Eset EEA 5: A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending, bla bla

Norm@Home
Go to solution Solved by RvW,

I had tried to update a system with Eset Endpoint Anti-virus 5 (on a Windows 8.1 machine) to the latest available version of 5 and at the end of the install (after it had uninstalled the old version) I get this message: "A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending, and that setup cannot continue" I found the support article about this problem hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3361/?viewlocale=en_USbut the thing is that none of the registry keys that it mentions HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates\UpdateExeVolatime or HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\PendingFileRenameOperations or HKLMSoftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\InProgress seem to exist and no matter how many reboots I've done I keep getting this message. I've also tried searching the registry for these keys and they just don't exist.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

The suggestion to delete / rename the PendingFileRenameOperations value described in hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3361/ is also suggested in knowledgebase articles of other software vendors. Weird that it didn't work for you.

I really don't know, as I said I've checked those keys or values and they simply don't exist on this computer even though I've rebooted multiple times and rechecked them multiple times; I've been a little busy on other projects but I have to try RvW's suggestion of using the Eset Uninstaller. I'll try that tomorrow and get back to you.

As I'd said previously none of the registry keys in the Eset article actually existed but running the ESet uninstaller did something because after a reboot I was able to install the latest version.

Thanks everyone for your help!