ESET account and license

throwaway9

I have two questions, but couldn't find solutions on the KB.

I remember my previous antivirus having a "license center" where you could login with your account and see your currently active licenses and see how many installs are left. I can't seem to figure out how to do that with ESET, I signed up for an ESET account when I bought it and would like to know if you have that option.

If I ever have to reinstall my operating systems one day, either by Dell's software or another option, how can I be sure ESET will detect that its still the same computer and not inadvertently use my third remaining spot on my license?

Please move this thread if it's in the wrong place, I wasn't sure where to post it.

ESET doesn't use such systems and actually is the most flexible when it comes to reinstallation/reactivation.

The way it works is it detects the IP, Computer Name/config of the computer trying to perform updates. If that number is within your license count, then you're fine. If it detects that more than X amount of computers are being updated at the same time then they flag your license.

Mods, please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Former ESET Employees

Phoenix has it pretty much right:

1. At this time there is no way to login and view your license or edit your profile/account information. This is something we've looked into but haven't found a solution we're satisfied with. We plan to continue searching for a solution but in the meantime, ESET Customer Care is the best route for getting current license info, changing account info (name, email, address, phone, etc) etc

2. Whenever your ESET product contacts our servers for an update, the server checks your license to verify it's current and then keeps track of how many devices are trying to update using the same credentials. Since a computer that's no longer being used or the o/s that you just installed over won't be checking for updates, you don't have to worry about ESET inadvertently using (or detecting) the third remaining spot on your license?

Since a computer that's no longer being used or the o/s that you just installed over won't be checking for updates, you don't have to worry about ESET inadvertently using (or detecting) the third remaining spot on your license?

So if I reinstall my operating system and reinstall ESET using my activation code, it will detect it as the same computer? What if I have to replace the HDD and what if I want to transfer ESET from an old computer (one it was installed on before) to a new one?

• Former ESET Employees

"If I reinstall my operating system and reinstall ESET...it will detect it as the same computer?" Yes

"What if I want to transfer ESET from an old computer (one it was installed on before) to a new one?" You can do this and it won't count against your total "users" count.

The only time that old HDD or old computer would show up as an extra device on your "users" count, is if it:

A.) Still had ESET installed on it

AND

B.) Was connected to the internet

If either one of those is not the case, then you have nothing to worry about.  :D

• 1 month later...

"If I reinstall my operating system and reinstall ESET...it will detect it as the same computer?" Yes

"What if I want to transfer ESET from an old computer (one it was installed on before) to a new one?" You can do this and it won't count against your total "users" count.

The only time that old HDD or old computer would show up as an extra device on your "users" count, is if it:

A.) Still had ESET installed on it

AND

B.) Was connected to the internet

If either one of those is not the case, then you have nothing to worry about.  :D

i don't think this is true. 

I run a laptop using ESET SS9, and had used it on my desktop that I upgraded, I had to re-use the licence key to install SS9 on my upgraded desktop (new HDD), and now it's time for me to renew my license and it shows that I'm using 3 licenses. I also can't renew my licence because ESET renewal won't recognize my licence key, even though it auto fills in the line... but that is all in another post.

My confidence with ESET is diminishing quickly...