How to disable upgrade splash screen

Hi @Morisato,

This is the answer to your question...

Is my ESET product supported? ESET End of Life policy (Home products)

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678/?segment=home

Thanks. Guess I will wait to see what v11 brings since I already beta tested v10 and was more or less v9 with few more additions.

• Administrators
Another good thing about v8 is that I can disable most of the unimportant things without it flagging a red icon telling me that I am not fully protected.

V9 doesn't warn you if unimportant settings are disabled. Disabling web protection has similar effect to disabling real-time protection as it provides a crucial protection layer that can stop malware which would not be stopped at other protection layers.

Another good thing about v8 is that I can disable most of the unimportant things without it flagging a red icon telling me that I am not fully protected.

V9 doesn't warn you if unimportant settings are disabled. Disabling web protection has similar effect to disabling real-time protection as it provides a crucial protection layer that can stop malware which would not be stopped at other protection layers.

Marcos , when can we disable the display nag forever in v8 ?

thanks

I downloaded your beta version 10 in a virtual machine with windows 8.1 x86. I had to install over 100 updates to 8.1. Had no problem with the updates with your beta version. I'm going to continue to play with it some more, but so far it seems to work just fine compared to version 9.

After I installed it, it performed a scan of a fresh install of 8.1 Seemed to take a while considering it was a fresh install but on a virtual machine. That may explain the time. I should have made a note on some of the executables that it would not hang on, but take a longer time to complete the scan.

The GUI is pretty much the same as 8 with some minor tweaks. My license is up in March I think, so if 10 continues to work fine, I just may stay with ESET using version 10.

Why even use 8 if eset themselves are telling you it cant handle the modern day threats? You may as well not use anything if you are just stubbern on not updating to a new version to enhance your security.

• Administrators

Why even use 8 if eset themselves are telling you it cant handle the modern day threats? You may as well not use anything if you are just stubbern on not updating to a new version to enhance your security.

V8 is basically same as v9 in terms of protection. However, v10 will also include Ransomware protection which will provide an additional protection layer against malware that encrypts files and extorts money from users.

V8 is basically same as v9 in terms of protection. However, v10 will also include Ransomware protection which will provide an additional protection layer against malware that encrypts files and extorts money from users.

Marcos , have you some news about removing/disable the nag update?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I recently renewed my subscription and I get the nag screen every day. It appears that I am still on version 6. So, I paid and updated my subscription and you didn't upgrade me? Are you serious? 

• Administrators

I recently renewed my subscription and I get the nag screen every day. It appears that I am still on version 6. So, I paid and updated my subscription and you didn't upgrade me? Are you serious? 

If you choose to upgrade to v9 from the upgrade offer pop-up window, it will be upgraded. However, you can install v10 by downloading it from www.eset.com.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Please refrain from advising users how to prevent us from providing them with maximum protection. For instance, only version 10 can provide maximum protection against ransomware and therefore upgrade to it is strongly recommended.

Marcos, what the hell?

Why can't we remove this annoying nag?

I'm paying money for this, I should be able to use this if I want to!!!

This is super unprofessional. I'm seriously considering cancelling my subscriptions!

• Administrators

We at ESET value our users and strive for providing you with as effective protection against emerging threats as possible. This requires implementing new protection mechanisms and techniques in newer versions. In the version 10 of our products new features like Ransomware protection module, AMSI scanner, script-based attack protection, network protection and many other improvements under the hood were added to protect you better from newly emerging threats and especially from Filecoder ransomware.

In order for users to get maximum protection, they should keep the most current version installed. In the case of version 8, it protects better than v5 did but less effectively than v9 and even worse than v10 does. That's also the reason for keeping users' ESET products up to date; if there was no update offered users would live with a false sense of security and would get infected easier, subsequently asking us why we didn't protect them better. That has been happening and most infection cases have been reported from users with older versions who don't take advantage of advanced protection techniques implemented in new versions.

The End of life cycle of ESET home products is available at http://support.eset.sk/kb3678/. Products that reach the end of life phase will ultimately stop receiving updates after some time.

Last but not least I would like to assure everybody that ESET is listening to you and if there is anything in terms of functionality or issues with newer versions that prevents you from upgrading to the latest version, we will be glad to look into it and do our best to get the things improved or fixed. We strongly encourage you to let us know about your concerns and we will do our best to make new versions tailored for you, if possible.

On 2/10/2017 at 11:48 AM, johhnyboy said:

Why can't we remove this annoying nag?

Because ESET wants to sell annual upgrades, every year. ESET is getting more bloated, with useless cr@p, with each release. ESET is marketing to the less savvy. Half of this isn't needed if you are behind a good gateway and know what you should and shouldn't be doing.

It's really sad when company's think it's perfectly fine to spam their paying customers with ads that they cannot opt out of. If the main reason for the nag is safety, then why are you still supporting v8.x until 12/18?

The annoying nags shouldn't start until the installed version is close to EOF. Not 2+ years before EOF. That's spam being generated by the same company that you are doing business with and they are telling you that they don't care. We (ESET) are going to continue annoying you whether you like it or not because we already have your money and we don't care what you want because we know better than you. Now click on the upgrade button to stop the annoying nag screen and send more money.

Edited by jeffshead

• Most Valued Members

Eset has Internet Security for those that do not need the latest additions for whatever reason. Mine is that I already have those items covered with other licensed software.

I prefer EIS over my two system licensed ESS which I renewed for two years last July. I could have used ESS if I wanted to on both machines but both are desk tops so anti theft was not really needed.  My other system ran Eset v8 until the final EIS v10 was released. It's my wife's computer and she does not have any patience for learning the inner workings of the computer. The simpler the better as far as she is concerned. (Thank you Eset for Automatic Mode.) By the way she was not happy about the reminder either. As for me I like to tinker with the computer and have a curiosity about what's making it work, I use interactive mode . 

The point being I used v8 till it was my choice to update and to which version. It didn't cost me anything when I made the decision to do so. In fact from what I understand Eset has offered a rather favorable path to upgrade to ESSP. I also had the choice to use any mode I wanted learning, automatic, interactive or policy.

As to clicking the button and send more money. I doubt seriously that it would cost you anything to update your licensed v8.x to a comparable v10.x.

I like having choices and I believe Eset 's offerings provide those choices very well.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, jeffshead said:

Because ESET wants to sell annual upgrades, every year. ESET is getting more bloated, with useless cr@p, with each release. ESET is marketing to the less savvy.

Upgrades to newer versions are free so your assumption is not correct. ESET does not earn any extra money by releasing newer versions. Also the very basic product ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not have any new extra features added, ie. it does not contain Anti-Theft, Webcam protection, Password manager, etc. so the other argument about getting more bloated is not correct either. And protection features like Ransomware protection, Advanced Memory Scanner, Exploit Blocker, Script scanner, etc. are in no way redundant as they significantly improve protection and are of real benefit for every user.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:11 PM, Marcos said:

We at ESET value our users and strive for providing you with as effective protection against emerging threats as possible. This requires implementing new protection mechanisms and techniques in newer versions. In the version 10 of our products new features like Ransomware protection module,

Hi Marcos

but let's tell you that eset could do better , because about Ransomware protection , eset is the worst in several tests

the the hips should be different ,should include a white list ,because in interactive mode is not usable

thanks

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, mantra said:

because about Ransomware protection , eset is the worst in several tests

Please show me ransomware that encrypted files despite having v10 with ransomware protection enabled, ideally with HIPS 1260+ installed. I'm not saying that with v10 you will receive 100% malware protection or that you'll be 100% protected from encryption. However, if you used the same malware sample to test other products at the same time, most of them would likely fail to protect you from encryption even if ESET protected the system and prevented the encryption.

If you want to discuss this, please create a new topic as this one is about the splash screen and not about ransomware protection.

8 hours ago, Marcos said:

Upgrades to newer versions are free so your assumption is not correct. ESET does not earn any extra money by releasing newer versions. Also the very basic product ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not have any new extra features added, ie. it does not contain Anti-Theft, Webcam protection, Password manager, etc. so the other argument about getting more bloated is not correct either. And protection features like Ransomware protection, Advanced Memory Scanner, Exploit Blocker, Script scanner, etc. are in no way redundant as they significantly improve protection and are of real benefit for every user.

I must concede to some of your points and apologize for getting off topic. I still hold firm on the fact that there should be an option to opt-out of the nag screen or at least being able to turn it off until two weeks before EOF of the version that is currently installed.

• ESET Staff
On 11/2/2017 at 5:15 PM, jeffshead said:

ESET is marketing to the less savvy. Half of this isn't needed if you are behind a good gateway and know what you should and shouldn't be doing.

Is off topic, but I want to point it.

The people you mention is perhaps (guessing numbers here) like the 20% of the global population nowadays.
ESET do an excellent job protecting and offering products for all different types. The normal user who do his life, don't even want to know or configure something to stay behind it. They need something who protects when he does his daily life and job.

That's one of the reasons you see less pop-up's from the ESET products, is the way they do it.

Edited by Gonzalo Alvarez
Remodulation of the text

Hello, 

I'm running Nod32 Antivirus 8.0.319.0 and I'm receiving the weekly naggin popup to upgrade to v9 every week still.

I tried v9 and didn't like it at all, the interface is simply terrible, it looks like a phone app. I could not import my settings from v8 like blocked urls and such.

Now I just want to end this annoying popup that has the audacity to alt tab me out of FULL-SCREEN, this is ridiculous.

Of course all the correct options to never install component upgrades and such are already set, but this bypasses all.

Please tell me you have a way. Alt tabbing me out of full-screen is absolutely unacceptable.

• Administrators
23 hours ago, SamLM said:

I tried v9 and didn't like it at all, the interface is simply terrible, it looks like a phone app. I could not import my settings from v8 like blocked urls and such.

Now I just want to end this annoying popup that has the audacity to alt tab me out of FULL-SCREEN, this is ridiculous.

Of course all the correct options to never install component upgrades and such are already set, but this bypasses all.

Please tell me you have a way. Alt tabbing me out of full-screen is absolutely unacceptable.

The user interface (gui) is something that a vendor cannot make it to everyone's liking. There are users who didn't like the old interface but like the new one, those who liked the former one but don't like the current one and those who don't like either. Unlike other applications, an antivirus program is meant to be set-and-forget and its gui is something a common user should not see often.

Program updates cannot be controlled via the setup. Our goal is to provide users with fully fledged security products that provide maximum protection against current threats. The older program version a user has installed, the worse protection is provided. V8 pales in comparison with v10 which provides excellent protection against ransomware as well as other (not only) zero-day threats.

Hi! :)

I would like to say the same, v9 & v10 looks terribly, I dont like win10 or phone disgusting graphic too! :wacko:

And will stick with v8 as long as possible... :unsure:

What is really terrible, main window cannot be resizable, cant to be maximalized! If You are seriously looking to Network Connection, with IP adresses translated, the columns are too thin! Need main window to be resizable! :wacko:

Some windows dont remember that I want them maximalized, and dont remember the width of columns! (Especially window of firewal rules, protocols...). And IF accidentally remembers this, after PC restart always forget... :angry:

Only one thing, what is better, is SysTray icon righ-click shortcuts. Instead of useless Activation of program, there is Update, much better... But, I would like put there also Network Connection link! As v4 has! :rolleyes:

But now, if anyone looking for the solution of Upgrade screen, please take look here! :

Because my solution is  "Inappropriate Content" here, if someone wants to try it, please send me PM (private message) !

BR!  :D

Edited by NeNaKuKu
The link to inappropriate content removed + how to throw PM...