Slowdown after updating to 7.3.2044.0

lindend

Prior to updating to the Windows 2020 Feature Update, I upgraded our clients from the 6.4.x release to 7.3.2044.0.  Antivirus installed cleanly on all four of our machines, all rebooted cleanly and I then started the windows update.  No performance problems were encountered. Oddly enough, all experience a BSOD while Windows was downloading/installing the 2004 release.

Three machines completed the install w/o incident.  When Windows completed the update, the fourth machine became unusable.  Extremely slow.  Windows menu wouldn't show, keypresses took minutes to be processed etc.  After reboot, it just showed a black screen. Rebooted multiple times and the results were the same each time.  Black screen on login.

Did a restore of a restore point from a week ago (with 6.4.x eSet).  I was able to login once, Comodo firewall complained that it was unable to start and to run diagnostics.  Once I ran diagnostics, the machine became unusable again.  Reboot resulted a black screen.

Tried three different restore points (some with 7.3 the other two with 6.4) and both experience the black screen when logging in.  Booting into safe mode for all three restore points allows me to login.  Booting into safe mode w/networking also allows a login for all three restore points.

Is there a way to disable the firewall and antivirus to rule them out as the cause of the black screen and slow down on login?

• Administrators

The best would be if you could configure Windows to generate complete or active memory dump and trigger a crash manually when the issue occurs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb380. When done, please compress it, upload it to a safe location along with logs collected by ESET Log Collector and send me download links in a private message.

Hi Marcos,

Will try to capture the dump for you.  I've noticed that when this happens, pressing the Windows key does nothing, but the mouse cursor seems functional.  Will that keyboard shortcut be detected in this scenario?  Can I set up memory dumps in SafeMode?

• 2 weeks later...

Traced this problem back to Comodo (12.0.0.0.6818).  Uninstalled it and the machine became usable again.  Was able to install the Windows 2020 Feature Update and then install the latest revision 12.2.2.7036.

Discovered another machine had a HUGE (272GB!) Comodo data file on the boot drive and was nearly out of space.  I suspect that the same thing happened with the first machine just that it completely ran out of disk space before the problem was detected.  This definitely wasn't an eSet issue.

Edited by lindend