Windows update notifications - how exactly does it work?

Go to solution Solved by sparks,

Hi,

Can someone please tell me the mechanism of how ESET SS determines what windows updates are required for the PC its running on?

My question is prompted by the fact that Windows update in my PC (win7) is not working (hangs on trying to find updates) SO if this windows service is involved in the ESET procedure does that mean that ESET wont  / cant find updates either?

thanks and regards,

JEFF

Hi,

I dont usually get an error message when trying to update, it just hangs when trying to find updates (never finds them) AND the CPU usage goes to 25%. I did once get an error 80244019.

I found this was due to win update service, and when I kill the service, it drops back to normal. Have tried everything. I see there is a recent post on this very issue, which I will read after this.

When I ran the micrsoft update fix-it program, it came up with an error as well, but no that one. I cant remember the number but it was something like access denied.

regards,

JEFF

• Solution

Found the solution...Yay!

Firstly updated IE to version 11, no change to problem, but then ..

Downloaded Windows6.1-KB3161664-x64 from ...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794

This fixed it. After short delay there were 15 updates waiting.

Thank goodness its fixed. Have been trying all sorts of patches and suggestions for weeks.

regards,

JEFF