py2exe fails when eset nod32 is running

plb

py2exe is an application generating executable file from python sources.

As mentioned at hxxp://stackoverflow.com/questions/21848033/access-denied-using-py2exe, eset nod32 has to be deactivated before running py2exe.

When eset nod32 is running, errors "BeginUpdateResource ... " occur during the py2exe process.

Is there a way to setup eset nod32 not to conflict with py2exe ?

I suspect this block is coming from the HIPS if your doing something like this:

I'm using Py2exe to create an executable as a windows service.

As noted in the link you posted.

When disabling temporarily eset real-time protection of files, py2exe succeeds.

When enabling real-time protection, py2exe aborts with an error "RuntimeError: BeginUpdateResource", triggered by its "build_executable" procedure at the line :

add_resource(ensure_unicode(exe_path), mfest, RT_MANIFEST, mfest_id, False)

eset does not signal any threat. There is no mention of py2exe in the eset log files.

2 hours ago, plb said:

When enabling real-time protection, py2exe aborts with an error "RuntimeError: BeginUpdateResource", triggered by its "build_executable" procedure at the line :

add_resource(ensure_unicode(exe_path), mfest, RT_MANIFEST, mfest_id, False)

Might be heuristics within Eset's real-time scanner is interfering with the .exe creation process? Did you try to whitelist py2exe to the ThreatSense engine? Don't recommend this as a perm. solution since that process can be used maliciously but can be done on an ad hoc basis when needed.

• Administrators

Please generate a Process Monitor log from the time when the issue occurs for further analysis. When done, compress it and send it to me via a pm together with the output from ELC. See my signature for links to the appropriate KBs with instructions.

• Administrators

The latest version is v10. It's downloadable from ESET's website and features several improvements to better protect you from malware, such as Ransomware protection, Script scanner, Antimalware Scan Interface support and Home network protection (ESS/EIS). It also contains many bugfixes and improvements under the hood.