[Video-test] Eset 10 vs. Shade Ransomware

adnage19

Really interesting video test - ESET vs undetected by signatures ransomwares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VVYu1f4e8

Not good, not bad. First sample detected without problems with the new Anti-Ransomware protection. Unfortunately, second sample was able to decrypt files, even if ESET made few alerts. None of antiviruses have 100% protection against ransomware but I hope that ESET will constantly improve anti-ransomware module. 

I would stay away from user "backroom" security tests.

SE Labs, the former Dennis Labs, in the UK last August did lab tests for ransomware protection against the major AV products. Both Eset and Kapersky were the top scorers at 100%. And that was for Eset ver. 9 which does not have the script protection incorporated into ver. 10. You can read the report here: hxxp://blog.selabs.uk/2016/08/2016Q2-regular.html .

Note: From what I could determine for the consumer product tests done, they did not include e-mail client tests. The assumption being most consumers use web based e-mail.

Most current ransomware is targeted at commercial enterprises and is delivered via e-mail. The primary threat vectors are e-mail scripts including PowerShell and MS Word macros plus OLE automation to name a few.

Well, my point of view is different - I trust more home-made tests (of course only well made ones) than tests like AV-Test, AV-Comparatives. Why? Because on the video like this one above you can see everything what's happening during test.

Apart from that, this SE Labs test is directed more globally and this video test is supposed to test proactive detection of malware not detected by signatures. Simple and clear. AV companies should take these home-made tests more seriously, because there is nothing wrong in these tests and they can be more accurate than big tests made by "independent" organizations.

I would not share this video if it wasn't made fairly, but everything's ok - we see ESET's settings, we can see that scan detects nothing, then samples are executed. That's all. :)