Problem with Smart Security 10

Hi

I'm a long time user of Nod32/Smart Security in its various versions for the last 10 years or so. 

I've had to totally give up on version 10 as it is causing my PC to freeze.

Here is the situation.

My PC is running Windows 10 x64.

I am running Smart Security with the firewall in interactive mode (as I have always done).

I initially upgraded to version 10 over the top of version 9 but after encountering the problem, did a clean install but this didn't solve it.

The problem

When responding the the various firewall prompts during the initial learning stage, some are accepted when answering 'Yes' to the elevated prompt, but there will always be one which on answering 'Yes' to the elevated prompt, results in  a totally frozen PC.  The only way to proceed from this is to power off/on my PC.

I've since downgraded to SS version 9 (clean install) and all is well again.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

I am seeing this problem too. I have Eset SS V10 installed on Win 10 VM to test

I have firewall mode set to interactive and after allowing or denying a firewall access request the VM locks up and I have to 'power it off'

I am seeing this problem too. I have Eset SS V10 installed on Win 10 VM to test

I have firewall mode set to interactive and after allowing or denying a firewall access request the VM locks up and I have to 'power it off'

Thanks for the reply, David - sounds like it might be a bug with this initial release.  I'll wait for the next version before I try again.

Been trying to reproduce it but no problems here with fw interactive mode on Windows 10 so far.

Thanks for checking this out.  Just to be clear, the problem arises when choosing the 'Create rule and remember permanently' option.  From memory if you select either 'Ask every time' or 'Remember until application quits' it seems ok.

Just to be clear, the problem arises when choosing the 'Create rule and remember permanently' option. 

I am using Win 10 x64 Home and have also had no problems creating firewall rules in this manner.

Only "hang" I have encounter is when a number of firewall rules exist and you try to very quickly move an existing rule up or down. I have had the Eset GUI lockup on me a number of times. 

Edited by itman

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

would it be possible to send me a complete memory dump and ESET log collector output via a private message to check?

Please create the complete memory dump in a state, when the system is frozen for at least 30 seconds, you can configure it according to our KB article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380/?locale=en_US 

Regards, P.R.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same problem, I reoccurred it when I activated Interactive Mode, and the Prompt ESS10 Allow or Deny window shows up and I didn't click anything, I waited it out for more than 5mins, after that I click the Prompt window and its not responding up to the point that my whole Windows 10 System is now freeze, I open Start menu and its stuck right there, I can't even open Task manager, only solution is to restart.... btw its still occurring even if I have a fresh Install win10x64 updated to latest build and Eset SS10 with Interactive mode selected... I now had maybe 12 computer restarts due to this annoying error, ESS10 doesn't even have a Restart the Program thingy?

• Administrators

Just to make sure, you all are talking about interactive firewall mode, not HIPS. Is that correct? Do you have under User interface - Access setup the option "Require full administrator rights for limited administrator accounts" enabled? If so, does temporarily disabling it make a difference?

At any rate, configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps and if the system freezes, generate a dump as per the instructions in the above mentioned KB article and supply it to us for further analysis.

I want to add that I have the exact same issue since upgrading to v10. It only happens once I switch the firewall mode to "interactive". As long as I leave it "automatic", all is well (except for the Outlook plugin hanging Outlook, but that's a separate issue).

I just submitted a support request and am waiting to hear back. I'm curious to get to the bottom of this, but I thinksit's some type of dead lock in the ESET kernel driver because it only ever happened with the initial V9 release and was fixed in later V9 releases, but now reappears with V10.

For what it is worth if you have no outbound firewall rules other than the defaults and you want to start monitoring outbound firewall traffic, a better way to create firewall rules is to switch to "Learning Mode" for a couple of days. This is especially important in Win 10 with all its package and service traffic. Then you can switch to "Interactive Mode" to manually create any new outbound firewall rules.

For what it is worth if you have no outbound firewall rules other than the defaults and you want to start monitoring outbound firewall traffic, a better way to create firewall rules is to switch to "Learning Mode" for a couple of days. This is especially important in Win 10 with all its package and service traffic. Then you can switch to "Interactive Mode" to manually create any new outbound firewall rules.

I was actually going to do that, but the issue here is that there is a problem with the GUI that is exacerbated when switching the firewall to "interactive" mode, presumably due to the added amount of popups this produces. Even when I leave the firewall in "automatic" mode and leave the PC on for 15+ minutes, the ESET GUI will malfunction when I open it after that time. For example, if I go into the advanced setup, it will show the settings categories on the left, but the right side is completely blank and devoid of any settings to change. If I click around, it will eventually freeze completely but unfreeze after a couple of minutes and allow me to close the GUI. Also, it keeps switching to gamer mode even though I'm not playing games or switching it to that, it just decides to do that on its own.

So basically, there is something seriously wrong under the hood of V10 and it's not my place to work around that issue. The product needs to be fixed! I've been working around the Outlook plugin not working properly since V9 and now V10 wants to freeze up the whole PC, so I can't just standby and wait for a fix any longer. Otherwise I renewed my 5 licenses for nothing.

• 1 month later...

An update, in case anyone cares :)  I've been in contact with support and they had me run through the "manual uninstall & cleanup" procedure detailed in their KB2289. That fixed my Outlook plugin issue but the firewall interactive mode would still bring my box to a standstill. Meanwhile, a new version was released so I installed it on both my main box and another one I have sitting around to see if I can reproduce the issue on either with the new version. But so far, I haven't had the time. With the firewall in automatic mode, no issues whatsoever though.

On 31/12/2016 at 4:33 PM, SwissJay said:

An update, in case anyone cares :)  I've been in contact with support and they had me run through the "manual uninstall & cleanup" procedure detailed in their KB2289. That fixed my Outlook plugin issue but the firewall interactive mode would still bring my box to a standstill. Meanwhile, a new version was released so I installed it on both my main box and another one I have sitting around to see if I can reproduce the issue on either with the new version. But so far, I haven't had the time. With the firewall in automatic mode, no issues whatsoever though.

Thanks for mentioning the new version, SwissJay.  As the OP of this thread, I've been waiting for the next release to see if this interactive firewall problem 'magically' goes away.  I'll try it out in the next few days (when I've got the time to uninstall, clean-up and re-install version 9 if the problem still persists).

I've just updated from version 9 to the latest version of ESS (10.0.386.0).

The previous issue I had whilst running the firewall in interactive mode no longer happens.  I just hope that the issue was a known bug that ESET chose not to publicly acknowledge, but has been addressed by this latest release, otherwise it may re-appear in future releases.

@Marcos FYI - although the upgrade was successful, I still needed to manually run "ecmd.exe /registerav" to clear the Windows Defender/Firewall issues.