Agent install error

Agent upgrade is failing using the Remote Administrator Component Upgrade task on a few clients.

What does this error from the trace.log file mean:

Error: CSystemConnectorModule [Thread 8bc]: UpgradeInfrastructure: Task failed: File already exists 'C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Data\agent_upgrade_memo.json'. Cannot continue with agent upgrade

When I look in that location, the json file is not present.

This is on Win7-x64 clients.

• ESET Staff

Have you tried to run this task multiple-time on one client? My guess is that for some reason, previous attempt was not properly finished. Any chance you have enabled diagnostic/detailed logging in EES/EEA configuration?

In case file is no longer on this path (it should be automatically removed once task is finished), is AGENT upgraded?

• 7 months later...

I'm currently having this same issue on one particular machine. The error I'm receiving is as follows: 

File already exists 'C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Data\upgrade.json'. Cannot continue with agent upgrade

This is a remote machine of a higher executive, so I'd like to get this taken care of the right way. What options do I have? Thanks in advance.

• ESET Staff
3 hours ago, whitelistCMD said:

I'm currently having this same issue on one particular machine. The error I'm receiving is as follows: 

File already exists 'C:\ProgramData\ESET\RemoteAdministrator\Agent\EraAgentApplicationData\Data\upgrade.json'. Cannot continue with agent upgrade

This is a remote machine of a higher executive, so I'd like to get this taken care of the right way. What options do I have? Thanks in advance.

What is state of previous upgrade infrastructure task execution? Is it possible to check creation/modification date whether it corresponds with previous upgrade attempts? If I recall correctly, upgrade.json file should be processed and removed upon AGENT restart ... is it possible that is has not been restarted since file was created?

Regarding solution, not sure what is original AGENT version, but fastest would be to remove this file and re-run upgrade infrastructure task. Unfortunately this fill will be protected by installed EES/EEAV, therefore you will have to either disable HIPS (requires restart) or try to use "Run command" client task to remove this file. If it won't help, try to upgrade AGENT manually -> it does not require any parameters.

12 hours ago, MartinK said:

What is state of previous upgrade infrastructure task execution? Is it possible to check creation/modification date whether it corresponds with previous upgrade attempts? If I recall correctly, upgrade.json file should be processed and removed upon AGENT restart ... is it possible that is has not been restarted since file was created?

Regarding solution, not sure what is original AGENT version, but fastest would be to remove this file and re-run upgrade infrastructure task. Unfortunately this fill will be protected by installed EES/EEAV, therefore you will have to either disable HIPS (requires restart) or try to use "Run command" client task to remove this file. If it won't help, try to upgrade AGENT manually -> it does not require any parameters.

@MartinK - Is it possible to make change internal logging sistem in EES/EEA regarding HIPS in future? In this situation it will make action but since global logging is disabled it will not log action like Events or Detected threats do "on fly". I have noticed this on my clients that have been using CAD system that uses file system heavily on file save and sometimes it gives them errors, after turning off HIPS or adding app to HIPS exception list it no longer gives error messages.

Edited by bbahes

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post my results in following your advice, I'm just finally getting a few minutes to do so now. It ended up being that the computer just needed a restart. As soon as I restarted the computer (I restarted to disable HIPS so that I could get into the directory where the file was), it came back up and I looked in the directory and there was no file there of the name stated above. So, the restart removed the file and I did not have to do it manually. As soon as I ran the upgrade task after that restart, it went right through and completed successfully. Thanks for all the help!!