ESET Server Security 8 Program Component Upgrade

Hello,

ESET Server and Mail Security (v8) have been officially released now with the MicroPCU function built in. I was going through the knowledgebase to find more information about this function, and noticed the following kb: 

Program component update | ESET Endpoint Security | ESET Online Help

It advices to set the PCU setting in the policies to Never for ESET server installations

Furthermore, looking at the official statement about the best way ESET advices to do upgrades (Upgrading to a newer version | ESET Server Security | ESET Online Help)

It advices us to fully uninstall the currently installed version, then restart the server and then install the new version. Also I noticed the IMPORTANT section stating that you need to have no pending Windows Updates or Restarts prior to installing the upgrades of ESET Server products.

I have tested the upgrade to the new version 8 on several testservers and noticed that both the serverproduct as well as ESET Protect state that a Restart is required, but not mentioning that the Realtime Scanner is Non-functional anymore.

Our local ESET Support channel also states, that the MicroPCU function only works for minor upgrades, so upgrading from version 8.0 to 8.1 will not work through MicroPCU. In  those cases you still need to re-install the product.

From upgrading of version 7.2 upwards every single upgrade on every server disables the Realtime scanner engine until the restart has been done. Before that, the products just kept working on the older drivers, until the server was restarted.

I would really like to know what ESET officially advices for keeping their serverproducts up-to-date without major interference or security risks on servers of different classes that mostly require high availability.

Markwd

• Most Valued Members

I believe MicroPCU was pushed with newer versions to minimize downtime for servers/endpoints that cannot be restarted frequently due to Updates , but still MicroPCU will require a restart after an upgrade that has upgraded important files for ESET

Updating from 7.x to 8.x will require a Restart , as like you've said the Real Time Protection would be disabled till the server get restarted

With MicroPCU , hotfixes and updates to the product itself can come without the need to restart the server like before which it needed a restart even if you installed a HOTFIX that fixed only 1 minor issue , with MicroPCU this shouldn't happen, but should be the same with major upgrades where restart will be needed.

So your saying that major releases will also be installed by MicroPCU, but the difference is that the major releases will require a restart whereas Hotfixes will not? 

And if so, will the RTS be disabled untill the restart will be done if this major update has been provided through MicroPCU or will the driver be replaced after restarting the server?

In other words: Would it be possible / advised to enable MicroPCU on servers and let it do the version updates all the way (including major versions) and have a reboot through a different maintenance windows provide the restart of the server (in some cases) days later?

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, Markwd said:

So your saying that major releases will also be installed by MicroPCU, but the difference is that the major releases will require a restart whereas Hotfixes will not? 

And if so, will the RTS be disabled untill the restart will be done if this major update has been provided through MicroPCU or will the driver be replaced after restarting the server?

In other words: Would it be possible / advised to enable MicroPCU on servers and let it do the version updates all the way (including major versions) and have a reboot through a different maintenance windows provide the restart of the server (in some cases) days later?

I am sorry I don't work for ESET so I don't have accurate answers for you , but that's what I did for my servers , I installed Server Security 8 and it happened to me like you've said because it was a major upgrade from 7 to 8 it needed a restart as the Real Time Module wasn't able to run probably because it was upgraded

In the settings for MicroPCU I have set it to ask me when the upgrade will happen , probably if the upgrade is small or minor hotfix , a restart most likely won't be needed and if it was needed it will wait for your restart but ESET will be able to function normal if I understand correctly.

But for major upgrades nothing changed , it still needs the restart that it always needed.

• Administrators

As for server products, we recommend upgrading our server products manually during maintenance windows when you can afford to reboot the server, if necessary. The so-called uPCU updates are currently applied after a computer restart anyways.