eset smart V10 - lag and freezing

[tommy456] (...) OS Win7 SP1 x64 CPU Intel i7-6700K @4.00GHz (4008 MHz) 16305 MB RAM (...) Apps that are mostly affected are opera browser (...) why ESET has a long delay starting after booting into windows (...)

Using Win7 x64 and ESS V9.0.408 myself I'm having no lags and freezing of / because of HIPS module since installing ESS V9 over ESS V8, that's over a year now. Using Opera browser myself I'm having no trouble whatsoever with it (and any other program, except ESS V9 - see my other threads - ESET are you listening?!!). What version are you using? The old Opera V12.x or the new one, in the meantime Opera V41 or something like that?

For me it's more than crystal clear that you must have some program running that's affecting / disturbing the correct functioning of the HIPS module. Proceed as follows, please:

1. Have you ever tried to disable the Advanced Memory Scanner (Setup : advanced setup : antivirus : HIPS : enable Advanced Memory Scanner)? Disable it, restart your PC, no freezes any longer?

2. Same thing, ie. disable the Exploit Blocker, restart your PC, no freezes any longer?

Regarding the long delay until ESS appears: I don't think this has anything to do with ESET but with Microsoft, ie. all of a sudden, after a Microsoft Patch Day it happened on my PC too. I don't remember the exact date now, but it was a patch day some months ago... Up to this day it seemed that ESS V9 (and all versions before) was (visually) starting nearly as the very first program and after that day it's blatantly visually clear that it's the very last program starting!...

• Most Valued Members

[sCR] Some have reported it taking days to just check the catalog. I have disabled the Checking for Microsoft updates in Eset and it has resolved the issue. I do not recommend this for everyone but because of this Microsoft update issue is without resolution I disabled MS Windows 7 updates completely.

I was plagued too with this ridiculously long lasting Win7 Update Checking for several months, all of a sudden, for no apparent reason and clearly quite some time after it originally emerged for a lot of other Win7 users. But with the latest Microsoft Patch Day (or the one before that) all is running smoothly on Microsoft Patch Day again - no longer so called 17% CPU usage (on a 6 core CPU PC, ie. 6*16.666 = 100% CPU?...), no more CPU cooler vent howling for hours, making any reasonable work on PC impossible! (You can check which "component" (service) of 'svchost.exe' is causing the high cpu usage with (Win7) <ctrl><esc> 'perfmon /res<ENTER>', then register ('tab') "CPU", then looking under 'services', for me it was 'wuauserv'...)

Thus it would be better if you and anybody else having stopped Win7 Auto-Update would think about reenabling it, be it just for security reasons. You can find a website about this with good tips here

And don't forget to check the update history after each and every Microsoft Patch Day, it's incredible on how much customer PCs I have found patches that were not installed because of errors!... (This in strong contrast to my Win7 PC where failed patch installations were and are extremely rare.)

Thanks mma

I appreciate the information. I am pretty much resolved to not bother with the Windows updates until I see a need for a clean install. I've lost all trust and faith in MS after the Win 10 fiasco.

It was the start of a lot of time consuming research to try to avoid Win 10.  In the end I decided to just forget about MS updates. I have zero interest in Windows 10. I tried it for about a month then wiped it and reinstalled 7 from an image updated to May of this year. For all intense and purpose I consider that Windows 7 has reached it's EOL  as far as MS is concerned.

Again thank you for your time and effort taken.

On Edit: To Be clear the above is far from a recommended  or suggested way for anyone else to use regarding MS and updates. It's probably not as safe as having all of the updates in place.

mm64 has given an excellent answer for those that want to repair a Windows update issue. There are more available and a google search provides days of reading.

My suggestion to someone wondering about updating or not.. By all means bite the bullet, investigate and get your system operating correctly.

My use of the Internet is of a simple nature and I am probably two degrees below paranoid about going to unknown websites, opening strange emails, downloads, etc.

Foolish and naive, but it works for me.

Edited by SCR

[tommy456] (...) OS Win7 SP1 x64 CPU Intel i7-6700K @4.00GHz (4008 MHz) 16305 MB RAM (...) Apps that are mostly affected are opera browser (...) why ESET has a long delay starting after booting into windows (...)

Using Win7 x64 and ESS V9.0.408 myself I'm having no lags and freezing of / because of HIPS module since installing ESS V9 over ESS V8, that's over a year now. Using Opera browser myself I'm having no trouble whatsoever with it (and any other program, except ESS V9 - see my other threads - ESET are you listening?!!). What version are you using? The old Opera V12.x or the new one, in the meantime Opera V41 or something like that?

For me it's more than crystal clear that you must have some program running that's affecting / disturbing the correct functioning of the HIPS module. Proceed as follows, please:

1. Have you ever tried to disable the Advanced Memory Scanner (Setup : advanced setup : antivirus : HIPS : enable Advanced Memory Scanner)? Disable it, restart your PC, no freezes any longer?

2. Same thing, ie. disable the Exploit Blocker, restart your PC, no freezes any longer?

Regarding the long delay until ESS appears: I don't think this has anything to do with ESET but with Microsoft, ie. all of a sudden, after a Microsoft Patch Day it happened on my PC too. I don't remember the exact date now, but it was a patch day some months ago... Up to this day it seemed that ESS V9 (and all versions before) was (visually) starting nearly as the very first program and after that day it's blatantly visually clear that it's the very last program starting!...

Opera 41.0.2353.69 It will load quicker if there are no tabs  set to also load, (Hips) but if you load it with tabs ity takes nearley a minute to open ect,  but it was slowing other stuff too even preventing  things from working as i would expect  so i binned the crappy hips seeing as no one at eset gives a .... about their customers ,

As for ESS starting following a re boot, lol everything is loaded ahead of it, and i'm able to actually start opening other stuff before it appears (splash screen)

Edited by tommy456

Though I'm using Opera V12.x as my main browser I have installed the latest Opera Beta always too, ie. V41. I have noticed no lags / freezes using the latter browser till now, but I'm surfing not that heavily with it. I'm switching to Opera Beta V41 now for a few intense surf sessions and will report back any findings... Of course HIPS Advanced Memory Scanner and Exploit Blocker will remain enabled, as always. Nonetheless you should try as I suggested, even if it's eating a little bit of your precious time... Your HIPS problem is solvable, but you should try out suggested workarounds.

Goal #1 should be to pin down the program that's causing the temporary lags and freezings. Thus the best way to do this is the following: even before disabling the HIPS Advanced Memory Scanner and Exploit Blocker you could try a PC start with all automatically starting additional programs disabled or closing them after PC being fully running immediately. (And check via <ctrl><alt><del> - (<alt><t>, Win7 german) task manager, whether these additional programs have been fully closed really!) Then you can test Opera V41. If that works flawlessly then you can start one after the other of your additional programs (and do something within them), but always cross-checking with Opera V41 whether this is still working flawlessly. Remember, you're the only one that knows which programs are installed and running on your PC.

It might even be, but I'm in doubt a little bit here, that a failed (and still unnoticed by you) Microsoft patch, ie. one or more patches failing to install, could be the root cause for your lag / freezing troubles: thus check the update history after each and every Microsoft Patch Day, please. (This way I was able to repair a not updating WinVista system once, that was full of failed patches, where I had to make a long hand written list of KBnnnnnnn that failed and succeeded and then cross check what has really failed and what not. A ridiculously crazy time consuming "adventure" --- and all this only because Microsoft is unable to display really failed patches in a reasonable way!!!...)

This problem started after the modules got updated , it has nothing to do with the o/s or programmes on it   When i first installed eset it worked properly now it doesn't. Every time they release a new version it screws up older versions , even eset's gui is laggy  in that you will get a delay in it opening a submenu or similar  sometimes, even with HIPS disabled  it comes up with the end of learning mode  postpone  ect ect, pop up box,??????????? it's disabled  why ???

@Pinkie: if you're meaning the Win7 auto update problem consult the website I have given, it's all you need. 'SCR' has said it nicely: "By all means bite the bullet, investigate and get your system operating correctly." And read my previous post, there's no Win7 auto update problem (high cpu usage, hours / even days of searching without any internet traffic) any longer on my PC...

Having tested web surfing with Opera V41 I can confirm the behaviour 'tommy456' reported mostly: there's a highly noticeable delay surfing this website, around 8 - 10 seconds (!!!) until the website is showing, but it's not only 'https' but 'http' URLs too that are behaving more or less the same way!!! And this is happening with a fully patched Win7 x64 PC and no broken patch installations, HIPS with Advanced Memory Scanner and Exploit Blocker enabled, https scanning disabled, ESS V9.0.408... Doing the same things with the old trusted Opera V12.x there are no delays whatsoever. Yes, 'https' URLs are sometimes somewhat "delayed", but I have never seen a single incident where I had to wait 8 - 10 seconds until anything happens, be it network traffic or the website at least partially displaying. The same thing with Firefox V49.x.

You can view a video proof of the highly noticeable delay using Opera V41 here! Hopefully I'm seeing a lot of views with this new video... (size: 3996527 bytes, <2 min, SHA-256: ff83fe9eb1ee054e09a8adb131dabe2f21af1df33b384ac7a4a8fad20dfe8fb0)

(Video: start of Opera V41 with some tabs opening, 'reddit' highly delayed, next step viewing 2nd page of 'reddit', the same high delay. Yes, not shown here, I have even opened more 'reddit' pages, on each and every of those the very same delay!!!)

Here is one of many SHA-256 checksum tools.

[tommy456] (...) not normal behaviour going by previous months that V9 has been on this machine (Feb 16) problems started in October so the devs need to review what changes they made to modules at that time because something they did broke eset ss v9 (...)

This could be a valuable hint for ESET - though this delayed website loading / displaying may not be ESET's fault, considering the load of Microsoft patches that arrived since february 2016!... Ie. it could be a not yet known bad interaction between a Microsoft patch and ESS V9 as well...

Fact is that I didn't notice this strange delay using Opera >V12.x until today. Though I'm not using Opera V3x, V4x that much, I would have noticed this instantly! With these delays Opera V41 is completely unusable!

Same problem here 

Same problem here 

Got to google and search for woody on windows  or alternately you could check your installed updates within win7, or browse the link,  he also is a very good source of info ,if you are wanting to aviodwin7 telemetry ect  that ms use as a form of spyware but no 3rd party security vendor will even give their customers a choice to block

hxxp://www.infoworld.com/article/3120365/microsoft-windows/kb-3185911-speeds-up-the-windows-7-scan-for-updates.html

Though I'm using Opera V12.x as my main browser I have installed the latest Opera Beta always too, ie. V41. I have noticed no lags / freezes using the latter browser till now, but I'm surfing not that heavily with it. I'm switching to Opera Beta V41 now for a few intense surf sessions and will report back any findings... Of course HIPS Advanced Memory Scanner and Exploit Blocker will remain enabled, as always. Nonetheless you should try as I suggested, even if it's eating a little bit of your precious time... Your HIPS problem is solvable, but you should try out suggested workarounds.

Goal #1 should be to pin down the program that's causing the temporary lags and freezings. Thus the best way to do this is the following: even before disabling the HIPS Advanced Memory Scanner and Exploit Blocker you could try a PC start with all automatically starting additional programs disabled or closing them after PC being fully running immediately. (And check via <ctrl><alt><del> - (<alt><t>, Win7 german) task manager, whether these additional programs have been fully closed really!) Then you can test Opera V41. If that works flawlessly then you can start one after the other of your additional programs (and do something within them), but always cross-checking with Opera V41 whether this is still working flawlessly. Remember, you're the only one that knows which programs are installed and running on your PC.

It might even be, but I'm in doubt a little bit here, that a failed (and still unnoticed by you) Microsoft patch, ie. one or more patches failing to install, could be the root cause for your lag / freezing troubles: thus check the update history after each and every Microsoft Patch Day, please. (This way I was able to repair a not updating WinVista system once, that was full of failed patches, where I had to make a long hand written list of KBnnnnnnn that failed and succeeded and then cross check what has really failed and what not. A ridiculously crazy time consuming "adventure" --- and all this only because Microsoft is unable to display really failed patches in a reasonable way!!!...) there a few  that i have identified , apart from Opera, with several open /loaded tabs , there is CPUz, and MS word (office 2003)  possibly more  that are plain stupid  ,especially when said SW has been installe for a longf time without previous issues

The silence from eset support on this issue is deafening  what is the point in buying a paid security solution if the vendor doesn't fix issues like it loading around 20-30 secs after windows ect after a restart of the system,  or has bugs so bad with  a module like HIPS that the end user is forced to disable it in order to be able to use and enjoy using their computer , can anyone answer this question? 

Several years ago eset support was quite good ,but it gone down the toilet pan in recent times , now all they appear to care about is releasing a version every year , and it's this that causes these type of issues it's getting very tiresome eset