How to disable upgrade splash screen

• Administrators

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely consider your suggestions, ie. remembering the window size/position and column width. As for the upgrade notification window, we plan to add an option to not display it for users who deliberately do not want to upgrade and want to take the risk by using an older version that doesn't protect against current threats as good as the latest version.

NeNaKuKu thanks for sharing this, I'll probably try something like this before ditching ESET for good.
So sad to see this great company fall from grace after so many years of customer loyalty, multiple licence renewals and recommendations for family and clients.

Might be the time to try Kaspersky

25 minutes ago, Marcos said:

We appreciate your feedback and will definitely consider your suggestions, ie. remembering the window size/position and column width. As for the upgrade notification window, we plan to add an option to not display it for users who deliberately do not want to upgrade and want to take the risk by using an older version that doesn't protect against current threats as good as the latest version.

Marcos, I am not ready to upgrade from Windows 7 or from Nod32 v8.

When I finally do this I might go to Windows 10 with Nod32 v10 directly, but I'll make this fresh install in a separate hard drive and see if I can have all my drivers and software, like several video editing and capture software and hardware working flawlessly in this completely new environment, some of my pci-e hdmi capture cards only work on Windows 7.

That will take time to setup that I don't have right now, and this stupid popup is ruining my video recording sessions, I can't work with this nuisance.

Edited by SamLM
clarification, grammar mistake

• 3 weeks later...

Add my vote to the horrid UI of v9 and v10, it (and because I don't use half of the other features) is why I haven't upgraded.

And on my HTPC (Media Center), having that pop up show up is extremely annoying.

• 1 month later...

Well, I for one feel that ESET's products are too expensive, considering that they haven't even made it into the top 3 most effective AVs in at least 4 years or more.

ESET products used to be ideal for anyone looking for the best AV with the smallest system footprint; Anymore, ESET bogs down a Windows system just as bad as AVG or any of the others. Not too noticeable on today's =>4 core CPU/multi-GB RAM machines, but still an unfortunate fact nonetheless.

On top of that, the interface just blows anymore. I use V5 and refuse to upgrade beyond it, as it's the last version with an interface that's not like a puzzle or maze to use.

I've also managed to modify the upgrade executable code so that it no longer loads upon request. :-) I won't share my methodology here, as ESET obviously doesn't want that given out.

But I do want to put my 2 cents in about the interface that's gotten incrementally more annoying ever since it first replaced the original, non-user friendly interface from v2. Add to that the fact that NOD32 no longer wins any contest for anything at all and you've lost a formerly paying customer.

I'm hopeful about the Feb 23 post here regarding ESET considering an upgrade nag disable option. If that happens, I'll consider renewing my subscription.

Edited by stevekasian
Updated to account for new information in thread.

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, stevekasian said:

Well, I for one feel that ESET's products are too expensive, considering that they haven't even made it into the top 3 most effective AVs in at least 4 years or more.

There are minimal differences in detection among top AVs and ESET usually scores about 99%. Tests are tests, there's nothing like 100% malware detection in the real world.

ESET products used to be ideal for anyone looking for the best AV with the smallest system footprint; Anymore, ESET bogs down a Windows system just as bad as AVG or any of the others. Not too noticeable on today's =>4 core CPU/multi-GB RAM machines, but still an unfortunate fact nonetheless.

V9 was lighter on resources than previous version and v10 is even lighter with the memory consumption cut to about 10-20% compared to older versions. If you feel the opposite, ie. that v10 has a noticeable impact on performance, we're interested in looking into it and I'm pretty sure that a solution would be found. First of all, we'd need to know what protection module needs to be disabled for the issue to go away as well as what particular operation you are doing when you notice a performance issue.

On top of that, the interface just blows anymore. I use V5 and refuse to upgrade beyond it, as it's the last version with an interface that's not like a puzzle or maze to use.

V5 doesn't contain new features that proactively protect against new-borne malware, ransowmare or script malware. As of v9, we started to leverage a new HTML-based interface provided by a 3rd party company that is also utilized by several other vendors, including AV vendors.

It brought new possibilities that were not feasible with the former Windows interface used by older versions. Of course, the new graphical engine is not 100% ideal, especially when it comes to resizing the main gui but we provide an option to open a particular panel in a new window that can be stretched to full screen.

• ESET Staff

Hi @stevekasian

I agree with all @Marcos pointed and you are now in position to move forward in the better way.

Why I say this?
Because I believe if you going to say something about you have to give the right to the other counterpart defend their point. In many years I saw users like you, blaming on something but not given the opportunity to others to investigate, fix or help them. Their prefer his side and nothing else. I hope you don't be that type of user. :)

If your computer has a big memory consumption, then you have a problem and is not going out by just removing subject A to use subject B. You just having different symptoms or behavior, but still your "car is making noise". Again let them help you to find where the problem is...

From my point of view, I don't think sacrifice the security of the computer just by "not good interface" is worthy. The data on my computer is more valuable than that and is good to use latest versions always. But is my point of view and from your side is your call.

Be open...;)

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, stevekasian said:

I've also managed to modify the upgrade executable code so that it no longer loads upon request. :-) I won't share my methodology here, as ESET obviously doesn't want that given out.

But I do want to put my 2 cents in about the interface that's gotten incrementally more annoying ever since it first replaced the original, non-user friendly interface from v2. Add to that the fact that NOD32 no longer wins any contest for anything at all and you've lost a formerly paying customer.

I'm hopeful about the Feb 23 post here regarding ESET considering an upgrade nag disable option. If that happens, I'll consider renewing my subscription.

I think people forget how far sadly cybercriminals have came. As newer threats come eset has to adapt or be left behind. Eset's older versions may seem to use less resources yet they didn't have to deal with as much either. Also I thought Version 9 was when the main big UI came. As far as I remember up until then the changes in the UI where small and basically each new version tended to look the same. I can understand why people prefered that look especially if you are used to it but a lot of newer users look for sleeker more modern designs.

• 1 month later...

I don't have to worry about those things too much, as I am always aware of what I'm doing on the net. I also consistently modify/update both my hosts file and the NOD32 Blocked Website rules to the point where only the newest malware domains end up being accessible. And I am able to avoid what's not blocked because I'm smart that way. ;-)

The bottom line is, the interface blows and is far too complex (one example being the domain filtering section - there are like 5 windows to open and close in order to add a site to the list, and it is difficult to navigate because everything is in such a small font size and arranged in a non-intuitive fashion).

In addition to that, the AV rankings - whether bogus or not - affect how people feel about the product. And when I am attempting to turn an IT customer on to an ESET product only to get an argument from them in response that ESET is nowhere to be found in the top 10 AV rankings, or is at most near the bottom of the list, it makes my job more difficult. Time is money, and I don't want to have to explain the realities of AV ranking websites to every single customer. ESET should just pay the damn advertising fees and get themselves ranked higher - end of story.

As for the non-user friendly Advanced Settings section of the interface, it should be designed so that an IT person can guide a lay person through it over the phone verbally, in such a way that the lay person can effectively change anything that needs to be changed within that interface in a timely manner. As it is right now, it is nearly impossible to do that in any time frame at all, much less a short one. The latest interface is my biggest pet peeve.

Edited by stevekasian

• 3 months later...

I added the following request to another thread, but just found this one, which seems more approrpriate:

Has this issue of allowing a user to permanently get rid of the "Update" dialog when using a version of NOD32 that is not the current latest?  I'm on version 8 and want to stay there until it reaches end of life (on XP and W7).  I need a way to not have to see this dialog, even once in awhile, as I can only think of it as nagware. I have been using NOD32 for nearly ten years now, and appreciate it when the end user has the option to choose when to upgrade and not have to be prodded to do so.  Worse still is that upgrade.exe is downloaded (and run) when supposedly all I'm asking for is the a/v definitions update.

I'm aware of all the arguments for upgrading due to the increasing level of threats, but to me the upgrade dialog is dictatorial and should at least allow the user the option to not show it again.  If there is no option in the UI, then is there one that can be either applied to the registry or to the XML file that's used to save the settings?