Upgrading to Version 10

I have a few questions about version 10.

Will I have to uninstall ESS 9 to install version 10 or will updating through the program work? I checked for the update today but it still says that its up-to-date.

I noticed this in the knowledge base about changes in version 10: "* ESET Smart Security 10 is only available by renewal for existing ESET Smart Security users." What does this exactly mean? I have a valid license until 2018, does that mean I can't get version 10?

Will ESET Smart Security get version 10 or can I upgrade to Internet Security for free?

Will the features in Internet Security be available in ESET Smart Security?

And finally, how do I upgrade?

Edited by throwaway9

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

Will I have to uninstall ESS 9 to install version 10 or will updating through the program work? I checked for the update today but it still says that its up-to-date.

No, no need to uninstall ESS 9. It can take a few days to a few weeks for the update to become available through the program. If you do not want to wait, you can download the installer and install version 10 "over the top" without having to uninstall ESS 9.

I noticed this in the knowledge base about changes in version 10: "* ESET Smart Security 10 is only available by renewal for existing ESET Smart Security users." What does this exactly mean? I have a valid license until 2018, does that mean I can't get version 10?

ESS is still available for purchase on the www.eset.com site, so not really sure what that means. What is the URL for the knowledgebase article that you quoted that from? It does not mean that you cannot get version 10.

Will ESET Smart Security get version 10 or can I upgrade to Internet Security for free?

If you license is for Smart Security, you can use it for Smart Security, Internet Security, or the Anti-Virus.

Will the features in Internet Security be available in ESET Smart Security?

Yes, only difference is that Smart Security also has the Anti-Theft protection.

And finally, how do I upgrade?

If you do not want to wait a few days to a few weeks until the update becomes available through the program, just download the installer and run it (no need to uninstall the previous version of your ESET product).
Hope this helps...

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

ESS is still available for purchase on the www.eset.com site, so not really sure what that means. What is the URL for the knowledgebase article that you quoted that from? It does not mean that you cannot get version 10.

It seems that I may be wrong about this...

Yesterday, when I was looking at the www.eset.com website, I was fairly sure I saw ESS still available for purchase, but today it does appear that it is only available for renewal and/or download, not as a new purchase. I also noticed that if you tried to purchase ESS, you were taken to the EIS page...

I wonder if ESS is being phased out and being replaced by EIS? It would seem odd to keep ESS available only for renewals and not for new purchases. hence the reason it would appear ESS was being phased out.

If you renew ESS, will you actually be renewing for ESS or will it end up being EIS instead? This is a bit on the confusing side as through beta testing, we were lead to believe that EIS was not a replacement for ESS but two separate products. What does it actually mean by ESS no longer being available for new purchases?

It would be a good thing if a moderator/ESET rep could clarify as to the actual status of EIS versus ESS going forward. Maybe even a sticky thread about this as it seems to be a fair amount of confusion over this.

Edited by puff-m-d

This does seem to be a bit confusing. Hopefully a Mod will step in and clarify things. I am in no hurry-will let the dust settle first. I am sure there is a method to the madness.

Edited by TomFace

• ESET Insiders

Hello throwaway9,

Thanks for the link to that kb article  :)  !

So if I can replace Smart Security with Internet Security for free?

Yes, if you license is for Smart Security, you can use it for Smart Security, Internet Security, or the Anti-Virus  ;)  .

Hope this helps  :)  ...

The quote is from this article: hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3753/

So if I can replace Smart Security with Internet Security for free?

You can but I wouldn't recommend it as Internet Security v10 is slightly inferior to Smart Security v10 -no anti theft module. Just upgrade to Smart Security v10, job done ✅

• ESET Insiders

Just upgraded to v10 Internet Security and found out Default Settings are different to those of v9. Advanced heuristics on FileExecution is disabled, can someone confirm?

Just upgraded to v10 Internet Security and found out Default Settings are different to those of v9. Advanced heuristics on FileExecution is disabled, can someone confirm?

Did you export your ver. 9 settings prior to upgrading? You should always do that as a rule.

I upgraded to ver. 10 using the full downloaded installer. Installed on top of ver. 9. All my ver. 9 settings were retained.

• Administrators

I've installed EIS v10 on a vanilla system and AH on file execution was enabled by default which is how it's supposed to be.

Greetings everyone,

I upgraded my ESS v9 to v10 on October 28th via the full installer which I downloaded to my computer, then ran it.  I've noticed that when I click on "Advanced Setup", I now see a circular, light blue-colored icon beside every module in the list on the left side of the window, except for "Device Control".  A number, such as, 1, 2, 4, etc appears inside each icon.

Hovering the mouse pointer over the icon displays "Changed from defaults".

I made no changes at all, so I'm puzzled as to what has happened and why. :unsure:

Can anyone enlighten me on this, as well as, how to correct the issue?

(I do have a few "Settings exports" saved - the most recent is from August of this year).

Much obliged for any help.

Edited by spc3rd

I do believe they are exactly what it said: "changed from defaults". I just played around with mine and the number changes as I make changes. Give it a try.

So in this example I made 1 change in the update section and 1 in device control. Your saved exported settings are what's impacting it.

post-556-0-80844100-1477874222_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomFace

The only thing I noticed was information warnings about devices turned on and connected to my WAN. Someone just turned

on the only other laptop in the house and a tablet was turned earlier.

The warning also states that some information was blocked with the firewall.

In the past, I always had my computers setup for a Home network. I just changed it to a Public network hoping it would stop any

interference.

The reason being was that the the upstairs wireless printer was being interfered with. I have my own printer with a usb

connection. Because there are many wireless devices in this house, I have no idea what is causing the problem so I changed the setting in my laptop.

At least my two desktops are rarely used !

Everything is on wireless. Cabling is out of the question.

. Your saved exported settings are what's impacting it.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Hi Tom and thanks for getting back with me!

You've sort of 'lost me' with the last part of your quote above.  I'm puzzled as to how the Settings exports I've done (when v9 was being used) and saved in the "My Documents" folder on the HDD could be causing these blue icons to be displayed?  It would seem that during the upgrade process from ESS v9 to v10, a number of settings were changed by ESET itself, since I didn't make any.

Another question at this point is:  Should I just leave things the way they are or "Import" the most recent settings export file I saved when ESS v9 was still being used?  (I frankly have no idea which settings were changed or what all the settings were when v9 was installed).

Thanks again for your time and help!

(For Ken):  Just saw your post after I made mine.  I have only this one standalone computer which is connected via Cox Communications cable.  There are no others here, nor do I have any wireless devices (other than my cell phone).

Pete

Edited by spc3rd

Hello Pete. Maybe I misunderstood-when you installed v10-was it a clean install or did you overlay it on top of v9 which already had some setting changes previous done to it? If that's the case, wouldn't those changes carry over to v10 and be reflected in those circle/numbers? (see https://forum.eset.com/topic/9663-ess-10-final-release-date/?p=51199). (Please forgive my lack of tech-speak)

I normally do a clean install-my method is to manually input any changes/settings just in case anything changes radically from version to version.

Plus I had some issues that prevented me from doing an overlay.

Edited by TomFace

Hi again Tom,

I upgraded over top of version 9 (i.e. I didn't uninstall v9 first).  I downloaded the executable application (eset_smart_security_live_installer_us.exe), closed Firefox, then went to my Desktop screen and clicked on the file to do the upgrade.  The computer was restarted and ESS performed a scan and something else.  It didn't ask me for my license number or anything similar.

As I mentioned, those light blue icons show how many things were changed from their default setting.  Unfortunately, I have no way to know just which settings were changed.  I see on the "Advanced Setup" screen there is a button on the bottom left side of the screen which says [DEFAULT].  I'm guessing...if I were to click on it - - ESS would revert everything back to their default setting - and those blue icons would disappear (or not)???

When I first began using ESS during the trial period back in late January-February, I did set the Firewall to Learning Mode for a period of time, then it returned to the default mode.

Unfortunately, age and deteriorating health issues are taking their toll, so I have a harder time trying to understand a lot of the 'tech stuff'.  I'm wondering now if there is a way for me to go back to using ESS version 9.  That version worked well for me - but I'm not seeing anything here that provides the steps I should take to go back to version 9.

Much obliged for your help!

Pete

Edited by spc3rd

Hi again Tom,

I upgraded over top of version 9 (i.e. I didn't uninstall v9 first).  I downloaded the executable application (eset_smart_security_live_installer_us.exe), closed Firefox, then went to my Desktop screen and clicked on the file to do the upgrade.  The computer was restarted and ESS performed a scan and something else.  It didn't ask me for my license number or anything similar.

As I mentioned, those light blue icons show how many things were changed from their default setting.  Unfortunately, I have no way to know just which settings were changed.  I see on the "Advanced Setup" screen there is a button on the bottom left side of the screen which says [DEFAULT].  I'm guessing...if I were to click on it - - ESS would revert everything back to their default setting - and those blue icons would disappear (or not)???

When I first began using ESS during the trial period back in late January-February, I did set the Firewall to Learning Mode for a period of time, then it returned to the default mode.

Unfortunately, age and deteriorating health issues are taking their toll, so I have a harder time trying to understand a lot of the 'tech stuff'.  I'm wondering now if there is a way for me to go back to using ESS version 9.  That version worked well for me - but I'm not seeing anything here that provides the steps I should take to go back to version 9.

Much obliged for your help!

Pete

When you go into Advanced Setup you can play with Settings by Changing them and watching IF the Blue non-Default nbr goes Up or Down. Click back as desired.

In V9 I must have had a check by Document Protection  - Integrate into System - yet DEFAULT is NO Chk. As a result, I had a Blue "1" by Document Protection.

I'm guessing the explanation is that when a Document first appears something in ESS checks it, and IF you have Integrate into System chk'd it will Scan every Document Every Scan you make - and waste time.

In V9 On-Demand Scan having In-Depth Scan selected Vs. Default Smart Scan increased my Non-Default # by "1 in V10........ and so it goes.

I'm following a blog in AskWoody.com about what to update each month in Windows Update, and the instructed setting for us is to turn OFF Win Update Checks in Win 7. By Selecting No Win Updates (monitoring) in ESS I get a BLUE "1 by Tools.

BTW, it's Ridiculous to stick important MORE TOOLS in light Gray in the Bottom Right of the ESET Home/ Tools Screen. ESET should make it equally Prominent with the other 2 Blue headings at the top.

Don't get afraid of these Non-Default Numbers. Stick with V10 as I'm sure it's a better Security tool now.

I just Clk'd "Default" Settings for V10 and started over as I trust the Default settings from what I've read in this Forum.  Good Luck!

Hi COStark26 and thanks very much for your reply - which is reassuring!  :) 

The method you described for determining where changes have been made from the 'default' does seem to be the only way to go, though it will definitely be a lengthy process for me.  I do have my daily scheduled scans set to "Smart Scan" as that is what I saw recommended here in the forums earlier this year.

You mentioned that you had clicked on the [DEFAULT] button to reset everything in v10 to its default settings.

Was that the default button shown at the bottom left corner of the "Advanced Setup" window/page?   

One of the reasons I decided to purchase ESS back in February of this year was because I'd posted an inquiry asking if ESS was a program that would not require a lot of tweaking.  The responses I received indicated ESS would work just fine with the default settings it comes with.

Perhaps I should try clicking that 'default' button and set the firewall to "Learning Mode" for a week or so & see how things go.  I also changed the Windows Update setting in ESS so it will not display any alert.  Since March, getting Windows Updates to install on 'Patch Tuesdays" has been nothing but a major, on-going headache.  :angry:  (I've had to get help over at the Sevenforums several times).

Thanks again for your feedback!

Pete

Pete, just be aware by clicking the default button it will reset ALL settings to default, not just the section you are working in (it was different in v8 https://forum.eset.com/topic/6452-reset-default-settings/?hl=default+settings). So you will loose whatever you customized in settings.

I use mostly default settings, but have tweaked a few of them. Being older and (sometimes) lazy, I do not feel like messing with it a lot. As far as making settings that may extend a scans time, I do not worry about that, that's why I have it set to off peak use times (scheduled).

Have a Happy Halloween!

post-556-0-87257100-1477937885_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomFace

Pete, just be aware by clicking the default button it will reset ALL settings to default, not just the section you are working in (it was different in v8 https://forum.eset.com/topic/6452-reset-default-settings/?hl=default+settings). So you will loose whatever you customized in settings.

I use mostly default settings, but have tweaked a few of them. Being older and (sometimes) lazy, I do not feel like messing with it a lot. As far as making settings that may extend a scans time, I do not worry about that, that's why I have it set to off peak use times (scheduled).

Have a Happy Halloween!

attachicon.gifh3.jpg

In conjunction with TomFace's correct comments I'll just add that IF you go the Full Default route you can slowly start changing settings as you desire.

When you do that just Import your new settings as an .XML backup file to a sub-folder you create somewhere in Win Explorer - for me it's C:\ ......\Craig Files\ ESET\ XML backups.

Clk Eset "e" icon in clock-area Sys Tray / Setup/ bottom right Import/Export Settings .... Via the dark box with 3 dots at end of target path clk your way to the XML Backup sub-folder you made / name the Backup as desired, and you can then Import back to that Setup IF you ever want.

I've made few changes from Default due to only-average expertise but chose to keep a dated record of what I changed. Were I to Import Back to an earlier date from a folder with 3 dated backups I can read what Settings changes I'm giving up and what changes, if any, I'm left with.

• Administrators

In order to revert settings only for the current setup section, click the icon with an arrow located to the right of the active setup section name.

Marcos, on 31 Oct 2016 - 4:53 PM, said:Marcos, on 31 Oct 2016 - 4:53 PM, said:Marcos, on 31 Oct 2016 - 4:53 PM, said:Marcos, on 31 Oct 2016 - 4:53 PM, said:

TomFace, on 31 Oct 2016 - 2:10 PM, said:TomFace, on 31 Oct 2016 - 2:10 PM, said:TomFace, on 31 Oct 2016 - 2:10 PM, said:TomFace, on 31 Oct 2016 - 2:10 PM, said:

In order to revert settings only for the current setup section, click the icon with an arrow under the search field.

Thanks Marcos! I stand corrected and appreciate it !  :)  :) (I'll count this as my dose of knowledge for the day ^_^ )

Edited by TomFace