what a bad 10 version

piroxicam

I have to say, the v10 antivirus is total garbage.

I updated over v9 with no problems. After a restart, antivirus is gone. It doesn't start with Windows.

I tried to manually uninstall, then install again v10. Same problem.

I manually uninstalled for the second time and went back to v9.

Didn't you tested this before sending to the customers? What bad, bad, bad launch.

• Administrators

V10 has been tested for several months and no such issues were discovered nor reported. Also hundreds of thousands users have already updated to the final v10 with no issues.

Did you install EAV v10 over EAV v9? What operating system / platform do you use?

I've installed in my two different computers with Windows 10. One 32bit without Anniversary Update, one 64 bit with Anniversary Update.

First, I installed over v9 with a "Successfully installed" in both my 32 and 64 bit machines.

I then could open the antivirus window and update the definitions.

After a restart in both machines, the antivirus is gone. It doesn't start with Windows. It doesn't open when I click it in Start Menu.

If I try to uninstall through Control Panel, I get a "can't remove ESET services" error. I uninstalled manually and the reinstalled again v10.

Same problem again. It opens the antivirus window after installing but when I restart, antivirus is gone again.

I manually uninstall for the second time.

Then I installed v9 and everything is working as before, both in 32 and 64 bit with.

I have the Comodo Firewall installed in both my computers.

Edited by piroxicam

• ESET Insiders

only big problem is pre relase update but now is gone with Marcos fix !

Now i wait tests too see ESET no.1 in world !

#piroxicam you are fan KIS or B ?

Edited by glugy

Well, I had these problems in two completely different machines with different configurations. One 32 bit, one 64 bit. So I can call bad luck.

I'm sticking with v9 until this problem is fixed.

• Administrators

Maybe the problem is with Comodo Firewall somehow interfering with LiveInstaller. Do you have it installed on both machines on which the problem occurred? Also it'd be great if you could temporarily uninstall Comodo to confirm or deny its involvement in the issue if you can reproduce it 100%. If uninstalling Comodo makes a different, in order for us to reproduce the issue on our end, provide us with information about Comodo fw (version, its settings).

I have it on 4 computers right now.

No complaints at all.

same, did a clean install by removing v9 first, then running the ESET uninstall tool in safe mode, then installed v10. 0 problems.

this is the best NOD32

I have it on 4 computers right now.

No complaints at all.

same, did a clean install by removing v9 first, then running the ESET uninstall tool in safe mode, then installed v10. 0 problems.

this is the best NOD32

And I installed 10 over 9 and still no problems.

Oh yes, now it is on all 5 of my computers. :)

Personally I'm having no problems whatsoever up to now.

I ran the beta of NOD32 v10 when it first came out with no problems either, the final seems even faster and smoother.

I would like to hear if anyone with Comodo Firewall has had the same problem as I did.

Have you tried temporarily disabling your firewall to see if that makes a difference?

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators
1 hour ago, kipuije said:

I use COMODO FW like piroxicam and have same problem !

Please elaborate more on the issue you're having. Had you had both v9 and Comodo fw installed in tandem without issues and after upgrading to v10 ekrn didn't start any more? If so, what happens if you temporarily uninstall Comodo fw and install v10 from scratch?

In regards to Comodo, also state if the firewall alone is being used or; if Defense+, its HIPS, or whatever Comodo now calls it is also being used.  

Edited by itman

Please elaborate more on the issue you're having. Had you had both v9 and Comodo fw installed in tandem without issues and after upgrading to v10 ekrn didn't start any more? If so, what happens if you temporarily uninstall Comodo fw and install v10 from scratch?

Oops sorry,

I'm on windows 10 version 1607 (14393.693) Anniversary update

I use Comodo free firewall 10.0.0.6092 and Nod32 v 9.0.408

In fact, after a clean install of Nod32 v10, when I restart my PC, Nod32 is disabled. I try to uninstall and reinstall, same things!

So I keep Nod32 v9.

Before uninstall my firewall I would like to know like piroxicam if other people have the same troubles!

In regards to Comodo, also state if the firewall alone is being used or; if Defense+, its HIPS, or whatever Comodo now calls it is also being used.  

Where do you find this, I try to search but I see nothing about it.

Thanks for your help or idea and sorry about my poor english.

Edited by kipuije

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old question but I have the same issue and would like to see if it can be answered.  I have tried multiple times to get ESET Antivirus 10 installed and working on my computer (Windows 10 Anniversary addition 64bit) without success.  I also have Comodo Firewall 10 (not CIS) installed and Malwarebytes 3.0.6 installed.  I have narrowed the problem down to Comodo and ESET.  I have the same problem with installing 10 with both Comodo 8 and Comodo 10.  ESET 9 works fine with both of them.

The problem seems to be with the automatic start of the ESET service (ekrn.exe).  If I look at the Windows logs the service times out without starting.  I have tried increasing the timeout (I have it currently set to 120000 milliseconds) but it still will not start at Windows startup.  I can manually start the process after the computer is up without any problems and the ESET GUI starts as it should.

The problem seems to be that Comodo is blocking the ESET service from starting automatically (both Comodo 8 and 10) but does not prevent it from starting manually.  This is ONLY with ESET 10 not with ESET 9.  Can we have some guidance with what could be blocking the service from starting automatically.  I have tried turning off HIPS in Comodo but that does not change the behavior.  Even with HIPS in Comodo turned on (safe mode) ESET 9 starts with no problems.

If I don't have Comodo installed (either version) ESET 10 works without any problems (even with Malwarebytes installed).  So it obviously has something to do with Comodo and the automatic starting of the ESET service in 10.

• Administrators

In the advanced HIPS setup you can try disabling running as a protected service. This would deteriorate protection capabilities but at least you could do it for a test and to narrow it down.

Marcos, 

Thanks.  That worked.  ESET 10 is now starting at Windows startup.

This brings up 2 questions:

1)  Why is Comodo preventing a protected service from starting and

2)  As far as I can tell this is the first ESET version that protects this service (at least there was no option to turn it off in V9).  By turning it off what am I loosing?

Hi and sorry for my late answer,

as itman said

On 21/01/2017 at 10:59 PM, itman said:

So after upgrade my eset nod32 AntiVirus  10.0.386.0 to 10.0.390, I disable Comodo HIPS and after it works !!!

And as you WNSmith:

On 23/02/2017 at 9:25 PM, WNSmith said:

1)  Why is Comodo preventing a protected service from starting and

2)  As far as I can tell this is the first ESET version that protects this service (at least there was no option to turn it off in V9).  By turning it off what am I loosing?

Thanks to itman & Marcos

All, 

I have finally found what seems to be a fix for the conflict between Comodo firewall and the protection of the service in ESET.

In Comodo go to HIPS Settings > Detect shellcode injections > Exclusions >  and add the ekrn.exe and egui.exe to the exclude list.  You should now be able to protect the ESET service and have it come up at startup.

BTW I am running ESET Nod32 10.0.390.0 and Comodo Firewall 10.0.0.6092.

12 minutes ago, WNSmith said:

All, 

I have finally found what seems to be a fix for the conflict between Comodo firewall and the protection of the service in ESET.

In Comodo go to HIPS Settings > Detect shellcode injections > Exclusions >  and add the ekrn.exe and egui.exe to the exclude list.  You should now be able to protect the ESET service and have it come up at startup.

BTW I am running ESET Nod32 10.0.390.0 and Comodo Firewall 10.0.0.6092.

Personally, I believe your going to have continuing issues and conflicts running Eset's HIPS and Comodo's Defense+ together. I would disable Defense+ as you did originally.  

Be advised, even when "Detect shellcode injections" is unticked or the HIPS is switched off entirely, you have to set exclusions for "Detect shellcode injections", or otherwise the cguard32/cguard64.dll will be injected.