Suspiciously Short Virus Scan?

Hello, recently my smart scans have been finishing in 1/3 to 1/2 the time that they usually take, and the weird thing is my hard drive is closer to capacity than before.

Does anyone know what may be causing this or if this is normal? Could some one please look at my log to see if everything is in order?

I have attached a smart scan log to this message, please rename the file from .txt to .rar in order for it to work.

LogLogLag2.txt

• ESET Staff

What you are reporting is normal. When running a Smart Scan ESET is using Smart Optimization. What this does is it checks to see if a file has changed since the last time it was scanned with a specifice Virust Signature. Smart Optimization also uses ESET LiveGrid (aka Threat Sense) to avoid scanning files which were already confirmed clean by others using ESET Software. This helps ESET scan and protect a computer swiftly while maintaining security and accuracy.

If you are wanting to scan without Smart Optimization, you can start a Custom Scan and ensure you select the scan profile "In-Depth scan". Then put a checkmark in each item you wish to scan. Should be any "Local Drives", "Operating Memory" and "Boot Sector".

The In-Depth profile does not use Smart Optimization and thus will always take a longer time than a Smart Scan.

Allow me to try and explain in simplified terms hentaixen !

Your first scan will take 4-5 hours. Thoroughly scans every single file.

Second scan looks at your files and determines if it needs to be scanned again. Example:

Scan 1

File1:

Size = 5KB

Modified Date = 1/1/2012

Location = "C:\Programs"

Permissions = Admin[Full Control]

File Type = .TXT

MD5 HASH = 81051bcc2cf1bedf378224b0a93e2877

Scan 2

File1:

Size = 5KB

Modified Date = 1/1/2012

Location = "C:\Programs"

Permissions = Admin[Full Control]

File Type = .TXT

MD5 HASH = 81051bcc2cf1bedf378224b0a93e2877

ESET finds File1 is the exact same everything as the last scan File1 ----- SO SKIP THIS FILE [There has been no change in the file]

On to File2 ......

Keep in mind of what James said about ThreatSense as well. If another computer already scanned and gave these results, it will also SKIP

So every scan after the first will be super fast unless you make serious changes to directories/locations/files , or possible partition changes & disk drive letter changes or similar to alter your system.

** Please note - I was really trying to be helpful in my explanation here. Good intentions always !

Edited by Arakasi

Thanks for the help guys!

So even if a in-depth scan came out to 1 minute 19 seconds that would be ok?

The scan time depends on several things (including but not limited to):

1. Selected parameters in ThreatSense setup for the In-depth profile in this case.
2. Scan targets you selected.
3. Amount and type(s) of files on your drives.
4. You hardware specs.
5. What you do on the system while the scan is in progress. Edited by TGW