ESET interferes with Thunderbird

Thomas F.
Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello.

We use ESET Protect and Thunderbird as e-mail clients.
Today I wanted to set up a new account I created at Hetzner. I received the following output:

image.png.3737e456bb8b6f15a92b47ed54f61de2.png

image.png.d82758fcc6309b2bd25263e78abccc3a.png

image.thumb.png.ce6dc3b11923a1878fd3db7d29e12f46.png

image.thumb.png.9c73b181509433b872639abe56f79620.png

The certificate is therefore valid. If I deactivate ESET, no error message appears. As we are now moving all accounts to this provider, I don't want to have to confirm exceptions everywhere. How can I solve this problem?

Regards,
Thomas

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1. With Thunderbird closed (make sure its process in not running in Task manager), disable SSL/TLS filtering and click OK to save the changes.
  2. Re-enable SSL/TLS filtering.
  3. Launch Thunderbird.

Should the issue persist, repeat the above procedure but before re-enable SSL/TLS filtering start logging with Procmon. At the end stop logging, save the log unfiltered, compress it and supply me with the archive.

40 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follows:

1. With Thunderbird closed (make sure its process in not running in Task manager), disable SSL/TLS filtering and click OK to save the changes.
  2. Re-enable SSL/TLS filtering.
  3. Launch Thunderbird.

That worked! Now, please tell me why. Is it enough to switch the setting in the policy off and on again?

• Administrators
  • Solution

Re-enabling SSL/TLS filtering will trigger import of the root certificate into supported email clients. It could be that Thunderbird was installed after ESET.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

It did not solve the problem for me. I reverted all firewall rules to default values bcause it was blocing programs that it should not. After that, Thunderbird is not allowed. firewall is set to interactive mode and there is no rule to block it. I did the re-enabling od SSL certificates but no luck. Any ideas?

Edited by dimbouk

• Administrators

What error are you getting in Thunderbird? Does pausing the ESET firewall or temporarily disabling the network traffic scanner in the advanced setup make a difference?

image.png