Virus Signature Database says up to date, but is not

Hi there, I seem to keep having problems with my virus signature update. It was saying it was not able to update the database on 7/25, so I uninstalled eset and reinstalled it and it seemed like it was working. However, what I didn't notice then is that now it is just claiming the virus signature database is up to date when it's not. My last successful update for the database was 7/29/2016, and the version for that was 13964. That database version is from 6/23, a month and a half ago. However, eset is still saying my virus signature is up to date. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, and it does not update my virus signature database. I have the latest version of Eset Smart Security. I have cleared the update cache and restarted, no difference. I am now getting the error that my "virus signature database out of date", but obviously clicking on "update now" for the virus signature database gives me "Update is not necessary - the virus signature database is up to date". What can I do? I would even update my virus signature database manually at this point.

I have the exact same problem. Last update from the virus definitions was 31/07 (Update 13722 - 20160628).

So the virus update is 7 days old and the database is more than month old. But when I click on update... It says that virus database is up to date...no update necessary.

Tried to empty the cache etc... but didn't help.

any suggestions?

• 3 months later...

Having the exact same problem here, would appreciate a fix on record instead of the standard "I've sent you a pm" response that I see all too often!

A response would be really appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Exact same problem here. My virus database is actually 14260, which is Oct database. when I try to update, it just says it is not necessary, it is the most updated which obviously it is not.

pls provide solution.

• Administrators

First of all, make sure that you have v10.0.386 installed (can be downloaded from ESET's website). Then open the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and turn on "Enable Update engine advanced logging". Next run manual update. When done, disable logging and provide me with the log file "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics\udpater*.etl".

The hong kong official website only has v10.0.369, which is supposed to be the latest and this is what I have.

And when I go into tools-->diagnostics.....I cannot find Enable update engine advanced logging.  There is only "enable protocal filtering advanced logging"

• Administrators

I'd try downloading the appropriate Live Installer anyways. Probably it's just a wrong version number on their website as the Live Installer should download the latest version from ESET's repository which is maintained by ESET HQ unlike the local distributor's website.

The option should appear there once you upgrade to 10.0.386.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Sharp1903 said:

I have the same problem, my version is 10.0.386.2 , it says up to date but last update was 8 days ago :(

Please carry on as suggested in my post above:

open the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and turn on "Enable Update engine advanced logging". Next run manual update. When done, disable logging and provide me with the log file "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics\udpater*.etl".

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please carry on as suggested in my post above:

open the advanced setup -> Tools -> Diagnostics and turn on "Enable Update engine advanced logging". Next run manual update. When done, disable logging and provide me with the log file "C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Diagnostics\udpater*.etl".

Done :)

updater_20161231_173214.rar

• Administrators

@Sharp1903

Apparently your v10 attempts to download update files from v9 update servers. Did you install v10 over v9? I'd suggest:
1, Backing up the folders C:\ProgramData\ESET\%ProductName%\updfiles folder as well as C:\Program Files\ESET\%ProductName% in case they will be needed for further investigation.
2, Uninstalling v10 completely.
3, Installing v10 from scratch.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

@Sharp1903

Apparently your v10 attempts to download update files from v9 update servers. Did you install v10 over v9? I'd suggest:
1, Backing up the folders C:\ProgramData\ESET\%ProductName%\updfiles folder as well as C:\Program Files\ESET\%ProductName% in case they will be needed for further investigation.
2, Uninstalling v10 completely.
3, Installing v10 from scratch.

Yes I installed v10 over v9 :(  I will try to fix it, thx 

• 2 weeks later...

able to update to the latest version, and followed your instruction. here is the diagnostic log file.

however, I changed it to "log" extension, as "etl" was not allowed. Hopefully you can still read it.

Hi Marcos,

have you able to read my log file.  And apparently, the last update date indicated is actually Dec 2015

On 2016/12/30 at 6:57 PM, Marcos said:

I'd try downloading the appropriate Live Installer anyways. Probably it's just a wrong version number on their website as the Live Installer should download the latest version from ESET's repository which is maintained by ESET HQ unlike the local distributor's website.

The option should appear there once you upgrade to 10.0.386.

On 2016/12/31 at 9:45 PM, chu said:

able to update to the latest version, and followed your instruction. here is the diagnostic log file.

however, I changed it to "log" extension, as "etl" was not allowed. Hopefully you can still read it.

updater_20161231_213624.log.txt

pls have a look on the log and advise. still unable to update.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, chu said:

pls have a look on the log and advise. still unable to update.

The same problem as above. Your v10 attempts to download v9 updates. Please try switching to pre-release updates in the advanced setup and click OK. You can then switch back to regular updates. Should the problem persist, uninstall v10 and install it from scratch.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have the exact same problem. As I read the topic and all the answers, I have uninstalled eset completely, deleted all the left files with the help of an uninstaller software and then restart the pc and reinstalled the latest version from scratch. But seems like it didn't help me.

Whatever I try, I always see the same under update section and what is written there is :

"Update is not necessary - the virus signature database is up to date."

"Last successful update: 13.04.2017 14:50:15"

"Virus signature database version: 15061 (20170309)"

I also created the log file as described in the answers above and attaching it too.

updater_20170522_163940.txt

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Kutay said:

I have uninstalled eset completely, deleted all the left files with the help of an uninstaller software and then restart the pc and reinstalled the latest version from scratch.

Did you run the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode to remove it completely? The thing is that a v9 update group is set in the registry for some reason and therefore v10 can't update.

Please try uninstalling ESET the same way as before but before installing v10 from scratch check if the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security" exists. If so, do not remove it manually yet as we'd be very grateful for being able to troubleshoot the issue and find out what went wrong.

On 5/22/2017 at 7:48 PM, Marcos said:

Did you run the ESET Uninstall tool in safe mode to remove it completely? The thing is that a v9 update group is set in the registry for some reason and therefore v10 can't update.

Please try uninstalling ESET the same way as before but before installing v10 from scratch check if the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security" exists. If so, do not remove it manually yet as we'd be very grateful for being able to troubleshoot the issue and find out what went wrong.

Thank you Marcos. It looks like it was because of the registry key that you mentioned.

I'm using ASC (Advaned System Care Pro) and most of the time I use its integrated uninstaller tool which helps me to find and delete all the left the registry entries after an uninstall process. Actually ASC uninstaller is just running the default uninstaller of the software that I want to uninstall plus it scans for the left registry entries after the default uninstaller finishes its work.

The same way I did before I again uninstalled ESET by the help of ASC's uninstaller and let it scan for all the left registry entries. I checked all the left registry entries listed by the ASC but I couldn't find the one that you mentioned among this list.

I didn't let ASC to delete any of the left entries and then restarted the computer. After the restart I again let ASC to scan for the left entries but it still didn't list the one you mentioned. Then I let ASC to delete all the left entries it listed and made a restart again.

After deleting all the left entries and restarting again ASC was not listing any left registry entries.

But when I run the regedit and checked the registry key manually, it was existing there.

I deleted it manually and installed ESET from scratch. Now it is updating the virus signature database properly.

Looks like, if we ever installed v9 once and upgraded to v10 from v9, then after from that point no matter if we completely uninstall and reinstall v10 from scratch, it still keeps the regarding registry entry existing there. And unfortunately the registry scanners can not find it even it has the ESET name in it. 

I really needed a proper system scan urgently so I was so eager to fix it asap. Sorry for not keeping the registry entry exists and letting you to troubleshoot on it.

I hope my explanations help you to analyze the problem. If you need to simulate the situation please feel free to ask any detail.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. It sticks to 15061 and I have recently updated to ESET v10 over ESET v9. I do not dare to completely remove ESET 10 as I have an interactive mode firewall with a lot of custom rules.

When I enable enhanced log, I also find ESET 9 references in etl file.

We urgently need a patch from ESET for this.

Best regards,
Merling

EDIT: I could just fix it with enabling pre-release updates, then updating and finally going back to normal updates.

Edited by Merling

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, Merling said:

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit. It sticks to 15061 and I have recently updated to ESET v10 over ESET v9. I do not dare to completely remove ESET 10 as I have an interactive mode firewall with a lot of custom rules.

When I enable enhanced log, I also find ESET 9 references in etl file.

We urgently need a patch from ESET for this.

Best regards,
Merling

EDIT: I could just fix it with enabling pre-release updates, then updating and finally going back to normal updates.

From what i have read eset recomends using pre release updates at most times if your machine is a non productive machine e.g. if your a home user

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I have same problem. i can Update when i connect to my university VPN. but i can't update with my local internet connection. the strange thing is that i have access to update.eset.com (i successfully ping it). it means that while downloading update, i disconnect from VPN and download doesn't stop. the problem is in first step (only in checking for update). changing update type doesn't solve problem and still checking section have problem.

i install the latest version and i didn't update from v9.

i have attached the update log

thanks!

updater_20170704_095146.rar

• 2 months later...