Device Control - block USB storage only

Hello community

I am just trying out ESET Endpoint Sec. and the device control is giving me a little headache.

My goal is to block USB storage devices but allow pretty much anything else. When I go to device control I can select "storage devices" but I can't tell ESET to only block USB attached devices - the way it says "storage devices" I do assume it will also block internal SATA/SAS hard drives as well (in the help section it says "hard discs, USB-storage" - this undermines my fear) - sub sections of manufacturer, serial etc isn't helping here as far as I can see.

Is there a way to block USB storage only?

I doubt it will block internal SATA/SAS - otherwise how would the computer still function?

The idea is to stop threats coming in and sensitive data going out, so the purpose is to block external, pluggable devices.

Your best bet is...just try it.

Jim

I doubt it will block internal SATA/SAS - otherwise how would the computer still function?

The idea is to stop threats coming in and sensitive data going out, so the purpose is to block external, pluggable devices.

Your best bet is...just try it.

Jim

LoL :-) - yeah I will when I am at the location. Just in case anything goes wrong it is best to be there,,,

• 4 weeks later...
+1!

We want to disable the ability to use USB Mass Storage on our iMacs.

Device Control and Media Control do not seem to work with OS X machines.

I created a Policy with Device Control enabled to block Disk Storage, and also enable Media Control to block everything except for CD/DVD.

All settings were set to Force.

I applied the policy and rebooted the computers assigned to it.

I verified that the computers had the correct policies in place.

I inserted a USB stick, it mounted, and I could write to it.

This is not what I want.

What am I doing wrong?

We are running ERA Server 6.4.295.0.

The clients are OS 10.11 with Endpoint Antivirus 6.3.85.1 and ERA Agent 6.4.232.0.