NOD32 AV 7.0.104.0 with Outpost Firewall 8.1

Hopie

This Combo doesn´t work correctly.

load websites is low, different issues with webimages.. IE, FF,... see attachment

run NOD32 w/o Outpost, all ok.. install outpost.. it doesn´t work

with latest nod32 6.x no problem with the combo

post-1674-0-20984800-1379236784_thumb.jpg

It's a problem with the web module Page loading errors also happen with admuncher. You have to refresh or even sometime clear out browser cache b4 a page will load all the way. I have reported it all ready but not sure its been worked on. Nice to see its doing it with other than admuncher too though. Maybe it will get looked into more now. Yes if your wondering its doing it using SS not sure NOD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

my colleague attempted to replicate the issue with current ESET NOD 32 Antivirus v.7 and Outpost firewall 8.1 and it worked without any issues.

No network slowdown occurred and images were loaded properly.

I also have this issue with the final version of Nod32. Not only the pictures are corrupted, but also, youtube videos, are not loading, internet browser it;s reduced to a stand still. This issue was present from the beginning, with the first beta version of version 7. I don't know, how the Eset testers cannot reproduce this, because the issue was reported long ago, when the beta version was released to the public. Try to work in close hand with the guys from Agnitum. Many of us who play games prefer this combo. I had to uninstall you AV for now. Please investigate, and if you found some issues in Agnitum's software I will report to them. But give us something to start upon. I didn't report this to Agnitum because with the version 6 all it's ok, so I tend to believe it's related to the traffic module that you integrated, or the advanced memory protection (something :) )

Thank you,

Edited by Mariusry

When I previously installed Nod v7 I didn't had Web Control on OFP and it simply didn't worked.. Today I just updated to Nod v7, updated OFP to 8.1.2 and once again didn't installed Web Control.. Not entirely sure why but it's working fine now..

@Jokaz

I know you're trying to help, but installing version 8.1.2 does not impact with this issue, did you read the changelog before posting. The changes are related to Win Xp only. I run Win 7 x64. So updating to version 8.1.2 is irrelevant. If you go to Advanced settings in NOD32 and you disable [Protocol Filtering] and [integrate into system] options, and after, you restart your system everything will work. Again this is not a solution because the AV will not scan any traffic, and for Outpost it's not an option to disable Web Control ( which I did ), because privacy issues. Nod32 AV does not block cookies, referrers, and so on. So for an user point of view the security suites should work together, without to lower your security from one of them. Worst case scenario, will be that Eset should state on their support section, that NOD32 v7 is not compatible with outpost. And as a customer, to have the choice to refund my money, it's simple

Yeah maybe you should buy me for another Pro firewall? And why to change the firewall if the issue appeared when updating Nod32 not the firewall. Good logic.

Edited by Mariusry

I've had similar problems to the OP. I'm using Outpost 8.1.2.

Plus, all my downloads (in RAR or ZIP) are being classed as corrupted and will not open in WinRAR.

Switching back to NoD32 AV v6 and everything works OK.

@ Arakasi

Are you working for Eset my friend? And I will tell you why bellow:

1) The ESET SECURITY firewall is not good at all, check some specialized sites like "matousec", sites, that tests firewalls, not only Antiviruses suites. Neither the AV does not have the best detection score, but instead does not return many false positives in comparison with other candidates out there, and until version 7 it had a light footprint on the system, and allmost no compatibility issues.

2) To upgrade to another suite you must pay something, why I should pay for something that does not protect me as a firewall. I bought the ESET AV, and this software should be bug proof. Why you people think like this? Instead to repair a bug, you just say use only our products? Don't you think that others payed for other products as well? Instead of giving advices to buy something, maybe ESET should fix this issue. It wasn't reported by me alone...think about the people out there, that just don't have time to report any issues. They just trow the AV to the Garbage bin, and that's it.

3) If ESET doesn't want or doesn't know how to repair this, they should tell us, in order to get a refund from where we bought the AV. It's their product, but if you cannot test a compatibility with a well know firewall, before releasing a new version to the public, then ESET should stop doing software. Not on our money.

ESET don't make us drop your product. Fire some testers, maybe something will change

I want an estimation, when you will fix this, because I need to know if I return the product or not

Edited by Mariusry

@ Arakasi

Are you working for Eset my friend? And I will tell you why bellow:

1) The ESET SECURITY firewall is not good at all, check some specialized sites like "matousec", sites, that tests firewalls, not only Antiviruses suites. Neither the AV does not have the best detection score, but instead does not return many false positives in comparison with other candidates out there, and until version 7 it had a light footprint on the system, and allmost no compatibility issues.

2) To upgrade to another suite you must pay something, why I should pay for something that does not protect me as a firewall. I bought the ESET AV, and this software should be bug proof. Why you people think like this? Instead to repair a bug, you just say use only our products? Don't you think that others payed for other products as well? Instead of giving advices to buy something, maybe ESET should fix this issue. It wasn't reported by me alone...think about the people out there, that just don't have time to report any issues. They just trow the AV to the Garbage bin, and that's it.

3) If ESET doesn't want or doesn't know how to repair this, they should tell us, in order to get a refund from where we bought the AV. It's their product, but if you cannot test a compatibility with a well know firewall, before releasing a new version to the public, then ESET should stop doing software. Not on our money.

ESET don't make us drop your product. Fire some testers, maybe something will change

I want an estimation, when you will fix this, because I need to know if I return the product or not

Hmmmmm.....harsh mood.

1. Regarding Matousec. It is NOT a firewall test but a HIPS test, check some facts before complaining will you.

2. Change firewall, upgrade to ESS for a small amount and get a product that works great, or return the product. How can you say that it is a bug when you're not using NOD32 AV on it's own? If NOD32 works great on it's own but the problems start when you use it together with Outpost how on earth is that ESET's fault? The latest V7 and outpost are not good friends anymore because of compatibility issues due to changes and improvements in V7, wich have nothing to do with a bug in ESET software as you think.

Try using NOD32 AV on it's own to see if you experience any issues.

Next time, it may be Outpost that release a new version wich will break compatibility with ESET software instead, then you can go to Outpost complain and tell them to fix it. No you shouldn't. Because Outpost knows that their firewall works great on it's own, like ESET knows that NOD32 AV works great on it's own. It's when you combine them that the issues show up wich isn't Outposts or ESET's fault, it is you that insists on using them together. All AV's and firewalls don't work well together. 

That's the disadvantage of using a standalone AV that you need to find a 3'rd party firewall that get's along fine, but sooner or later a product update to the AV or firewall may start to cause issue. Unless you would use the Win firewall wich wouldn't cause any issues at all.

I use ESS. But if I were to use NOD32 AV with a 3'rd party firewall, I would chose a firewall that had the least features as possible except the pure firewall function to minimize the risk of compatibility issues with the AV

In Outpost......

What’s Inside:

• Two-way firewall for secure network connections
  • Proactive Protection module to block unknown and zero-day threats
  • SmartDecision technology for fast decision-making in security issues
  • Web control with fast web content filtering to protect your PC from web-borne threats
  • System and Application Guard to keep installed software and OS protected
  • Self-protection technology to maintain continuity of protection
  • Program activity tracker to review file and registry activity in real time
  • Entertainment mode (for games and video) and Auto-Learn 2.0 (for beginners)

And what you need is the feature at the top, the firewall function.

For a test, try to disable everything except the firewall to see if it makes a difference.

I suggested you to try another 3'rd party firewall since there is a good chance it will work better with NOD32, there are several good FREE firewalls around.

But if you still want to use NOD32 & Outpost, have you tried exclusions?

I didn't mention that in my last post since I thought you would have tried that already.

You also say that the AV doesn't have the best detection rates, well I won't even get into that discussion since you will probably not believe what I or others would tell you anyway.

ESET makes sure that their products works great on their own and that's all I can ask

for as an ESET customer IMO. 

Edited by SweX

I dont work at ESET.

I just know good product when i see it.

If you have nod32 av, and your using it still , why ?

If your answer is its good and you like it; dont you think the firewall would be pretty close to the same standards...

Well, it does.

I also have no issues with outpost, dont mistaken my slur. lol

Thanks Swex for your post, there are some excellent points and facts that are beneficial towards assisting Mary.

Edited by Arakasi

Hm, even the fact that you say to replace the AV with the security suite, says it all...Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to do negative publicity, on an internal ESET forum :).

Keep also in mind that ESET doesn't make only a security suite, there is also only a standalone AV, this was their first security product, then the suite.

If ESET is doing an AV product also, they should also provide compatibility with other products, as they did until version 7. Anyways it's ESET choice to offer compatibility or not with other products, but if the compatibilty was offered with Outpost until version 7, ESET should specify on their site something like this: "Starting with version 7 the following firewalls will not be compatible with our software". After that every user knows if they still want to buy their product or not.

Regarding Security Suites, everybody knows that multi-layered security is better than only one product alone. No AV, firewall is perfect, they have their bugs, and self protection measures, etc. If a malware gets past your AV, or your firewall you still have a chance that the other layer will still protect you.

Regarding ESET's rate of detection you don't need to tell me nothing, check some sites like, av-comparatives, av-test, even virus-bulletin. I use Nod32 AV because the following reasons:

1) It has a low impact on system's performance

2) It has a very low False positive, according to av-comparatives only just 1 false positive, none of the other vendors managed that ( Only Microsoft AV), so +1 ESET

3) I use it also because works well with Outpost firewall, (until version 7 anyways)

Maybe if all you guys just recommend to use ESET Suite, maybe that's ESET plan, to make users to use only their suite.

Anyways, I tried, a Russian AV that's starts with a K, and a Romanian one that stars with a B, both work well with Outpost, so your claims are normal only if you are both fans. If someone buys only the AV it's not about the money, it's about that,they know that other firewalls, are better than the one included in a Suite.

For example Outpost also has a Security suite, but their AV, is trash, so, try to see the big picture here, no security suite is perfect, but multi layer security is better

Edited by Mariusry

I bet they did not test their software with outpost, simply because they dont have to.

I imagine the conflict lies somewhere with Hips, advanced memory detector, or exploit blocker, as those are the only new features that have been added.

Disabling one of those will probably solve your issues, as the other feedback has stated.

It is because of this, i know they did not intentionally create compatibility with your favored firewall, and i am sure there are more then just outpost that may have had compatibility checked and maybe weakened. There is no way to tell without testing with every single software ever created, and compiling a list to be created for customers to see. While that would be very interesting to see, i would be shocked, as that would require a lot of resources ESET does not need to waste.

I imagine if you discovered a compatibility with another piece of software, and reported it to ESET, they may start to look at possibly a fix to repair the problem.

Im just thinking logically out loud.

Sorry for your troubles Mariusry.

Maybe a fix will be sent out in the future, usually if you ask with policy and guidelines in check, and if its nicely. ;)

Exactly, it's not really that NOD32 AV is incompatible with the "firewall function" in outpost, it's that Outpost Firewall Pro is a very feature rich firewall, and as I said in my first post the more features it has the bigger the chance that it will argue with some of the essential functions in NOD32.

Wich is why I also said, chose a firewall that is a firewall, and not a a firewall plus 5 additional features.

The new features in NOD32 V7 is great features and not meant to be disabled.

And I also think that it is probably easier for Outpost to tweak their firewall and the additional features than it is for ESET to start testing their AV with 15+ firewalls to make sure it is working with them. 

And No ESS was not created as a replacement for NOD32. Many NOD32 users let their hardware firewall handle the firewall bit, and on the software side the Win OS firewall. Not all NOD32 users use a 3'rd party firewall because NOD32 doesn't have one.