How to replace ERA6.3 server with new server

Scenario.

Small customer 15-20 clients with ageing SBS2008 server with ERA6.3.136 installed.

Replacing server with new server running Server 2012 R2 Essentials. Being built offsite.

New server will not be on the network at the same time as the old server due to some common parameters (inc IP address).

Will not be 'migrating' the servers (ie active directory), new server will be a clean build. Will migrate clients using Profwiz.

First question. Should I install 6.3.136 first on the new server, then once all clients moved across, upgrade to ERA 6.4?

What is the best/easiest method to migrate the clients to the new server?

I figure one option is to simply uninstall the agent on each client and reinstall the new agent once they are joined to the new AD.

Though I do have 8 notebooks that are rarely in the office and they connect back to the ERA server over the Internet.

Is there a write up anywhere on how to migrate the database from one server to another?

Can I install ERA6 with the existing licence while it is installed on the existing server?

Thanks Martin, no I didn't think to check the manual (embarrassed). I did do a google and quick search of the forum though :)

Anyway will have a read tonight ;)

What are your thoughts on whether I should install the same version ERA 6.3.136 on the new server for starters, or just go straight to 6.4?

• ESET Staff

What are your thoughts on whether I should install the same version ERA 6.3.136 on the new server for starters, or just go straight to 6.4?

I would split it into two operations - either upgrade before migration, or migrate it as 6.3 and upgrade once you are sure it works.

Thanks Martin, I'll stick with 6.3.136 for now.

So reading the above section of the install guide, the new server will have the same IP address, but the server name and Domain name will be different. I'm not too worried about migrating over the database, I assume once the clients start connecting to the new server they'll appear in Lost & Found first, I then run static group synchronisation and they'll be moved to their correct static groups based on active directory and will update the new server database with their details (just maybe not past virus/scan history?).

So the option I should choose is 4.3.2 Clean Installation - different IP address correct? (Same IP address option suggests server name etc must also be the same).

But being that I'm using the same IP address, will I need to create the new certificate?

Obviously I won't need to create a new agent policy for the new IP address.

• ESET Staff

Certificate contains list of hostnames/IP addresses that your SERVER can be accessed from AGENTs. In case your AGENTs will be able to reach new SERVER without configuration change (i.e. they will be connecting to exactly the same hostname) you can use the same certificate as now which enables you to use migration type Migrated Database - same IP address even if IP address will be different. There would be problem only in case clients are currently configured to connect to IP1 but new server will use different IP2 which is obviously not signed in SERVER's certificate.

So reading the above section of the install guide, the new server will have the same IP address, but the server name and Domain name will be different. I'm not too worried about migrating over the database, I assume once the clients start connecting to the new server they'll appear in Lost & Found first, I then run static group synchronisation and they'll be moved to their correct static groups based on active directory and will update the new server database with their details (just maybe not past virus/scan history?).

Yes, they will appear in Lost&Found in case they will trust new SERVER's certificate and you will almost immediately see they details. You will loose all history, technically it will behave as you completely reinstalled ERA infrastructure including AGENT's. They will also drop all data received by previous server, for example they will stop running task received by old SERVER. Client will be using old configuration until it will be overridden by configuration policy from new SERVER.

Certificate contains list of hostnames/IP addresses that your SERVER can be accessed from AGENTs. In case your AGENTs will be able to reach new SERVER without configuration change (i.e. they will be connecting to exactly the same hostname) you can use the same certificate as now which enables you to use migration type Migrated Database - same IP address even if IP address will be different. There would be problem only in case clients are currently configured to connect to IP1 but new server will use different IP2 which is obviously not signed in SERVER's certificate. 

OK so the certificate contains both the hostname and IP address of the current server. I tried to see if I could view the details of the certificate on my server last night but couldn't figure out how to do this. So as long as the hostname or the IP address is the same on the new server, the existing certificate will work fine?

Must admit certificates are not my strong point lol.