installed from ESET PROTECT; I ran the recovery data and create the ESET media recovery creator but upon booting the machine with the recovery USB drive ; unfortunately I cannot manage to boot, it brings up an error "disk enumeration failed" ;  and there's no alternative option to change from RAID to AHCI on this machine. And i dont want to rebuild the OS again.

• ESET Staff
22 minutes ago, meakins said:

I have experienced the same error on a clients HP Pavillion x360 (Windows 64-bit) which has a managed EFDE installed from ESET PROTECT; I ran the recovery data and create the ESET media recovery creator but upon booting the machine with the recovery USB drive ; unfortunately I cannot manage to boot, it brings up an error "disk enumeration failed" ;  and there's no alternative option to change from RAID to AHCI on this machine. And i dont want to rebuild the OS again.

Hi @meakins,

Based on the previously mentions steps to resolve this issue not working in your case, I recommend you contact ESET support for further assistance. Please include any log files from the USB drive you used to attempt recovery on the device.