web console login issue

hi:

when I test ERA 6.2 & 6.3, the web console is unstable, sometimes it can not login, sometimes it dies and need to restart tomcat.

ERA 6.4 is much stable, I don't need to restart tomcat anymore. but I still notice 2 issues:

1. if try to connect ERA when ERA server is booting, it will wait for very long time (like 10 minutes) to show the login screen. it seems like ERA is unhappy to be interrupted when starting.

2. sometimes I can not access the login screen. reboot the computer or reboot the ERA server won't help. clear the browser cache helps. I am using firefox under windows 7.

when access ERA the browser try hard but only show screenshot below:

post-4997-0-38757600-1474353547_thumb.jpg

Edited by tbsky

• ESET Staff

Regarding slow login after SERVER boot: this may be related to execution of "missed" task. for example if your SERVER is not running during midnight, database cleanups will be executed just after next startup and that may result in similar behavior. There may be also other tasks causing this issue.

Inability of login screen initialization is something I have not see for long time. Could you please check system resources on machine where tomcat is located during login screen load? Maybe there is insufficient memory? Or very slow disk?

Regarding slow login after SERVER boot: this may be related to execution of "missed" task. for example if your SERVER is not running during midnight, database cleanups will be executed just after next startup and that may result in similar behavior. There may be also other tasks causing this issue.

Inability of login screen initialization is something I have not see for long time. Could you please check system resources on machine where tomcat is located during login screen load? Maybe there is insufficient memory? Or very slow disk?

hi:

reboot the server and login asap will delay, so it seems not midnight problem.

clear browser cache fix my second problem immediately.  reboot the pc or server is useless. I have met the situation several times.

the server loading is idle when I can not login. but I don't know how to reproduce it.

Edited by tbsky

• ESET Staff

By reboot server you mean whole operating system or only SERVER's service? What is the average delay until login is possible - or it is always at least 10 minutes? We have seen similar behavior in case database connection could not be established immediately - for example because database is not ready for incoming connections - this may happen especially after operating system startup. Once this happen, we wait for some time until another attempt is made, but it should not be more than minute.

My recommendation is to check SERVER's trace.log (even if default logging verbosity is used) and search for "Kernel" -> you should be able to see startup and shutdown sequence, i.e. "Loading", "Initializing" and "Start" of modules -> where time differences may point us to responsible module and possibly operation that is causing startup issues. There is also possibility that your database is extremely slow - is it installed locally on the same system as ERA Server?

Could you provide more details of platform, ERA installation steps (used all-in-one installer?) and your browser type and version? Have you tried to open login windows also with different browsers?

On screenshot we can see that login screen is not properly loaded ... is this how it looks like during login attempt => after you clicked login, or even before form is shown? What error message is shown in case login fails? There should be also relevant "Error" in SERVER's trace log, it may contain more detailed error message.

By reboot server you mean whole operating system or only SERVER's service? What is the average delay until login is possible - or it is always at least 10 minutes? We have seen similar behavior in case database connection could not be established immediately - for example because database is not ready for incoming connections - this may happen especially after operating system startup. Once this happen, we wait for some time until another attempt is made, but it should not be more than minute.

My recommendation is to check SERVER's trace.log (even if default logging verbosity is used) and search for "Kernel" -> you should be able to see startup and shutdown sequence, i.e. "Loading", "Initializing" and "Start" of modules -> where time differences may point us to responsible module and possibly operation that is causing startup issues. There is also possibility that your database is extremely slow - is it installed locally on the same system as ERA Server?

Could you provide more details of platform, ERA installation steps (used all-in-one installer?) and your browser type and version? Have you tried to open login windows also with different browsers?

On screenshot we can see that login screen is not properly loaded ... is this how it looks like during login attempt => after you clicked login, or even before form is shown? What error message is shown in case login fails? There should be also relevant "Error" in SERVER's trace log, it may contain more detailed error message.

hi:

by reboot I mean reboot the server.

actually the situation of ERA 6.4 is good enough for me. I just need to clear the browser cache sometimes and things can go on. I don't need to do anything at server side.  I always use firefox, so I don't know if other browser will met this situation.