ESET Endpoint Security for Mac OS X - Startup Issue

Is anyone else experiencing a slow startup issue with ESET Endpoint Security for Mac OS X? I have several Mac users that experience a very long pause (anywhere from 2-10 minutes) after logging in. The desktop loads, regular startup items load and right before ESET loads, the mouse cursor turns to a spinning beachball. Both wifi and wired network connections hang at this point as well. Sometimes I can open Activity Monitor and view the status of running applications. Usually, I always find the 'systemuiserver' process stuck in a not responding state. If I can open System Preferences, the Network settings window is blank and does not display any network adapters.

Uninstalling ESET resolves the issue. We first started experiencing this issue with v6.1.12.0 when our users upgraded to El Capitan. I did reach out to ESET Support and they provided a beta version of ESET that helped for a little bit, but then the issue returned. We recently deployed v6.2.7.0 to a few of our Macs, but they continue to see the same issue with this new version.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,
Please send me a PM with a reference to this topic and attach logs created according to the manual at hxxp://support.eset.com/kb3404/
As your issue occurs right after system startup, instead of steps 4 and 5, just type sudo echo "replication - system was unresponsive for the last XX minutes" (with XX replaced by the actual time) into Terminal right after the issue stops occuring.
In steps 1 and 2, you are asked to download and prepare our tool. Again, as your issue occurs right after system startup, please perform the abovementioned first, and only download the tool after that. You just need to have it ready for step 6, where you run it and it collects necessary information from the system.
In step 8, instead of emailing the output, or opening a case with our customer care, just send the output (with a short description of the issue) to me in a personal message here on the forum.
Thanks,
T.

EES startup lag has been a constant thorn in my side for managing Capitan clients.  The issue stems from scheduled system file scans that take place on every login and virus database update.  What's more confounding is these scans can only be disabled via policy, I have not found a way to disable them client side. They can be disabled via OSX policy under Tools>Scheduler>Tasks>Edit and disabling Automatic startup file check for all launch times. 

However, even after this policy has been changed, our users have still been reporting system startup issues, with delays tipping the 5 minute mark.

Is there any development on the resolution of this issue? If not, I've been told to research other AV solutions.

Is anyone else experiencing a slow startup issue with ESET Endpoint Security for Mac OS X? I have several Mac users that experience a very long pause (anywhere from 2-10 minutes) after logging in. The desktop loads, regular startup items load and right before ESET loads, the mouse cursor turns to a spinning beachball. Both wifi and wired network connections hang at this point as well. Sometimes I can open Activity Monitor and view the status of running applications. Usually, I always find the 'systemuiserver' process stuck in a not responding state. If I can open System Preferences, the Network settings window is blank and does not display any network adapters.

Uninstalling ESET resolves the issue. We first started experiencing this issue with v6.1.12.0 when our users upgraded to El Capitan. I did reach out to ESET Support and they provided a beta version of ESET that helped for a little bit, but then the issue returned. We recently deployed v6.2.7.0 to a few of our Macs, but they continue to see the same issue with this new version.

I seem to be having this issue too, although it is not as wide spread as it was when the Macs had 6.1.16 installed.

Edit

The web protection issue where some websites were unusable has been fixed with this version of ESET.

Our policy has our Macs on Pre-release updates and "Automatic Update after login" and "Automatic Startup file check" have been disabled.

Edited by mfichera
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same situation here.

After deploying 6.2.7.2, no more Websites issues, but now many users complaining of slow startup and hangs. Can I disable startup scan through policies temporarily? Couldn't find how to do so in the ERA console. Please assist.

I'm having the same situation here.

After deploying 6.2.7.2, no more Websites issues, but now many users complaining of slow startup and hangs. Can I disable startup scan through policies temporarily? Couldn't find how to do so in the ERA console. Please assist.

I have an open ticket with support and have been providing logs to them.  Currently waiting on further information.

Having the same issue. ESET was installed for our only Mac user last week and they have had to disable it to use their machine. Will check on this thread for updates.

• 4 weeks later...

No fix yet...I'm still working with support and providing them logs.

My suggestion would be to contact support as well. I would hope if more people report this issue, it will receive more attention.

I have been provided a work around by the support team that appears to have resolved the issue.  I am just waiting to determine if this is a temporary work around, or if ESET will be publishing a fix within the installer.

@kingoftheworld - interesting, please keep us posted!

Are you using active directory for sign in to your Macs?

Yep, our Macs are joined to our domain and use active directory. Is the issue related?

Edited by kit

@kingoftheworld - interesting, please keep us posted!

Are you using active directory for sign in to your Macs?

Is the workaround still working for you? Curious why you asked about AD as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I would encourage anyone experiencing the issue to open a ticket with support.  I was informed this was due to the fact that my "Domain Users" group was not being joined to the "staff" group that is built into OSX.  The workaround suggested would be to script that as each user logs into the machine that their group membership would be modified to be joined to staff as their primary group.  

I would encourage anyone experiencing the issue to open a ticket with support.  I was informed this was due to the fact that my "Domain Users" group was not being joined to the "staff" group that is built into OSX.  The workaround suggested would be to script that as each user logs into the machine that their group membership would be modified to be joined to staff as their primary group.  

This was not my case here. As we have only one person assigned to one computer, we manually add the account to the "admin" group in OSX.

I realized that the people having the issue had installed the default Fortinet Client package on their Mac to connect to our VPN. The problem is that this default package also installs an antivirus. When both antivirus try to start, it makes the computer totally unusable for about 20 minutes. After this delay, I was able to deactivate the antivirus portion of Fortinet and voilà! Computer now starts OK.

Just discovered this thread. Same issues here when logging in with AD accounts.  Local account logins are not affected. Very painful.

I'll be opening a support case....

I have been provided a work around by the support team that appears to have resolved the issue.  I am just waiting to determine if this is a temporary work around, or if ESET will be publishing a fix within the installer.

Any updates on this?

We've been unable to get any assistance (or even a reply) from support after a week, so we've started uninstalling the client.  Pretty disappointed with ESET right now.

That is interesting. I alerted the engineer that is assigned to my ticket for this issue and other that is being discussed in this forum, and they advise that they have not seen other occurrences of this issue. 

Feel free to reference case #1471439 within your case if you think it would help.

It was created on Sept-1 and I provided log files the same day. The only info I've gotten since then is that it's "currently under review", waiting for a response from the Dev team.

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting. I alerted the engineer that is assigned to my ticket for this issue and other that is being discussed in this forum, and they advise that they have not seen other occurrences of this issue. 

Feel free to reference case #1471439 within your case if you think it would help.

It was created on Sept-1 and I provided log files the same day. The only info I've gotten since then is that it's "currently under review", waiting for a response from the Dev team.

I am in the same boat, and I have referenced your ticket number as well.  So hopefully there are some notes linking the symptoms together.

According to some users, disabling the email protection is resolving the issue. Can someone confirm this theory? Any other update? Have any of you tried the latest version 6.3.85.0?

• 2 weeks later...