Problem using mirroring and general proxy server

Hello !

Here again !

Ive done some testing ... And I can tell you that when the option "Tools > Proxy Server > Use a proxy server" is activated, and you have also set the option "Updates > General > Update Server > Update Server " to a local mirror, when you do an update, ESET requests (for licensing etc AND UPDATES)  pass through the proxy and not through the mirror.

I've been told that hte mirroring would still be functionnal when using a proxy server ... Is all of this normal ?

My previous thread : https://forum.eset.com/topic/8391-mirroring-and-proxy/

• ESET Staff

I would expect it to use HTTP proxy in case you specified hxxp:// uri for updates server and to not use proxy in case you specify local path to mirror files (i.e. C:\LocalMirror\eset_upd\ep6\) - i guess the former is your case? If client will try to access your local HTTP server with mirror files through ERA HTTP Proxy -> it will fail, because this proxy is configured to pass through only request to ESET servers (hostnames and IP addresses) due to security. This is one of reasons new configuration parameter Tools -> Proxy Server -> Use direct connection if proxy is not available has been introduced in 6.4 releases which should help in this case, as clients will attempt to ignore HTTP proxy if it is not accessible and connect directly.

Regarding other communication channels (licensing, etc.) they are not affected by updates server configuration and therefore using HTTP proxy as configured in global configuration.

The former is my case yes. And I was planning to test the mirroring functionity using a local path tomorrow.

The fact is that when I have my proxy server set, updates are made from the proxy (using netstat I can see the server IP). But they do not fail so I guess they are served by the proxy server.

And when I deactivate the proxy server setting, netstat shows me that the PC is connecting to the mirror server.

I guess we'll have to use mirroring from local path

• ESET Staff

Have you also considered of disabling HTTP proxy only for updates in Updates -> HTTP Proxy -> Proxy mode -> Do not use proxy server which may be what you looking for? This setting should not affect other connection channels mentioned previously.