I'm confused then about who really owns this issue.  Is this an ESET problem or not?

If Carbonite (or SearchProtocolHost from other threads related to "Failed to rename file") are colliding with files in this folder, why does ESET recommend to turn off the 3rd party service on the Modules folder, then when I chase that point, say that it's an ESET problem?

The ESET case I opened responded and recommended I go to pre-release version of ESET.  I've done this.  I have no way to verify except to wait.  This bugs me.

I just want to know how I can productively help bring this to a verified close.

• Administrators

The thing is those applications touch update files for whatever reason which triggers a scan and renaming the appropriate module folder fails. As I wrote, this is something that we should be able to work around on our part.

I'm having the same error only it seems to happen daily and I do not use Carbonite. This file renaming issue just started about a few weeks ago.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. See attached screenshot of my product.  I can however manually update with no issues.

Eset error.jpg

Edited by Big Dawg

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Big Dawg said:

I'm having the same error only it seems to happen daily and I do not use Carbonite. This file renaming issue just started about a few weeks ago.

You can check Windows Search indexing options and make sure that the ESET install folder is excluded: https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-file-search-indexing-options/.

This issue will be addressed in future versions of consumer products.

Yes, I saw that suggestion and checked. None of the Eset Folders are set to archive or index. In addition, when I go to Control panel and open Indexing Options it shows that Indexing is not running.

I am on the pre-release version of ESET Internet Security now and just got the error again, not running ProcMon at this point though.  FYI.

12 hours ago, Marcos said:

This issue will be addressed in future versions of consumer products.

How will we know when a future version contains a possible fix?