How to disable upgrade splash screen

Recently I have received a splash screen telling me to upgrade to the latest version due to "insert marketing stuff here".  I clicked the not now link for now but my issue is I have the program set to not check for program updates as for various reasons I do not wish to upgrade to v9. 

So how can I prevent this update splash screen from occurring, will it display on a regular basis? Or will "not now" stop it from occurring again? As I find it annoying that you provide an option to stop checking for program updates yet still throw up splash screens trying to get me to update my program.  

• Administrators

There are several types of program updates. The prompt window that you are getting cannot be controlled via settings. You can only postpone the upgrade by one week until the notification pops up again. It is important to keep security software up to date in order to receive maximum protection. We would appreciate if you could elaborate more on why you don't want to upgrade to v9.

There are several types of program updates. The prompt window that you are getting cannot be controlled via settings. You can only postpone the upgrade by one week until the notification pops up again. It is important to keep security software up to date in order to receive maximum protection. We would appreciate if you could elaborate more on why you don't want to upgrade to v9.

That is fine I shall just uninstall and just go somewhere else and just let my remaining subscription time run out. I do not upgrade to v9 because the general performance of my machine is far better when using v8 wither it be browsing the web or going into a folder with lots of files and having it not freeze before allowing me to do anything.

Plus the interface is alot cleaner in v8 rather than the metroesque style of v9 which all swayed me to staying on v8 where I have never had one issue. For me v8 with up to date definitions provide enough security but if you are now saying im going to get pestered on a weekly basis to update to a version that I dislike I shall move onto a different company with an antivirus product that better suits my needs as of right now ESET v9 does not interest me in the slightest.

Edited by Axere

Looks like I'll be moving to something else also. I've been a 6 user license for 6+ years. I don't want to be nagged to upgrade like windows 10. I currently have version 8 and it works great. Version 9 sucks. I tried it for a day, and had to go back to 8 due to the issues of logging into sites such as my bank. I never received resolution to my issues so I stayed with 8.

• Administrators

Looks like I'll be moving to something else also. I've been a 6 user license for 6+ years. I don't want to be nagged to upgrade like windows 10. I currently have version 8 and it works great. Version 9 sucks. I tried it for a day, and had to go back to 8 due to the issues of logging into sites such as my bank. I never received resolution to my issues so I stayed with 8.

If you are having issues with v9, please let us know. We do our best to address any issues that our users report. As for Banking and payment protection, this is a new thing in v9 so you couldn't have issues with it while using v8. It's possible to temporarily disable Banking and payment protection while the issue is being investigated and possibly addressed via a module or program update.

Also v9 has SSL scanning enabled by default for even better protection which was disabled in v8 and older versions by default. Again, one can create an exception or temporarily disable SSL scanning if nothing helps while the issue is being investigated at ESET.

The most important thing is to let us know about issues that you encounter and we encourage you to do so :) 

As for the upgrade offer you're getting with v8, we will consider changes in this regard so that v8 users can continue using it without being nagged for the next year until another version of ESET's products becomes available.

If you are having issues with v9, please let us know. We do our best to address any issues that our users report. As for Banking and payment protection, this is a new thing in v9 so you couldn't have issues with it while using v8. It's possible to temporarily disable Banking and payment protection while the issue is being investigated and possibly addressed via a module or program update.

Also v9 has SSL scanning enabled by default for even better protection which was disabled in v8 and older versions by default. Again, one can create an exception or temporarily disable SSL scanning if nothing helps while the issue is being investigated at ESET.

The most important thing is to let us know about issues that you encounter and we encourage you to do so :)

As for the upgrade offer you're getting with v8, we will consider changes in this regard so that v8 users can continue using it without being nagged for the next year until another version of ESET's products becomes available.

I guess you did not read my post closely - I tried version 9 for one day by upgrading from 8. After several attempts to fix issues, I decided to simply go back to 8 which works just fine.

I have both versions - V8 on my desktop and V9 on the laptop. According to the NetFlow statistic collected from my router V9 sends a lot more data back to ESET servers. I have all related options disabled but still there is traffic. I don't know what it sends and this bothers me. That is why I don't want to update to V9 on the computer that has a lot of sensitive info.

• Administrators

I have both versions - V8 on my desktop and V9 on the laptop. According to the NetFlow statistic collected from my router V9 sends a lot more data back to ESET servers. I have all related options disabled but still there is traffic. I don't know what it sends and this bothers me. That is why I don't want to update to V9 on the computer that has a lot of sensitive info.

What are the IP addresses that ekrn.exe connects to? It could be license servers as the license needs to be synced on a daily basis, there are Parental Control servers against which each url is checked and then there are LiveGrid servers that ESET communicates with quite frequently, especially if you browse the Internet.

No sensitive data is sent and even license data is encrypted.

I hate the v9 interface. Just because it's meant to be "compatible" with Windows 10 style doesn't mean it has to look like sh*t.

This stupid flat design has to die ASAP.

hi

but eset smart security is not a freeware!!! like avira

i don't want the nag screen , in short eset does not want to provide a solution to block the nag to upgrade? just like microsoft that did and do pust clients to upgrade to w10

i hope eset could release an update to fix it , on my laptop w7 v8 is perfect ,on my w10 v9 is more slow then v8 but i use the 9

but i want to stop the nag on my laptop

thanks

• Administrators

You mentioned Avira but I guess that free AVs display ads and not an offer to upgrade because of improvements in the program. It's possible that we will let users keep the last but one version of the program but older versions will need to be upgraded. Security software is constantly being developed and older versions don't keep pace with the evolution of malware which is also a reason why it's mainly users with old versions who get infected by malware.

As for performance, v9 contains improvements under the hood which speed up scanning of files. If you experience a performance impact after upgrade to v9, I'd recommend troubleshooting it further with our assistance.

You mentioned Avira but I guess that free AVs display ads and not an offer to upgrade because of improvements in the program. It's possible that we will let users keep the last but one version of the program but older versions will need to be upgraded. Security software is constantly being developed and older versions don't keep pace with the evolution of malware which is also a reason why it's mainly users with old versions who get infected by malware.

As for performance, v9 contains improvements under the hood which speed up scanning of files. If you experience a performance impact after upgrade to v9, I'd recommend troubleshooting it further with our assistance.

hi

yes i know

may i use the hips to block it?

block this C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\upgrade.exe

thanks

hi

yes i know

may i use the hips to block it?

block this C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\upgrade.exe

thanks

I would be surprised if that it would block it. I run V7 on a very old and slow by today's standards PC witch is still running XP , yes i could upgrade to win7  but would need more ram ideally , but win7 isn't the best for old direct x 9 games, so would need a sound card to reproduce EAX 2.0  sounds in games as ms in their wisdom failed to include support for it,  but seeing as i have already built a( top end 2015) machine  which is running win 7 on it , i don't see any real point in spending money on ddr2 ram modules and a pci sound card , just so i can run the latest version of eset ss on it, i have tried v9 and had problems that were not sorted out by support

Edited by tommy456

hi

the hips doesn't block it

but does the eset support exist ?

what should i do to block this nast upgrade nag  ?

should i use gpedit.msc ??

on my w7 laptop , v9 slow down my machine , i tried it , i don't want to try a v10 beta , i want a stable version , i want v8

it's ask too much,isn't it?

thanks

• Administrators

We are going to change the interval in which the upgrade offer will be displayed for v8 users from one week to one month and will also add an option to skip update for fully supported versions which is now v8 and v9. I will post instructions how to stop displaying this upgrade offer pop-up for v8 soon.

We are going to change the interval in which the upgrade offer will be displayed for v8 users from one week to one month and will also add an option to skip update for fully supported versions which is now v8 and v9. I will post instructions how to stop displaying this upgrade offer pop-up for v8 soon.

thanks a lot!

Hi Marcos

any news?

thanks

Mod, are you going post those instructions on how to stop displaying the upgrade offer pop-up?

I too installed v9 and reverted back to v8 because I encountered issues plus it's NOT as fast or as light on resources as v8. Now I keep getting that crappy upgrade splash screen with v8.

I have been a happy customer since v5 but that annoying upgrade pop-up and the way v9 performs makes me think it's time to get serious about finding a replacement for Eset  :(

Eset seems to be going the same way a lot of other major software companies are going -- They know what's best for us so they remove options  and their software constantly "phones home".

Look... Just like Adobe, you can't turn off upgrade checks even though there is a setting for that:

post-1634-0-36913200-1471480738_thumb.png

ESET Advanced setup->Update->Settings->Advanced update setup

Edited by jeffshead

The same situtation. Full product (no evaluation) and nag screen. I have 8 and I WILL NO upgrade. EVER.

Sooner I will change antyvirus, if You dont change attitude. It is very simple. More - I was thinking about intergrate ESET in our company (I am admin), but right now You developers can only dream about it. So f..k off ESET.

I'll tell everyone what I've tried... So far, so good but need more time to test.

I'm on Win7x64.

Boot into safe mode and go to the following folder:

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86

Rename the following file from:

upgrade.exe

To:

upgrade.exe.BAK

I haven't encountered any issues what so ever but I don't know if the upgrade check has taken place since renaming the file.

UPDATE (9-18-16): Just removing or renaming upgrade.exe does not work. The file was automatically recreated, today. I renamed the file again and created an empty, dummy upgrade.exe. I'm guessing it will take a month (next check) to see if the dummy file method works.

Anyone else want to try this and share your results?

Edited by jeffshead

• Administrators

Antivirus and antispyware module 1498 has been released for v8 users which increases the interval for displaying the upgrade offer window to 1 month. Currently we're working on adding an option to skip v8 -> v9 upgrade permanently as long as v8 is fully supported (hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678/).

Antivirus and antispyware module 1498 has been released for v8 users which increases the interval for displaying the upgrade offer window to 1 month. Currently we're working on adding an option to skip v8 -> v9 upgrade permanently a(hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3678/).

Hi

Marcos thanks!

about

as long as v8 is fully supported

hope eset will provide the option to skip v8->v9 very soon

Holy ###### you guys actually got Marcos to change the v8 update nag. I was wondering why I wasn't getting any nags. Sadly I am in the same boat as everyone in here about v8 being the last true ESET product and wouldn't upgrade further. If you can somehow make the firewall rules setting similar like v8 but I guess more updated in a sense to v9 while keeping the v8 clean format I'd totally jump to v9-10 in a heart beat. Another good thing about v8 is that I can disable most of the unimportant things without it flagging a red icon telling me that I am not fully protected (excluding browser scans for I only disabled that because it slows surfing a tiny bit).

post-2314-0-00739100-1472260535_thumb.jpg

as long as v8 is fully supported

hope eset will provide the option to skip v8->v9 very soon

More like skip any future versions, period. Saying v8-v9 won't stop it from asking for v10 which more or less looks like v9. So the sad part will be for how long v8 will be supported until. Does end of support mean no more virus database updates or module updates or?

Edited by Morisato