Can I use license from earlier version for newer version?

I have Eset SS v5 and my license is expiring soon, but accidently upgraded to SS v6 (since it simply was there and free) through Eset's interface, can I still buy a new SS v5 and use that license or will I have to buy SS v6 now that I have upgraded to v6?

Edited by 3set

• Administrators

I just wonder why one would want to downgrade given that newer versions address issues from the previous ones and protection against threats is improved as well.

I just wonder why one would want to downgrade given that newer versions address issues from the previous ones and protection against threats is improved as well.

This is true.

Are earliery versions more light-weight and compact, possible dumping less into memory, and taking up less disk space, due to the fact they have less options, and lower standards of malware scoping ? ( Of course not referencing the definitions at all. )

Would be the final and only reason i could think of ?

Well, here a short list of possible reasons why I think people stick to older versions of programs (in general):

1. They don't know that there is a newer version.

2. They run a mission-critical system(s) and don't want to take chances breaking things.

3. They tried the new version already and caused them trouble and don't want bother troubleshooting, reporting...etc. or maybe they don't like the changes.

4. They have heavily customized and configured the program, and don't want to export then import settings across major versions, and also don't want to spend time reconfiguring.

5. They dislike change and stick with what they're more familiar with.

5. They don't like the new interface :lol:

And I can go on and on listing possible reasons.

Sometimes there are good reasons and sometimes not.

PS. Why not all people are upgrading to Windows 8 although it was offered for a dirt cheap price? Or even, why some people are still sticking to their Windows XP? ;)

You guys are reading too far into this, I simply just need a new purchased username and password. Buying the SS v5 is less expensive than SS v6. Can others confirm Arakasi originally posted?

• Administrators

You purchase a license for a particular product which will entitle you to download and update any version of the product. With an ESET Smart Security license, you can also download and update ESET NOD32 Antivirus, if needed but not vice-versa.

To put it short. :)

With a valid ESET Smart Security license you can use any version of ESS or NOD32 Antivirus that you want.

With a valid ESET NOD32 Antivirus license you can use any version of NOD32 that you want.