ESET Endpoint Security for Mac OS X - Startup Issue

Same issue here for OSX 10.12 - the product will not run.

The current thread issue is the slow (really slow) boot time. What you mention seems to be an issue where you are using an incompatible version of ESET with the latest Max OSX Sierra 10.12. It requires the latest 6.3.85.0 version of ESET to work. Did you give it a try?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

My apologies for the wrong thread.

Yes, I have tried upgrading via 1) a PUSH from the ERA, and 2) an EraAgentInstaller.sh file run on the 10.12 laptop.

Both failed.

Here is the output, which I have also posted in another thread. How did you manage to upgrade?

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 7: : No such file or directory
EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 9: : No such file or directory
EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 70: : No such file or directory
tee: : No such file or directory
EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 136: : No such file or directory
Downloading installer image 'hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v6/6.4.232.0/Agent-MacOSX-i386.dmg':
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 26.3M  100 26.3M    0     0  4273k      0  0:00:06  0:00:06 --:--:-- 3888k
EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 148: : No such file or directory
Checking integrity of of downloaded package /tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.dmg.L09Xaze9: OK
Mounting image '/tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.dmg.L09Xaze9':
hdiutil: attach: cannot convert "" to URL
Usage:    hdiutil attach [options] <image>
hdiutil attach -help
ls: fts_open: No such file or directory
Installing package '/':
installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/'.
Cleaning up:

Hi,

My apologies for the wrong thread.

Yes, I have tried upgrading via 1) a PUSH from the ERA, and 2) an EraAgentInstaller.sh file run on the 10.12 laptop.

Both failed.

Here is the output, which I have also posted in another thread. How did you manage to upgrade?

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 7: : No such file or directory

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 9: : No such file or directory

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 70: : No such file or directory

tee: : No such file or directory

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 136: : No such file or directory

Downloading installer image 'hxxp://repository.eset.com/v1/com/eset/apps/business/era/agent/v6/6.4.232.0/Agent-MacOSX-i386.dmg':

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100 26.3M  100 26.3M    0     0  4273k      0  0:00:06  0:00:06 --:--:-- 3888k

EraAgentInstaller.sh: line 148: : No such file or directory

Checking integrity of of downloaded package /tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.dmg.L09Xaze9: OK

Mounting image '/tmp/EraAgentOnlineInstaller.dmg.L09Xaze9':

hdiutil: attach: cannot convert "" to URL

Usage:    hdiutil attach [options] <image>

hdiutil attach -help

ls: fts_open: No such file or directory

Installing package '/':

installer: Error the package path specified was invalid: '/'.

Cleaning up:

Have you tried to regenerate your EraAgentInstaller script from the ERA server? Can you post the commands you are using to call the sh file?

Worked for me using 

sudo -s

bash EraAgentinstaller.sh

According to some users, disabling the email protection is resolving the issue. Can someone confirm this theory? Any other update? Have any of you tried the latest version 6.3.85.0?

Not for me. I've tried the latest versions of both agent and client (not 6.3.85.1, yet though). I've also tried disabling everything except 'Real-time file system protection'. This made things slightly better, but still no good.

So far, support has recommended 1) disabling the firewall in OS X and 2) enabling 'increase network volume compatibility' within the real-time file system protection settings.

Neither option made a difference for me, but you might give it a try and see if it helps your situation.

Sadly, this is pretty much all I've gotten from support in the 6 weeks the case has been open.

I would encourage anyone experiencing the issue to open a ticket with support.

I will second this. According to support, they believe only two other customers are having this issue.

The more people that report the issue, hopefully the more traction it will gain and a resolution will come sooner than later.

Thank you.

I will second this. According to support, they believe only two other customers are having this issue.

I find this hard to believe, I have had a ticket open with support since 6.1.12, and the problem has remained with each version of ESET. After about two months I just stopped hearing from them.

Edited by mfichera

Any Fix for that ?

Company Mac's also affected by this issue ...

Please open a ticket with support if you can. They still seem to think only a few people are having issues.

As far as a fix... I submitted another round of log files to support two weeks ago. Still no response.

• 1 month later...

Hello again guys.

Problem is connected with DHCP leases of IP Adresses. Whenever some of our Mac's renew their IP adresses, ESET is unable to start and Mac is in stuck ( nothing you can do) mode.

Main source of the problem is probably ERA Agent. Whenever you upgrade your ERA Agent to higher version , there are still some files left of an old version.

You can check it by removing Agent and ESET and then installing ESET solo. You will see that your ESET will be already activated.

Only way to totaly remove it is to use script provided by ESET  ( Right click Agent ---> Show Package Contents---> Scripts).

I am still testing if it works for 100% of affected Mac's , but some of them are fixed already.

Hope it helps you a bit.

Important : Use the latest version of Era Agent and ESET AV.

Interesting, but not the case for us.  As soon as antivirus is removed and only agent is installed everything works fine. Also, the issue occurs for us at every login, which is far more frequent than our DHCP renewal (lease is default 7-days, so renewal every 3.5). In fact, I have the issue on my desktop, which has a static IP address.

On another note, our support ticket is going on 3 months now with little to no help or response from ESET.  I'm hoping other folks are having better luck than we are.

Hello again guys.

Problem is connected with DHCP leases of IP Adresses. Whenever some of our Mac's renew their IP adresses, ESET is unable to start and Mac is in stuck ( nothing you can do) mode.

Main source of the problem is probably ERA Agent. Whenever you upgrade your ERA Agent to higher version , there are still some files left of an old version.

You can check it by removing Agent and ESET and then installing ESET solo. You will see that your ESET will be already activated.

Only way to totaly remove it is to use script provided by ESET  ( Right click Agent ---> Show Package Contents---> Scripts).

I am still testing if it works for 100% of affected Mac's , but some of them are fixed already.

Hope it helps you a bit.

Important : Use the latest version of Era Agent and ESET AV.

Also not the case, we tested this by installing ONLY the ESET Endpoint AV application and activated using my security admin account.  The issue still persisted and points to the AV application itself.

Well in our case it is 100% connected to DHCP leases because it happens once a week for the same Mac's . In addition it is always happening to Mac's that had an older version of AV and Agent installed before , never for new Netrestored Mac's with newest AV and Agent. For some Mac's we just have to kill esets_daemon process and instantly spinning beachball disapear.  Do you have these problems with fresh OS Mac's or only with "updated" ones ?

Do you have these problems with fresh OS Mac's or only with "updated" ones ?

In our environment, it seems to affect all workstations, whether fresh OS install, or pre-existing.

We started our deployment with version 6.3, so haven't done any AV upgrades until we went to the latest minor version to see if it would remedy the issue. No dice.

How many Workstations are affected by this issue for you ? 

For me, it is all of the ones we tested.  We have not taken it to production yet because we are able to replicate it 100% of the time.  This is with a vanilla OSX image joined to AD, or with our image (which is not heavily customized anyways).  This also happens with the ERA agent and without.  I don't think DHCP leases have anything to do with our issue because we experience the issue on the first domain login long before the DHCP lease expires.

No fix yet? This issue has been occurring for the last few weeks in our company and it's making us bang our heads every morning! Freeze time between 10-20 mins, no desktop icons, Eset splash screen freezes at the middle of the screen and it's transparent. The dock is there but whenever you click on any icons it doesn't open anything. I already pushed a policy from ERA and disabled startup scan and update but to no luck.

We are using google chrome and it is set to open after a user logs in to the mac. I wonder if it has anything to do with Chrome and Eset running at the same time like a parallel execution and it's causing a deadlock which the OS can't resolve?

Affected OS:

El Capitan 

Sierra - most of the time

User Accounts:

Open Directory

Standard

Server:

ERA6

Client:

eset EA 6.3.85.1

Need help here. I will also create a ticket for this. Thanks!

Same here -all workstations experience the issue at each login with AV installed. Once AV is removed (and agent is still installed) the problem goes away.

ESET apparently isn't able to replicate the issue so no solution as yet. At this point they're recommending to downgrade to v.4

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 0:12 PM, j-gray said:

A new RC has been released --6.4.112

We're still experiencing the same issue. Anyone else have a chance to try this build and have any better luck?

Nope, we tested the 6.4.112 RC and the same issue has persisted. 

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a long time now as I've experienced the same issues (startup hanging with ESET being the culprit) on a variety of macOS machines since about August. I did open a ticket with ESET support back then but they just kept asking me to send more logs and we weren't getting anywhere so I gave up with them. 

One thing we have done recently which has seemed to stop the startup problems is to remove ESET from "Login Items" and then write a script that delays ESET to launch 2 minutes after login. I am not the one who wrote the script but I would be happy to share details with you.

It's not a perfect solution, but in the meantime it seems to work well.

Hope that helps!