Disable Live Grid and Web Site Notifications

I've recently deployed ESET Endpoint Protection on our office computers, administrative laptops and Android devices. I've googled quite a bit and had a support ticket open on this and haven't been able to find an answer or get tech support to even understand what I'm asking. Is there any way to simply disable the "Communicating with Live Grid" popup and the "ESET Scans every web page" popup? It's simply aggravating. I know Live Grid is enabled and I know it's scanning all the web pages so is it too much to ask that it just leave me the alone unless it finds a problem? Every time I try to text, email, or open a web page and search or log into something I'm interrupted by the popup and have to wait for it to go away or risk tapping it hoping it will close only to have it steal focus from what I'm doing and lose my cursor, keyboard, place on a page or email, or accidentally click a link or something that was hidden by the popup.

The only thing Support suggested was #1 Make sure Live Grid is enabled (yes it's enabled) and then under Settings disabled "Permanent Locations" which is already done.  Any help appreciated because it's driving me insane!

• ESET Moderators

Hello unicav,

The behavior you describe is definitely not in default settings, yours must have been changed (checked whether some policy has set that).

As for the setting, go to Setup > Advanced setup > User interface > Alerts and notifications and set the "Minimum verbosity of events to display" to "Informative" (you have probably set it to Diagnostic).

Regards,

T.

Setup > Advanced setup > User interface > Alerts and notifications

TomasP I do not have that option in ESET Mobile. Under Settings there is the option for Permanent Notification which I have disabled per Support's instructions. Under Advanced I have Import/Export settings, Admin Password and Remote Administrator (disabled). There's nothing abou the User Interface or Notifications.

• ESET Moderators

Sorry, from your post it was not obvious that the issue you described was on a mobile device, the steps I provided were for desktop ESET Endpoint Security for Windows.

(My bad - I have not noticed it was posted in the "mobile products" section, as I did not reach this topic from the forum's main page.)

Anyway, no, it is currently not possible to configure this behavior in ESET Endpoint Security for Android.

I have now submitted this as a suggestion for the product, thank you for voicing your feedback.

My apologies for posting in the wrong forum. After posting the first time it didn't appear in the mobile forum for a couple days and I reposted and must not have paid attention to the forum I was in. Thanks for the replies and for submitting it as a possible new feature!

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello unicav,

I have been approached by our product manager and we'd like to clarify some things.

Can you please post the specific product and version number in which you encounter the behavior (along with Android version), attach the screenshots of the mentioned popup messages and also specify when exactly (under what conditions, after what steps...) they show up?

Do they show up even when you have a different app open?

Thank you,

T.

• ESET Staff

Hello unicav,

I have been approached by our product manager and we'd like to clarify some things.

Can you please post the specific product and version number in which you encounter the behavior (along with Android version), attach the screenshots of the mentioned popup messages and also specify when exactly (under what conditions, after what steps...) they show up?

Do they show up even when you have a different app open?

Thank you,

T.

Hi Unicav

please add also information about how often does these messages pop-up. Separately for "communicating with live grid" and "ESET Scans every web page", so we are able to identify if this is a normal behavior or not.

thanks

v.

ESET Endpoint Security v 2.0.154.0-0

After the last update neither Chrome nor Firefox are supported so I had to disable Phishing until that's fixed again.

The Live Grid popup is very random. It seems to be popping up every time it refreshes the wifi connection. So as I wander between wifi networks and it switches from Cell to Wifi, or the phone goes to sleep then wakes up and refreshes the wifi, It connects to Live Grid and issues the Popup.

It happens at completely random times and on any screen or app. On the home screen, when I open an app like Facebook, Messenger, Mail or Text.

The problem I have with it is that when I have a lot going on in my normal busy day and I am flipping between email, text and other apps to communicate, the popup decides to notify me it's communicating. If I'm in the middle of typing an email or text or message, or even trying to answer a phone call the popup steals focus from my app, my keyboard or number pad goes away. If my phone is in my pocket asleep, I hear an email come in, grab the phone, get into my app and start typing an email - BAM - Popup. I then have to wait for it to time out then negotiate with the app to get my keyboard back up and continue with what I was doing.  It's obtrusive and annoying.

If the program would simply do a notification to the Android system so it is simply a notification at the top of the screen that doesn't interfere with what I'm working in, that would be fine. Just like the Phishing notification. Why make me stop and wait for the notification every single time I open my browser rather than choice of no notification OR a system notification that doesn't interfere with my workflow?

post-12763-0-85646500-1468428147_thumb.png

• ESET Staff

ESET Endpoint Security v 2.0.154.0-0

After the last update neither Chrome nor Firefox are supported so I had to disable Phishing until that's fixed again.

The Live Grid popup is very random. It seems to be popping up every time it refreshes the wifi connection. So as I wander between wifi networks and it switches from Cell to Wifi, or the phone goes to sleep then wakes up and refreshes the wifi, It connects to Live Grid and issues the Popup.

It happens at completely random times and on any screen or app. On the home screen, when I open an app like Facebook, Messenger, Mail or Text.

The problem I have with it is that when I have a lot going on in my normal busy day and I am flipping between email, text and other apps to communicate, the popup decides to notify me it's communicating. If I'm in the middle of typing an email or text or message, or even trying to answer a phone call the popup steals focus from my app, my keyboard or number pad goes away. If my phone is in my pocket asleep, I hear an email come in, grab the phone, get into my app and start typing an email - BAM - Popup. I then have to wait for it to time out then negotiate with the app to get my keyboard back up and continue with what I was doing.  It's obtrusive and annoying.

If the program would simply do a notification to the Android system so it is simply a notification at the top of the screen that doesn't interfere with what I'm working in, that would be fine. Just like the Phishing notification. Why make me stop and wait for the notification every single time I open my browser rather than choice of no notification OR a system notification that doesn't interfere with my workflow?

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-13-11-21-01.png

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. We will look into it with the dev team to find out if this is a normal behavior or a bug. 

Regarding the Anti-Phishing: We have never supported Firefox. Anti-Phishing integrates with the most common web browsers available on Android OS. In general, Anti-Phishing protection is available for stock browsers that come as pre-installed on Android devices. Chrome is

also supported except on Android 6 (due to changes executed by Google) – we are currently working on the fix. Thank you for your patience.

• ESET Staff

As you can see. Firefox on Android not supported.attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-07-14-09-25-34.png

The screenshot represents actual reality. Stock browser is listed as supported, chrome is not supported due to known issue I have mentioned earlier and firefox was never support by EESA so that´s also correct.