I'm back to Eset 8.0.319.1

• Administrators

Back to 8.0.319.1 from what version? V9 has additional performance optimizations so it should be faster in terms of scanning files which was also confirmed by independent test organizations.

Back from 9.0.386.1.

In 8 It is also very easy to see the last scan date, scan time and used virus definitions. The info doesn't disappear.

I use windows 10 with O&O ShutUp10 (recommended settings) on an 8 years old 32 bit computer.

• Administrators

In 8 It is also very easy to see the last scan date, scan time and used virus definitions. The info doesn't disappear.

Now that v9.0.402 has been released as a program update (uPCU), are there any issues you are still having with v9?

Yes there are:

1) In 8 it it's very easy to see the last scan date, scan time and used virus definitions. The info doesn't disappear.

2) Eset 8 is much lighter and is running faster.

3) Eset 9  is sending a lot more information back, why, what information are you downloading from my computer?

4) I tried safe banking on a 64 bits lap-top with Mozilla Firefox but it blocked. It only would run using Explorer but that's not my browser...

No, you are not the only one:

• If you use HIPS in Interactive Mode, the Configure rules section is unusable because the rules are not sorted in any way, nor can they be sorted. This is crucial functionality which has been removed - it makes a lot of sense to remove the permissions for old versions of accident-prone software such as Java and FlashPlayer.
  • The Banking and Payment Protection element is worthless if you never use Internet Explorer.

• ESET Insiders

I have them because Agree, according to my personal experience the v8 runs much faster, cleaner and without these hip error than v9 and also has the representation v9 error without end

(German: Ich muss ihnen da Zustimmen, nach meinen Persönlichen Erfahrungen läuft die v8 viel schneller, sauberer und ohne diese Hip Fehler als die v9 und außerdem hat die v9 darstellungsfehler ohne Ende!)

• Administrators

Some of you have mentioned slower performance with v9 although it should be nimbler than v8 and previous versions due to further performance optimizations. If that's not the case, try temporarily disabling real-time protection and web protection, one at a time, to narrow it down. Then create a new topic where we could discuss it further.

The Banking and Payment Protection element is worthless if you never use Internet Explorer.

BPP works with IE, Firefox and Chrome:

post-10-0-79735200-1471455063_thumb.png

Guest MarcoO

Some of you have mentioned slower performance with v9 although it should be nimbler than v8 and previous versions due to further performance optimizations. If that's not the case, try temporarily disabling real-time protection and web protection, one at a time, to narrow it down. Then create a new topic where we could discuss it further.

The Banking and Payment Protection element is worthless if you never use Internet Explorer.

BPP works with IE, Firefox and Chrome:

attachicon.gifv9_bpp_chrome.png

I love the UI of ESET 9 and I can't really complain about the performance. But faster is always good  :lol:

'Protection statistic' (located Tools>More Tools) and scan logs (not scan logs from the 'Log-files' (Tools>More Tools) only from the Computerscan page at the main page) always reset themselves after shutdown the PC... strange but it isn't important for me.

Finally Chrome 64-bit support, thanks ESET and thanks Marcos for the information.

I tried it and it work like it have to.

Edited by MarcoO

• 3 weeks later...

Where can I download ESET SS 8.0.319.1?

I can no longer use the new version, so many problems that are putting me at risk for attack. Nothing fixes them, some are considered "upgrades" to make the software more user friendly. But at the risk of making a system more vulnerable -- that is simply unacceptable.

Please, anyone, can you tell me where I can the software to go back to version 8 from an ESET trusted download source?

Thank you.

Edited by deloppoled

• Administrators

I can no longer use the new version, so many problems that are putting me at risk for attack. Nothing fixes them, some are considered "upgrades" to make the software more user friendly. But at the risk of making a system more vulnerable -- that is simply unacceptable.

How upgrading from v8 to v9.0.386 made your system more vulnerable? What issues have you experienced with v9?

How upgrading from v8 to v9.0.386 made your system more vulnerable? What issues have you experienced with v9?

I too am quite curious as to why you feel more vulnerable. In regards to speed and lightness I find no real difference between v8 and v9. But if you wish to go back to v8 here is the link. hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2885/

Good luck,

Where can I download Eset 8.0.319.0?

Go the Eset download page

Choose: Advanced download

Choose other product version

Click on version and choose Eset 8

Choose your operation system, 32 bit or 64 bit

Choose your language

Download ESETUninstaller if you can't find it Google for it

(I use version 7.0.7.0).

Uninstall Eset 9.0

Restart your computer

Restart your computer after that in the safe mode (type MSCONFIG in the search function)

Run ESET Uninstaller

Restart your computer in the normal mode

Install Eset 8.0 (attention: Eset wants to download the latest version, so not too fast here...)

At this point (after installation) I had to restart twice to let all the functions in Eset work (the updates came in 2 parts).

This is how it worked for me.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you for your reply.

The biggest problem is that ESET SS Personal Firewall v9 (PF) does not post the destination IP address for outbound traffic,, just that EVERY outbound program wants to go to the DNS that I am using. The outbound notification message may as well be something like, 'The program C:\Program Files\...\Hello_World.exe wants outbound privileges to go somewhere/anywhere on the Internet, would you like to allow this?' because that is really all it is doing. I posted about it here in the forum at this link: Smart Security v9.0.386.0 Outbound Network Traffic Always Lists My DNS Server

In addition to the problem I address in the above post, the Rules Editor is no longer the useful tool it was back in v8 because of no IP Addresses being put there [in v9] to view and/or edit. It seems like the two things are probably related since PF is no longer resolving the IP address programs are going, it can't really include them in the rules.

post-13310-0-49157900-1472987751_thumb.jpg

I've been very pleased with NOD32 in v9, like I have been since I first decided to go with it a decade ago [or whenever that was]. The Personal Firewall though...

Thanks again for you for your time, have a nice day!

Dan AKA deloppoled

The biggest problem is that ESET SS Personal Firewall v9 (PF) does not post the destination IP address for outbound traffic,, just that EVERY outbound program wants to go to the DNS that I am using. The outbound notification message may as well be something like, 'The program C:\Program Files\...\Hello_World.exe wants outbound privileges to go somewhere/anywhere on the Internet, would you like to allow this?' because that is really all it is doing.

Appears the problem here is you are not creating rules by going into the "advanced setup" option when a firewall rule alert is generated. If you don't do that and checkmark specific actions such as port, protocol, etc., Eset just creates a outbound rule for example for all ports, IP addresses, etc.. Ver. 8 by the way works the same way.

@deloppoled: it's as 'itman' thinks, ie. if you have a firewall popup in interactive mode you must click 'advanced setup', otherwise you're creating overly permissive firewall rules eventually, see screenshot #1! "[deloppoled] BTW I edited the firewall rules and removed the entry for Firefox because I wanted something that I knew would want to communicate with the outside world right away": a very good way to check this out... It may even be necessary to click on 'details' first, ie. before clicking on 'advanced options', otherwise you're seeing an up to unusable firewall popup, ie. hiding precious information, thus making an informed and reasonable decision nearly impossible. Which might be a hint for your other problem "every program that produces an outgoing alert is displayed as wanting to reach the DNS Server that my system is currently configured to use".

Using the ESS V9 firewall in interactive mode myself heavily I have seen no severe problems with it, though there are some bugs / regressions / issues... (see screenshot #2) (incomplete list):

1. (regression / bug) firewall popup states protocol correctly, ie. 'TCP', 'UDP' etc, but (in case of 'TCP') always suggests 'TCP & UDP'. A highly annoying issue - beautifully shown in deloppoled's screenshot... ESET, you can be damned sure that this is the very first version of ESS ever that shows this nasty behaviour.

2. (regression) ESS V9 is (probably) the very first version ever that omits the 'log it' checkbox in the firewall popup, a highly annoying issue.

3. ESS V9 firewall rule edit grid: there are fields missing, at the bare minimum the 'log it' checkbox

4. (no bug, but where is ESET communicating this major change, which might impact existing user defined firewall rules severely?!? See screenshot #3) (Ie. if you have for example a browser firewall rule with 'OUT, all remote IPs, ports 80 + 443' and after that some others with fixed IP addresses and 'log it', you're "out of luck", until you notice this major change and have now to constantly switch the ordering of these rules...

5. (a business decision? Or just a regression?) up to ESS V9 there was a 'create similar (firewall) rule', a very useful feature. Eliminated in ESS V9.

Regarding the performance impact of ESS V9 I can say that the first version of ESS V9 was the very first version ever that made my (current) PC nearly unusable for the first ~7 minutes after starting it up. Thankfully all newer versions of ESS V9 don't show this nasty behaviour...

post-3617-0-82316200-1473138172_thumb.jpg

post-3617-0-65673200-1473138179_thumb.png

post-3617-0-35286900-1473138188_thumb.png