Update 9.0.396.0: Win7x64 doesn't recognize Eset antivirus protection

After the product update to 9.0.396.0 today, Windows 7 x64 doesn't recognize the Eset antivirus protection. The Eset firewall is always recognized. Multiple restarts doesn't solve it.

• Administrators

Follow the steps outlined in the KB article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb367/. If that doesn't help:

1, Start Windows in safe mode.

2, Delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

3, Restart Windows to normal mode.

Edited by Marcos
Instructions corrected

Follow the steps outlined in the KB article hxxp://support.eset.com/kb367/. If that doesn't help:

1, Temporarily disable Self-defense.

2, Delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

3, Restart the computer.

4, Enable Self-defense.

Already did both, but still does not work. Im using eset av nod32.

1, Temporarily disable Self-defense.

3, Restart the computer.

4, Enable Self-defense.

Already did both, but still does not work. Im using eset av nod32.

I have the same problem after the 9.0.396 update (on the W10 Anniversary release). Neither solution works for me.

Thank you very much for your fast answer, Marcos. But after I have read exodius' post, I have uninstalled 9.0.396.0 and installed version 9.0.386.0.

Where can version 9.0.396.x be downloaded?

At the moment there is no download for the offline installer of version 9.0.396.x available.

Thank you very much for your fast answer, Marcos. But after I have read exodius' post, I have uninstalled 9.0.396.0 and installed version 9.0.386.0.

I've done the same, but have also disabled application updates (so that I don't get 396 again). Will re-enable once a fix is released.

Emsisoft posted over on Wilders.com that Win 10 AU will only allow one AV solution to run and will auto disable all others for those running two AV's.

No details on which one is allowed to run as of yet.

Can any Eset personnel tell us whether the action center is giving false alarm and we are still protected from virus, or the Eset virus protection has been disabled?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

There was an issue with the latest update to version 9.0.396, we have removed the update from our servers and we are working on a fix.

In the meantime, the product is fully functional (if you open ESET GUI, you will see "You are protected" and you can also verify it by downloading an Eicar test file - it will be detected), the issue is that the product does not report its state (and presence) to the Windows Security Center, thus the notification from Windows.

We apologize for this issue, we work hard to release a fix very soon.

T.

• Administrators

This is probably the known issue when, after changing the signature of binaries in v9.0.396, Windows Security Center denies ekrn attempts for communication. We are working on a solution - re-registration to WSC after a program update which appears to fix the issue. We expect the fix (uPCU) to be available within next week.

To fix this manually, start Windows in safe mode (important) and delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

Hello,

There was an issue with the latest update to version 9.0.396, we have removed the update from our servers and we are working on a fix.

In the meantime, the product is fully functional (if you open ESET GUI, you will see "You are protected" and you can also verify it by downloading an Eicar test file - it will be detected), the issue is that the product does not report its state (and presence) to the Windows Security Center, thus the notification from Windows.

We apologize for this issue, we work hard to release a fix very soon.

T.

Thanks for the reply, and hope the fixes will be releasing soon. 

Seriously, Eset really needs to improve the QA, and also compatible /performance issue with Firerfox and Chrome. Eset 4 still the best and stable version tht I ever used.

This is probably the known issue when, after changing the signature of binaries in v9.0.396, Windows Security Center denies ekrn attempts for communication. We are working on a solution - re-registration to WSC after a program update which appears to fix the issue. We expect the fix (uPCU) to be available within next week.

To fix this manually, start Windows in safe mode (important) and delete the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\ESET Security\CurrentVersion\Info\WscState.

Hi Marcos,

Maybe I has run the command prompt earlier to remove it, because I cant find wscstate under safemode. Anyway after 4th restart, it still doesnt recognised.

Not sure if this will help or not. I'm running Win 7 pro (for dual monitors). I have windows updates permanently killed because of the WIN 10 trickery upgrade .

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/16/windows-10-stop-upgrade/

My ESET stopped running. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it from my disk. It came back. Then it stopped again. It's version 9.0.386.0 . I have a cool program called WinPatrol that whips all Windows BS into submission. I opened WinPatrol and noticed ESET wasn't under the programs in the startup tab. WinPatrol lets me add any .exe program into startup. I put ESET back in and haven't had any problems since.

• Administrators

You can disable Defender manually as two real-time protections running at a time have adverse effect on performance. We'll be releasing a program update soon that will re-register v9 to Windows Security Center which will cause Windows to disable Defender automatically.