Nod32 Endpoint Scanning egui.exe?

Scot1967
Go to solution Solved by Scot1967,

Running ver 5.0.2214.4.  I noticed ekrn.exe was using 99% of the CPU.  I opened egui and check and the last file scanned was egui.exe and it was stuck there.  Why would it be scanning itself ?  Should I exclude this file from being scanned at my workstations?  Are there other files I should exclude at my workstations?

Thanks.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Scot,

ekrn.exe is scanning all files, but there are too many of them scanned to be displayed in the main GUI.

In case you weren't running any scan the CPU usage should decrease very quickly.

How long was the erkn.exe using CPU at nearly 100%?

Generally you shouldn't be excluding any files on the workstations only in case of having issues with some of them.

No scan was running and I watched ekrn.exe processor utilization and the file system stats in the Nod interface for a few minutes before I concluded it was not going to change.  I am not sure how long it was this way before my user called me to investigate but it was at least 5 - 10 minutes before I got there and determined the problem and restarted the PC.  Once I rebooted the workstation it started running normally again.

• ESET Moderators

Hello Scot,

thank you for letting us know.

In case you encounter such issue again please let us know.

SysInspector log from affected machine and memory dump of ekrn.exe from frozen state are good for start of trouble shooting.

• Solution

Hello Scot,

thank you for letting us know.

In case you encounter such issue again please let us know.

SysInspector log from affected machine and memory dump of ekrn.exe from frozen state are good for start of trouble shooting.

Things seem to be OK since the reboot.  I'll gather the Sysinspector log and memory dump if I see this again.

Thanks.