create dynamic group based on AD group?

Go to solution Solved by MichalJ,

hi:

I can create dynamic group and apply policy based on AD group under Version 5. but I don't know how to do this in version 6. under version 6 I can only create static group based on AD group. is there trick I am missing?

thanks a lot for help!!

• ESET Staff
  • Solution

Hello,

This is currently not possible.

Also, if I may, what use-case is behind this request? What are you trying to achieve?

Why is the static group membership not sufficient?
Should be the AD membership tight to the computer, or to the logged in user?

Should it be based on the OUs, or Security Groups?

Hello,

This is currently not possible.

Also, if I may, what use-case is behind this request? What are you trying to achieve?

Why is the static group membership not sufficient?

Should be the AD membership tight to the computer, or to the logged in user?

Should it be based on the OUs, or Security Groups?

hi:

we have two licenses and need to apply to different computers. any good way to activate products via groups? currently the design is to activate product automatically when computer fall into "unactivated" dynamic group. I want to find a way to automatically activated the computers with two different licenses.

and I need to define different policies for different computer groups.

Edited by tbsky

If you already have computers in different static groups (e.g. synced from AD) and want to automatically apply different licenses to different static  groups, you can just create dynamic groups under these static groups with the same "Unactivated Computers" template, then hook different activation tasks to these child dynamic groups.

These dynamic groups will apply only to computers in parent static groups.

If you already have computers in different static groups (e.g. synced from AD) and want to automatically apply different licenses to different static  groups, you can just create dynamic groups under these static groups with the same "Unactivated Computers" template, then hook different activation tasks to these child dynamic groups.

These dynamic groups will apply only to computers in parent static groups.

hi:

yes I am stupid. I had already create the dynamic groups for activation. but somehow I met some strange behavior, the client always activated with wrong license.  I am still trying to figure out what happened.

how can I deactivate the software? I now uninstall/reboot/resinstall the software for testing license, hope there is a quick way for testing...

• ESET Staff

You can simply activate it with different license.

Or, removing of the license could be done using the option "deactivate products", which is available within the "computers" section, in the footer selection.

You need to select the computers on which you want to remove / deactivate the license and click "deactivate products"

post-35-0-23647700-1472650935_thumb.png

You can simply activate it with different license.

Or, removing of the license could be done using the option "deactivate products", which is available within the "computers" section, in the footer selection.

You need to select the computers on which you want to remove / deactivate the license and click "deactivate products"

hi:

I had try "deactivate products". but the software installed in unaffected. I think that only deactivate license at server, not at client?

• ESET Staff

It works only in a case, that client was activated using "online" license (license key / security admin account).

This works in the way, that ESET Remote Administrator contacts ESET Licensing Servers, and those are synced with Endpoints cca every 6 hours. So you should wait, till the changes makes effect.

It works only in a case, that client was activated using "online" license (license key / security admin account).

This works in the way, that ESET Remote Administrator contacts ESET Licensing Servers, and those are synced with Endpoints cca every 6 hours. So you should wait, till the changes makes effect.

hi:

if need to wait 6 hours for deactivation, then I still need to use uninstall/reboot/reinstall for testing. can I delete something in my computer so the license is deactivated?

I thought license management is easy, so I didn't focus it when testing, but now I am really confused about the behavior. I will create another thread since it is not related to dynamic group creating.

thanks again for your kindly help!!