ESET and Keyloggers

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install a keylogger on my computer (Windows Home 7 Premium) and my ESET Smart Security 6 (Version 6.0.316.0) keeps blocking it, and or erasing it as soon as I download it.  I've tried disabling my ESET completely, which works to install, but eventually it just gets deleted again.  Any tips?  I'm using REFOG Keylogger.

Thanks

Well, I won't ask why you want to install a keylogger to begin with. But adding it to the exclusion list so it won't get scanned should be the way to go.

I know some parents like to install keyloggers to keep a parental control and watchful eye on their children Swex.

There are some benefits to keyloggers on the opposite end of the spectrum.

;)

I know some parents like to install keyloggers to keep a parental control and watchful eye on their children Swex.

;)

I would never do that if I had any children, feels wrong doing that. Better to use a DNS serice like OpenDNS and through it block access to websites that you don't want your childern to visit. Or use a the parental control feature in ESS like another example.

• 2 weeks later...

;)

Im sorry but this is nonsense.

Installing keyloggers to spy on your children or whoever is just wrong.

The best way would be to just limit the amount of time your children are on the computer.This is why there are parental controls on security programs etc.

Or another method is to sit next to your children while they use the web.But installing keyloggers shows mistrust and a suspicious and insecure nature in the parents involved.

Thank you.

I dont use this at all , I would agree its not a decent form for parental guidance.

However , might i add some more useful tactics for keylogging.

Have you thought of the law enforcement side of things ?? How could they benefit from attempting to catch criminals.

hxxp://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9741357-7.html

Lets reverse it as far as trying to teach your children good internet practice and change it up to where its too late for your children and they are already going to a certain website and performing criminal acts. Yes its to late but what now ?

Ok now lets think about large companies and employees. Lets take a look at encryption, because it could take a very long time to un-encrypt or decrypt a strongly needed password, if it was lost and you have no means of retrieving .

You could easily refer to the log and save.

What about marital problems where you would like to research adultery ?

I think ill conclude myself here as i could go all day and this is getting too off topic.

Points from my side

1. I dont use key loggers

2. I was helping Swex to add additional reasons for use

3. Outdated tech when more useful exists.

4. True bad for parenting.

5. I use ESET , it wouldnt allow me to use a keylogger LOL :huh:

Brick house security is a known company i have dealth with that uses keyloggers for support.

They have a huge mobile monitoring section on their webpage discussing usage on keylogging and how they sell it.

I do not endorse this company as i have only had experience with my clients and their software floating around.

Edited by Arakasi

• Most Valued Members

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install a keylogger on my computer (Windows Home 7 Premium) and my ESET Smart Security 6 (Version 6.0.316.0) keeps blocking it, and or erasing it as soon as I download it.  I've tried disabling my ESET completely, which works to install, but eventually it just gets deleted again.  Any tips?  I'm using REFOG Keylogger.

Thanks

I have no idea why you want to install a keylogger, ESET is doing it's job of protecting you from yourself.

Before you install and use this program I strongly suggest you reconsider your need for it. At the very least learn how to control access to it before someone else uses it against you.

My opinion is if you have to ask how to install it you are not really qualified to use it in the first place.

Well, I won't ask why you want to install a keylogger to begin with. But adding it to the exclusion list so it won't get scanned should be the way to go.

Good observation SweX, we do not know why poopypants wants to install it. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

"Keyloggers" has two meanings.

1) Apparently --- as in this thread --- a program that monitors what members of the family do.

2) Alternatively, an Anti-Keylogger, a program that prevents malware keyloggers.  Today I learned of the existence of two such programs:

Raxco's PerfectGuard (hxxp://download.raxco.com/perfectguard )

Privacy Keyboard (hxxp://download.cnet.com/PrivacyKeyboard/3000-8022_4-10906849.html )

and there probably are others.

My questions are:

Does Eset NOD32, v7.x (and possibly 6.x and 5.x) include an anti-keylogger component?

If not, does anyone know of an anti-keylogger program known to not  interfere with NOD32?

Does setting up Win7sp1 to require Ctrl-Alt-Delete before logging onto a computer with a password make an anti-keylogger program unneeded?

The answers to those questions are very important, as indicated by a different thread here:

"2 million stolen passwords to Web accounts" (Started by TomFace, Dec 05 2013 05:37,  at

https://forum.eset.com/topic/1487-2-million-stolen-passwords-to-web-accounts/ )

[see also: hxxp://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/05/us-cybercrime-pony-idUSBRE9B400W20131205 ]

I hope that someone can answer those questions.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Maybe posts #11 and #12 are trying to say that NOD32 7.x has a Realtime Filesystem protection setting that would block (or uninstall) any malware Keylogger, and that even if that setting were disabled a NOD32 7.x Memory Scanner feature would catch it.

If so, that's good news.  I definitely would prefer not having to install and use either PrivacyKeyboard or Raxco's PerfectGuard.

In any case, after this post I will check and see if my NOD32 7.x has an enabled Realtime Filesystem protection setting.

Nevertheless, I definitely would like explicit answers to my three questions posted in post #10:

1) Does Eset NOD32, v7.x (and possibly 6.x and 5.x) include an anti-keylogger component?
2) If not, does anyone know of an anti-keylogger program known to not  interfere with NOD32?
3) Does setting up Win7sp1 to require Ctrl-Alt-Delete before logging onto a computer with a password make an anti-keylogger program unneeded?

I hope someone does answer those three questions.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

ESET's software detects keyloggers using both conventional signatures (which detect many as part of the Win32\Keylogger family) and technologies like heuristics and HIPS. There is however, no particular feature such as a specific anti-keylogging module.

I myself have not done any testing to determine what third-party anti-keylogging programs are compatible with ESET's software. At a minimum, I would expect both programs need to be configured to exclude each other, though.

I am unsure of why requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to logon would prevent a keylogger from being installed on a system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Mr. Goretsky:

Thank you for answering my questions.

Re your "I am unsure of why requiring a Ctrl-Alt-Delete to logon would prevent a keylogger from being installed on a system":  I am unsure also.  My understanding is that requiring Ctrl-Alt-Delete before a logon prevents malware from capturing the login name and password (David Pogue's Windows 7, the Missing Manual, O'Reilly publisher, page 771).  Since I don't understand how malware keyloggers work, I thought that maybe Ctrl+Alt+Delete might not only prevent a malware keylogger from capturing a password but might also block other keystrokes. (I also don't understand how anti-keyloggers work.)

FYI Re Raxco's PerfectGuard anti-keylogger and also anti-clipboard logger:  By email I asked Raxco's customer service whether their PerfectGuard anti-keylogger would work with Eset's anti-virus, and they answered back that PerfecctGuard would not interfere with Eset's software.

But I haven't tried PerfectGuard myself.

I may try PerfectGuard on a trial basis.  I did just now ran their simulator anti-keylogger test at hxxp://download.raxco.com/keylogger-simulator, and it claimed that I was vulnerable to a malware keylogger.  Of course, Eset's NOD32 v7.x was running on my computer.  But since I wasn't typing anything (just watching the screen), I am a bit skeptical that the simulator was actually giving Eset's presence an actual test.

Other Raxco software --- PerfectDisk (defragger) and PerfectUpdater (driver updates) --- has worked well for me, although I've only been using the latest versions for less than a month.

Later this week I will try to find time to do a more through test of PerfectGuard, and I will then report my findings here.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S.  Raxco's response to my questions was the following email:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: RE: Raxco Software Case # 00025676:- Form submission from: Contact Us [ ref:_00D301FVTK._500a0d2CgN:ref ] Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 15:24:42 +0000 (GMT) From: Susie Colon <consumersupport@raxco.com> To: rnfolsom@redshift.com <rnfolsom@redshift.com>

R.N.,

Thanks for contacting support.

Without the webcam logger, PerfectGuard still scans for keyboard & clipboard loggers.

It is compatible with ESET.

You can find more information here:
hxxp://www.raxco.com/home/products/perfectguard#antivirus-compatibility

Susie

Edited by RNFolsom

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello Dr. Folsom,

I do not have a copy of David Pogue's Windows 7, the Missing Manual handy, but looking at that particular page via Amazon, it appears it is discussing the "Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to log on" prompt that used to appear when logging into some older version of Windows.  The concern at the time, as I understand it, was that the computer could have already been booted up, logged into, and someone could then have run a fake "login screen" program to steal the credentials of the next person to use it.  Unfortunately, with malware running earlier and earlier in the boot process these days, the amount of security this mechanism now provides is somewhat decreased.

I am unfamliar with Raxco's PerfectGuard program, but will ask our QA department if they can test it for compatibility with ESET's software. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky:

Thanks very much for your post, and the information there.

Given the Christmas season, I have not had time to check out the trial Raxco's PerfectGuard, but I do intend to try it.  I will post my results here.  (Incidentally, before I try PerfectGuard, I will have made a backup image of my partition C:, so I can restore that rather than trust the completeness of Microsoft's Win7sp1 uninstall procedures.)

You wrote that you would ask Eset's "QA department if they can test it [PerfectGuard] for compatibility with ESET's software."  Of course that would be very useful, and I hope they can do it.

In your post of 13 December in this thread, you wrote that "ESET's software detects keyloggers using both conventional signatures (which detect many as part of the Win32\Keylogger family) and technologies like heuristics and HIPS. There is however, no particular feature such as a specific anti-keylogging module."

Your first sentence there was good news, and it would be interesting to know if Eset's software --- even without a "specific anti-keylogging module --- makes other anti-keylogger software such as PerfectGuard unnecessary.

Cordially, R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Edited by RNFolsom

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Not being as familiar with anti-keylogging software as I am with ESET's, I could not say how much additional protection they provide, if any, over ESET's existing technologies. This is also one of those areas where the risk level varies wildly between computer usage scenarios.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 3 months later...

Hello, I am new here. Is there anyone who can tell me which keylogger really works? I need one for parental control purpose. Free ones will be better.

hello sweetjelly,

Around here, as you can tell from the reading, we really discourage keyloggers, however for parental controls, i can understand.

I do not know of any free ones that are trustworthy not to capture strings other then specified keywords.

I can however recommend some product that works great, but it costs $$.

See the following company Brickhouse, and their "Monitoring" page :

httx://www.brickhousesecurity.com/category/cell+phone+and+pc+monitoring.do

Above all else, ESET Smart Security has Parental Controls as well, just not keylogging. I recommend it over keylogging for restricting access, however keylogging is more of a "catch in the act".

What is Parental control and what does it do?

ESET Parental Control Features

Edited by foneil
delinked url

Same here I can't say anything about the free stuff, but i've heard that Spector works good if you configure it correctly.

Edited by SweX

• 6 months later...

A year ago I installed a best keylogger software on my personal computer and I am very satisfied. I also installed keyloggers on all computers in my company, to keep track of real work that my empolyees are doing, and  I must say that the given informations were really good.

Edited by foneil
delinked url