ESS v7.0.104.0 performance issues

Thought I'd try the beta version as there are a couple of annoying bugs in v6.

So far, the bugs that affected me on v6 haven't occured on the beta...although I've used it for less than a day so there's plenty of time for that to happen :)

What I have noticed is a general slow down in computer performance.  Ekrn.exe seems to be eating regular chunks of cpu.

I installed the beta version fresh and made sure there were no files/folders/registry settings left behind after uninstalling v6.  Could this be a configurational problem or is this the norm for v7?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 with SP1 - Up to date

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600 'Conroe' 2.40Ghz - Overclocked to 3.20GHz

4GB Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX RAM

PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 3850 Pro Xtreme 512MB GDDR3 PCI-E GPU

Will supply more info if needed.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Do you observe the issue when doing something specific or it occurs also when you leave the system in idle state? Does disabling Advanced memory scanner in the HIPS setup make a difference?

Thanks for the reply Marcos.

Nothing specific, just most things.  Sometimes there's a few seconds delay when opening a Windows Explorer window.

I've also noticed webpages occasionally take an absolute age to load or finish loading.  Broadband speed seems fine and stable when I test it.  Usually refreshing the page sorts it out but it's a little annoying.  It's not something that happened before using v7.

I'll try your suggestion to see if that helps with the performance issue.

• Administrators

Please create a SysInspector log and send it to me attached to a personal message. Also please confirm or deny that disabling advanced memory scanner helped or not. You wrote you were going to try it but then you wrote you went back to v6 without answering my question which is very important for us to know :)

Please create a SysInspector log and send it to me attached to a personal message. Also please confirm or deny that disabling advanced memory scanner helped or not. You wrote you were going to try it but then you wrote you went back to v6 without answering my question which is very important for us to know :)

Hi Marcos, I also have a few seconds slow down (sometimes not everytime) when opening CCleaner to name one example, and my plan was that when ever I would be able to get into the setup tree without egui crashing I would disable AMS to see if things improved. But I can't do that yet as you know.  :D

• Administrators

In the case of CCleaner, disabling AMS would most likely do the trick as it's a tool that checks various sensitive locations and thus triggers AMS scans. We'll look into it, at least it shouldn't cause egui to crash.

Do you still want the log as I have gone back to v6?

The Windows and other applications lagging did improve when AMS was disabled but I decided to go back to the previous version as browsing performance continued to be an issue.

• Most Valued Members

I too experience the issues with webpages not loading and have to use the refresh button at times but was unsure as to what the problem was, as i use firefox 24 beta and thought that it may have been related to a issue within the beta of firefox. Internet explorer 10 seems to be unaffected though.

The memory footprint of firefox is crazy nowadays and its nothing that ess is causing, but maybe a browser using 200mb of ram combined with AMS is what's causing the slowdowns and webpage loading times. IE10 by comparison uses 8.5mb.

Long gone are the days when firefox was a lean & fast browser.

Certainly could be a link with FF as I'm using 23.0.1.  Unfortunately, I didn't test to see if the issues occured on IE.

Should be easy enough for ESET to test though.

For the record, I think FF is still pretty fast but being lean isn't near the top of the list any more ;)

Edited by nickster_uk

I can confirm Firefox is a memory hog, however with a system full of RAM its not an issue.

I use Waterfox, its better for 64bit systems. Google it.

CCleaner has never given me an issue with Eset ver7 hips and ams active. I have been using them in tandem for months now.

I have 6GB of memory, yet a processor with 4.2ghz frequency

I use windows 7 home premium 64bit

I never use IE.

Just to add against testing and research as well as comparison for trying to resolve.

• Most Valued Members

CCleaner has never been an issue for me either and i use the 32bit version of firefox as the 64 bit version has always been terrible. Firefox's memory usage scales in line with the amount of ram you have in your system. I have 16gb and that is why i go between 200 - 300mb, dependent n the amount of tabs i have open.

I never had the problem on ESS v6 , even with HIPS/AMS turned off i still have the problems on v7.

Slight conflict between v7 and firefox seems plausible as the cause of the slowdowns.

• Administrators

I never had the problem on ESS v6 , even with HIPS/AMS turned off i still have the problems on v7.

Slight conflict between v7 and firefox seems plausible as the cause of the slowdowns.

Just to make sure, do you have scanning SSL disabled?

In the case of CCleaner, disabling AMS would most likely do the trick as it's a tool that checks various sensitive locations and thus triggers AMS scans. We'll look into it, at least it shouldn't cause egui to crash.

No egui.exe doesn't crash when I run/use CCleaner, I am talking about the issue that I provided the dumps for in the PM conversation we had 2 weeks back, that when I try to access the stup-tree egui crashes and thus, i am not able to configure anything as of yet. e.g like disabling AMS for a test.

So CCleaner or AMS does not make egui crash I just want to make that clear :)

• Administrators

No egui.exe doesn't crash when I run/use CCleaner, I am talking about the issue that I provided the dumps for in the PM conversation we had 2 weeks back, that when I try to access the stup-tree egui crashes and thus, i am not able to configure anything as of yet. e.g like disabling AMS for a test.

I see. Your issue with egui crashing is resolved in the next beta which should be made available within a few days.

I see. Your issue with egui crashing is resolved in the next beta which should be made available within a few days.

Fantastic! I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for letting me know.  :)

I'm hoping we have had work done on the AMS, that make the system lag at times after coming back from an idel system for aroun 15 mins or more. Also, that we have finally fixed the page break/not loading complety with admuncher installed on x64 systems.

Yep, you can install v6 and webpages will load fine with admuncher or an other AV and everything is fine. All ready have done testing on reported on this. But not sure if they have done anything about it. 

Something between the hooks in admuncher and the way v7 is wrapping into the admuncher code on the sites is what is causing the problems. You mite have the same problem on a x86 OS but not tested on it so not sure. Only done testing on win7 pro x64 and win 8/8.1 x64 Pro. and problem shows up with v7 only.

AMS is causing games to stutter. I'm playing a lot of ArmA 2 and if AMS is enabled I'm getting stutters every second or so. If I disable AMS, stuttering is gone.

OS version:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 with all the updates

System Setup:

AMD FX-8350, 8x 4.00GHz,

Transcend aXeRAM DIMM Kit 8GB,

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950,

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5,

Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB,

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

ESET Modules:

Virus signature database: 8787 (20130911)
Update module: 1044 (20130708)
Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1406 (20130822)
Advanced heuristics module: 1142 (20130712)
Archive support module: 1176 (20130821)
Cleaner module: 1075 (20130730)
Anti-Stealth support module: 1053 (20130906)
Personal firewall module: 1138B (20130802)
Antispam module: 1026 (20130715)
ESET SysInspector module: 1236 (20130614)
Real-time file system protection module: 1006 (20110921)
Translation support module: 1110 (20130729)
HIPS support module: 1095B (20130903)
Internet protection module: 1080B (20130903)
Web content filter module: 1028 (20121113)
Advanced antispam module: 1462 (20130910)
Database module: 1039 (20130812)

• ESET Moderators

Hello VidKo,

that is pretty impressive setup.

We will try to replicate it in our testing environment, but it could take as a while until we get similar HW configuration.

I will contact you when I will need additional info.

Do you experience this issue during normal gameplay or during something special?

• Most Valued Members

Check out

hxxp://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_per_201304_en.pdf

Paints a different picture :D

out of 100 score Eset comes in at 99.4 for performance , and just a note that all those scores were tested on v6 ......... not the v7 "BETA"

Edited by cyberhash