Intermittent Black screen with Cursor upon log off with Windows 10 (1511)

ashley

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across an issue with ESET Endpoint AV. Basically ever since migrating everyone over to Windows 10 Pro version 1511 from Windows 7 we found that upon occasion when a user logged out they received a black screen with a cursor. If you wait a number of minutes the login screen would return. This is a VERY intermittent issue but always seems to occur at the most inconvenient times of switching user. Obviously this is unusual and unwanted behavior. 

post-13541-0-51292400-1472498621_thumb.png

PCs have latest available Windows Updates from August. I uninstalled and updated to the latest available ESET Endpoint 6.4.2014.0. Still problem persisted.

I started to question my image or 3rd party software contained within I even updated the display drivers to the latest available with no luck.

So to rule that out I created a Virtual Machine (using VMware) from a fresh ISO install of Windows 10 Pro version 1511. Windows Update performed. No other 3rd party software installed apart from VMware Tools and latest version of ESET Endpoint installed and rebooted. Funnily enough the problem still persisted.

After reading a post on the forums about a user having issues with HIPS I turned my attention to this. With self-defense disabled I could not replicate the issue. So turned it back on enabled logging of HIPS and checked the logs. I noticed that some aspect of winlogon was being blocked which raised my suspicion...

post-13541-0-50629700-1472496802_thumb.png

And thus I created a rule for the following

Rule Settings:

Rule Name - Allow Winlogon

Action - Allow

Operations affecting: Applications - Ticked

Enabled - Ticked

Source Applications:

C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Application Operations:

Terminated/suspends another application - Ticked

Modify state of another application - Ticked

Specific Applications:

C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

Since adding this rule I no longer have this issue anymore. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Is this a known bug in ESET Endpoint AV? I suspect that due to the intermittent nature of the problem and the fact that most people don't log out too frequently it is understandable it hasn't been picked up yet. I'm concerned that adding this rule may lower security in some way.

Thanks.

Edited by ashley

I would like to confirm this behaviour.

We never put this in relation with Eset security solutions but we can confirm seeing the black screen with mouse cursor only for minutes after logging of from Win 10. The black screen after logoff appeared by random(approx 1 of 5 Loggoffs) on 20 PCs on 4 different Networks of our customers.

We never thought it´s related to eset software installed, we thought it´s a win 10 bug.

Because this problem was evident when setting up the PCs and was never seen in daily use(Power-On - Logon - Power off) we didn´t investigate further.

After reading your post i tried the following: At one customer location i set the exclusion rule at one Computer and tried to log off on this PC and another without the exclusion set for 20 times.

The PC with the Exclusion set never showed the black screen after logoff, on the PC without the exclusion the black screen happend 4 times).

Congratulations for your findings.

I would like to confirm this behaviour.

We never put this in relation with Eset security solutions but we can confirm seeing the black screen with mouse cursor only for minutes after logging of from Win 10. The black screen after logoff appeared by random(approx 1 of 5 Loggoffs) on 20 PCs on 4 different Networks of our customers.

We never thought it´s related to eset software installed, we thought it´s a win 10 bug.

Because this problem was evident when setting up the PCs and was never seen in daily use(Power-On - Logon - Power off) we didn´t investigate further.

After reading your post i tried the following: At one customer location i set the exclusion rule at one Computer and tried to log off on this PC and another without the exclusion set for 20 times.

The PC with the Exclusion set never showed the black screen after logoff, on the PC without the exclusion the black screen happend 4 times).

Congratulations for your findings.

I would also like to confirm the issue you have been experiencing.  I have been working with ESET support since May on the issue.  Please open tickets as the more information they can gather should hopefully lead to a fix. 

Interesting. We've never had this at log off but do frequently have it at log on. User enters username and password but then never sees the desktop. I, too, never made a link to ESET.

I'd be very careful about allowing svchost.exe though, as many viruses inject themselves into svchost.exe processes.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello kingoftheworld.

I have a ticket logged #182652. Actually they got back to me today and the developers have asked what the HIPS support module version is on affected PC's which I duly gave them (version 1244) so I'm now waiting on them. I have previously given them process monitor traces of when the problem actually occurs and asked them to replicate the issue. May I ask where you are with your case and your case number? so I get them to group it under the same issue. Thanks.

If anyone else has any case numbers feel free to post these too.

Ashley.

More a microsoft bug than than eset. This fixes it for me. Sometimes simply waiting several minutes like boiling a kettle allows the login screen to be displayed.

his is a real shot in the dark, but try turning off Fast Startup...

This feature only works when you do a SHUTDOWN and then Boot.

It doesn't effect a RESTART.

To turn it off or on...

Go to Control panel...Power Options, and select Choose What the Power Buttons Do on the left.

Then select Change Settings That are Currently Unavailable near the top center of screen...

Lower down on the window, uncheck Fast Startup.

Of courser when the os updates this tends to get turned back on so the issue comes back.

Never seen it with logging off though.

Hello kingoftheworld.

I have a ticket logged #182652. Actually they got back to me today and the developers have asked what the HIPS support module version is on affected PC's which I duly gave them (version 1244) so I'm now waiting on them. I have previously given them process monitor traces of when the problem actually occurs and asked them to replicate the issue. May I ask where you are with your case and your case number? so I get them to group it under the same issue. Thanks.

If anyone else has any case numbers feel free to post these too.

Ashley.

I have referenced your ticket number with my case, 1429979.  I am currently awaiting a reply and will let you know what I hear.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the same issue

Sometimes when logging off this happens.

When switching account rather than logging out it always gives a black screen with me.

Any updates?

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has come across an issue with ESET Endpoint AV. Basically ever since migrating everyone over to Windows 10 Pro version 1511 from Windows 7 we found that upon occasion when a user logged out they received a black screen with a cursor. If you wait a number of minutes the login screen would return. This is a VERY intermittent issue but always seems to occur at the most inconvenient times of switching user. Obviously this is unusual and unwanted behavior. 

attachicon.gifcap2.png

PCs have latest available Windows Updates from August. I uninstalled and updated to the latest available ESET Endpoint 6.4.2014.0. Still problem persisted.

I started to question my image or 3rd party software contained within I even updated the display drivers to the latest available with no luck.

So to rule that out I created a Virtual Machine (using VMware) from a fresh ISO install of Windows 10 Pro version 1511. Windows Update performed. No other 3rd party software installed apart from VMware Tools and latest version of ESET Endpoint installed and rebooted. Funnily enough the problem still persisted.

After reading a post on the forums about a user having issues with HIPS I turned my attention to this. With self-defense disabled I could not replicate the issue. So turned it back on enabled logging of HIPS and checked the logs. I noticed that some aspect of winlogon was being blocked which raised my suspicion...

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

And thus I created a rule for the following

Rule Settings:

Rule Name - Allow Winlogon

Action - Allow

Operations affecting: Applications - Ticked

Enabled - Ticked

Source Applications:

C:\Windows\System32\csrss.exe

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Application Operations:

Terminated/suspends another application - Ticked

Modify state of another application - Ticked

Specific Applications:

C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe

Since adding this rule I no longer have this issue anymore. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this? Is this a known bug in ESET Endpoint AV? I suspect that due to the intermittent nature of the problem and the fact that most people don't log out too frequently it is understandable it hasn't been picked up yet. I'm concerned that adding this rule may lower security in some way.

Thanks.

I have the same problem with ESET Smart securty 9 and 8 ver. 2 min. Black Screen at start up

How I can  created this rule in ESET Smart Security 9 ?

Edited by pic14

H Guys,

I can also confirm that I have seen it happen at start up too but not as often.

Just an update for you. ESET requested a memory dump which I have provided. They say that while they have had a few reports they havn't got the required level of information to try to resolve this as they havn't been able to reproduce this.

I though this was a bit strange as it was easily reprocducable on a vanilla install of Windows 10 within a virtual machine. Anyway the developers have acknowledged reciept and I have been told they have raised this as a prioity.

I urge anyone else that has this issue to report it to the ESET help desk and ask to link it to my ticket - 182652. The more reports they have about this the better...

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

the issue should be fixed in HIPS support module: 1250.

We will release the module gradually, please check if the issue persists after you receive this update. If yes, please let us know.

Regards, P.R.

Hello guys,

the issue should be fixed in HIPS support module: 1250.

We will release the module gradually, please check if the issue persists after you receive this update. If yes, please let us know.

In addition to the two-minute black screen with the cursor Eset causing very long off the computer, that is, the screen turns off and the computer for a few minutes turns off.

The same problems apply to: ESET Smart Security version 9 and 8, as well as ESET Nod32 version 9

I hope these two problems will be resolved quickly.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Why did you change "HIPS module 1250" to "HIPS module 1247", what was the reason?

Do you actually have Endpoint v6 installed? It should download HIPS module 1252 while HIPS 1247 is currently available for Endpoint v5.

Why did you change "HIPS module 1250" to "HIPS module 1247", what was the reason?

Do you actually have Endpoint v6 installed? It should download HIPS module 1252 while HIPS 1247 is currently available for Endpoint v5.

I use ESET Smart Security 9 and the problem returned after returning to the module HIPS 1247. :(

HIPS module 1250 did not cause any problems in ESET Smart Securty 9.

Edited by pic14

• Administrators

HIPS module in 1250 did not cause any problems. Please return module HIPS 1250 in ESET Smart securty 9

You have posted in the Endpoint forum which is not intended for home users. Home users will receive HIPS module 1253 next week which will address this issue.

• Administrators

16 days later and still on HIPS 1249...when this is coming??

V1250 was withdrawn 9 days ago. In the mean time, the issue has been fixed and v1253 will be released for home users next week.