Windows Anniversary Update and my Surface Pro 4 fail

genguskahnn

Maybe someone better than me can explain this but I had to uninstall eset to get the Microsoft Anniversary update to work on my surface pro 4.  I tried to disable protection but that didn't do the trick.  I just wanted to post this here because I spent hours on this trying to get the update to work.  In the uninstalling and updating then reinstalling was the only solution that I found.

• 3 months later...

Microsoft is making available the Windows 10 Anniversary Update through Windows Update, and you can also use the Media Creation Tool to update your device. However, if the installation fails or you come across any error, this guide is here to help you try and resolve any problem.

Stuck installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update? Here we show you the most common problems and how to fix them.

The Anniversary Update for Windows 10 is finally ready for download. The new version of the operating system is now slowly rolling out to over 350 million devices around the world.

This release means that during the roll out millions of users will be busy trying to install the new update on many devices, including desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, and (eventually) phones. Unfortunately, even though the Anniversary Update promises to be one of the best and most stable releases, building an operating system is a very complex task, as such it's expected that some users may come across errors, bugs, and other issues during and after the installation.

Although there could be some unknown issues during the rollout, remember that the problem is not always the operating system. Some other factors could be causing the problem, including outdated drivers, software conflicts, or certain custom configurations.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update problems and solutions

Microsoft is making available the Windows 10 Anniversary Update through Windows Update, and you can also use the Media Creation Tool to update your device. However, if the installation fails or you come across any error, this guide is here to help you try and resolve any problem.

How to fix failure to complete the Anniversary Update installation Error

• Error: We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off your computer.
  • Error: Failure configuring Windows Updates. Reverting changes.

Description

These are typical errors that can occur during any Windows Update installation. However, these errors don't have specific solutions unless you can figure out exactly the error code.

Resolution

You'll need to investigate and determine the error code by checking your update history.

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & security.
  3. Click on Windows Update.
  4. Click the Advanced options link.
  5. Click the View your update history link.
  6. Click the link for the update that failed to install and look for any error or information that could help you understand the problem.

Edited by TomasP
removed promo link