Console says Agent deployed successfully but did not install

Go to solution Solved by mstroud_pfi,

For troubleshooting, I would look at the Windows event viewer on the client, as the installation is done via standard MSI logic which is normally good wit the logging. The installer will also create its own log file, but try eventvwr.msc on the client first.

Jim

• Former ESET Employees

Hello mstroud_pfi,

As jimwillsher mentioned, event viewer should contain some entry related to the Agent deployment. Could you also check the directory %Windir%\Temp and look for the file 'ra-agent-install.log'. If you have this file, please let me know and I can take a look at it.

If you do not see this log file, please try downloading the Agent msi package directly from the repository. This is a good test to make sure your target machines are able to download files from repository.eset.com. Please use this directly URL to test:

hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v6/6.4.283.0/Agent_x64.msi

Best,

Eric

Yes, I found the ra-agent log.

=== Verbose logging started: 9/9/2016  8:40:46  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.7601.00  Calling process: C:\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:633]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:633]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:633]: ******* RunEngine:
           ******* Product: C:\Windows\Temp\Agent_x86.msi
           ******* Action: 
           ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:633]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:633]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:680]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:680]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:680]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:758]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI © (34:C8) [08:40:46:758]: MainEngineThread is returning 1618
=== Verbose logging stopped: 9/9/2016  8:40:46 ===

Event Viewer Entry:

The description for Event ID 0 from source ESET Remote Installer cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

ESET Remote Installer
Execution finished with 0x0, The operation completed successfully. Error code: 0x0

I logged into the computer and tried the local install but it failed because another install was already in progress.  I noticed there were multiple MSIEXC processes running so it must hung even though it said successfully.  I rebooted the machine and tried the install again.  The install got all the way to "starting services" and then failed but the agent installed.  Hopefully it's a one time thing.

• Former ESET Employees

Just to confirm, is the ERA Agent Service on the workstation running now? And does that agent check-in to ERA server successfully?

• Solution

Eric,

Actually, the service kept crashing so I had to remove the agent and then reboot.  I was able to deploy it from the console successfully after the reboot so I'm not really sure what the issue was when I first deployed it. 

• Former ESET Employees

mstroud_pfi,

It sounds like the application did not install correctly, and thus you were encountering strange/unusual application problems. I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue on your own, however, please feel free to send me the Agent install log I referenced earlier I can attempt to look through that to find a potential cause of the problem. I sent you a PM with a link you can upload the log to.

Out of curiosity, did you have an earlier version of ESET Endpoint Antivirus/Security installed on the computer, perhaps v5?

Best,

Eric