World of Warcraft, Battle.net launcher - Firewall Interactive Mode

I use ESET SS in interactive mode.  I've been having a problem with WoW for a while, which is that the launcher seems to create a new executable in a different folder each time the launcher updates, and this causes the Create Permanent Rule option to not work very well:

So one day it might be this:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net.7848\Battle.net.exe

And then there's an update at some point, and this one becomes the new executable:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\Battle.net.7939\Battle.net.exe

... which prompts a new popup for the firewall.

How would you recommend I best work around this?

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

Hrm.  Is this just user-to-user support?

Not entirely but seems that way sometimes. I could be wrong and can't test because I don't have WoW, but maybe you could try creating an exception with a wildcard, such as excluding "c:\Program Files (x86)\Battle.net\*\Battle.net.exe".  That is what I would try unless someone else posts a better suggestion. I have used wildcards before, I'm wanting to think it should work.

• Administrators

I reckon that firewall accepts only full path to executables, mainly for security reasons. Having said that, it's not possible to create a rule that would accept wildcards in the path and thus make it valid for multiple files.

• Former ESET Employees

This only appears to be a problem while using interactive mode. Automatic filtering mode should not filter out any communication with Blizzard/WoW Servers. For preventing the 'Allow/refuse' prompt while in interactive mode, it may be possible to just make a general rule to allow communication with their servers.

Example: Allow outbound communication for Port 80 to the IP address of their servers.
--Replace port 80 with whatever port they use for their launcher.

If you decide to make a rule in this manner, it's best practice to be as specific as possible.

Best,

EricJ