ESET Endpoint 6.4.2014.0 Windows 10 issues

chris-w

So I just installed ESET Endpoint on my Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit system and instantly my Windows Start button (bottom left hand corner) has become inactive and I can no longer view any file properties (right click on a file and choosing properties from the drop-down)

I had a similar problem on several other Windows 10 machines (all clean new installations) running the Standard ESET Smart Security. 

If I go in to the task manager (CTRL ALT and DEL) and find 'Windows Explorer>System' under processes and restart it I am good for a while and then it sort of all happens again? I'm getting really sick of having to always restart this to use my system properly.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated!

• Administrators

Never come across nor heard about such issue with relation to ESET. Do you use default settings in Endpoint? Does the problem occur only right after installation or also after a computer restart? If you are able to reproduce it, try temporarily disabling automatic real-time protection start and HIPS, one at a time, and restart the computer. Let us know if disabling either of the protection modules make a difference.

So I turned off Real_time file system protection and it seems to have 1/2 resolved the issue, the Start bar is working again always but I still cant see file properties? After selection it just does nothing..

Ideally I'd prefer if this was on though and not causing the problem. Are there any potential log files I could pull to help find out why this was happening?

Edited by chris-w

• 1 month later...

OK this is still a massive issue for me and after just having spent $350 on ESET for all of our office machines I need to get this resolved or I'll have to get a refund and move on to using something different.

The problem is still the same as originally documented. Are there any logs I can pull that would help identify what is causing this issue so I can start to make progress...

• ESET Staff

What we will ideally need is a full memory dump, so our devs could analyze what is locking your system.

Have you tried to uninstall ESET? Was the issue occurring then?
Also, what is the status of Windows Defender? Is it switched off completely?

• 1 month later...

I've got the same problem here, fixed by twice reboot of the machine. But now, the GUI won't come up any more...

Regards, xola

• Administrators

To start off, please collect logs with ESET Log Collector from troublesome machines. Also try to generate a complete memory dump as per the instructions at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb380/ when the system freezes.
If egui.exe doesn't start with Windows, create a Process Monitor boot log as per the instructions at https://www.msigeek.com/6231/how-to-enable-system-boot-time-logging-using-process-monitor-tool.