How to cleanse obsolete firewall rules?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi folks,

I recently switched from Comodo firewall to ESET Smart Security, and I wonder whether there's a way to purge obsolete firewall rules in ESS as it's possible in Comodo ("Purge" option). I noticed I have many applications still listed in the rules of ESS firewall while I uninstalled them. Sometimes that's some installers for which I wrongly selected something like "Create a rule" instead of "Create a rule valid until end of execution".

I know I can manually delete the obsolete rules, but to be able to automatically ensure the consistency between existing rules and installed applications would really be very useful!

Thanks in advance for your answer.

François

• Administrators
  • Solution

Automatic deletion of rules for which the application no longer exist is not supported.

• Most Valued Members

after all, if the XY application is no longer present in the pc, the rule won't have any effect at all.

Yes, of course, but I suspect after a certain amount of time the computer was installed, those useless rules could pile up and slow down ESET firewall responsiveness.

Am I wrong?

Automatic deletion of rules for which the application no longer exist is not supported.

Just for fun, PC Tools Firewall Plus, which is over 6 years old and not supported anymore , does that!

• Most Valued Members

Yes, of course, but I suspect after a certain amount of time the computer was installed, those useless rules could pile up and slow down ESET firewall responsiveness.

Am I wrong?

i suppose there won't be an issue like that. if it were to slow down the program in any way, i'm sure the development team would have implemented a relevant feature/option.