ARP Cache Poisioning Attack

I continuously get this popup. (See attached)  At least once or twice a week.

Do I have malware?  I just do not understand enough.

I have also had my computer lock up and tell me there was a message from Microsoft that my computer is infected, and I need to call a number.  I just rebooted, and I was fine... but.. 

Much appreciated,

Thanks,

Cheryl

post-14192-0-24488700-1477240150_thumb.jpg

Hello CherylMcQ.

First off the message you received from Microsoft was a scam/fake message. The number that showed up would have taken you to scammers (probably in India or Pakistan) where they would had offered to "Fix" your PC for a price. They would have connected remotely to your PC, stolen your personal data and bank information, probably given you malware and charged you hundreds of dollars for the privilege of talking to them and getting robbed. 

NEVER call the number in a popup window like that - and - NEVER let those scammers remotely connect to your PC.

Normally a reboot will clear that up. If you have concerns you can always do an in-depth scan and also do a scan with the online ESET scanner. https://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Also the scammers are still running the Ammyy scam (or variations of it...hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/ammyy-scam/2af41e2c-898c-4b80-9225-49baa3b6482d) where you get a call from someone saying they are from Microsoft (or an affiliate of Microsoft) saying that your PC is sending error messages, or is about  to crash or some other nonsense and they will connect to your PC and save the day-DO NOT FALL FOR IT. They are not Microsoft! Microsoft does not call people like that.

Again they will rip you off blind. It's always best to not answer unknown callers and do not call them back.

As far as the pop up window-it is telling you it blocked an attack (also could be a duplicate IP address)-that does not mean you have a bug. You can review this KB article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2933/, but if you are not comfortable tech-wise with that, just open a ticket with support.

Here is a link to US support. https://www.eset.com/us/support/contact/

Edited by TomFace