Error adding license to ERA

Go to solution Solved by MartinK,

Good Morning

When I try to add the offline license in ERA (Eset Remote Administrator) is generated the following error: Falied to add license by license file: Invalid license file provided.

• ESET Staff

Hello. When you have created the offline license file, have you entered the correct token (token is displayed in ERA, and has to be inserted into the license file, prior to its generation).

I am adding the screens from both ERA and ELA.

So the order is:

1. Open ERA on the "add license file" screen (licenses / add / offline file)
  2. Open ELA on the "generate offline file screen"
  3. Copy the server token from ERA to ELA
  4. Generate the offline file on ELA and download it
  5. Insert the offline file into ERA

PS: Why have you decided to use the offline file? Are you trying to activate computers without internet connection?

post-35-0-13073500-1466436754_thumb.png

post-35-0-61170000-1466436754_thumb.png

what is the purpose of having offline license file in ERA? I thought it was mainly for creating in ELA to activate ESET on workstations or servers?  Is it for reporting purposes? 

• ESET Staff

When you get an offline file to ERA, you can then use it in "software activation task" to activate all of your seats, which are not connected to the internet (for example). Basically, ERA agent delivers the offline file to all of the endpoints on the network.  It is the same, like in case when you add an standard license using a license key, or security admin account.

Hello. When you have created the offline license file, have you entered the correct token (token is displayed in ERA, and has to be inserted into the license file, prior to its generation).

I am adding the screens from both ERA and ELA.

So the order is:

• Open ERA on the "add license file" screen (licenses / add / offline file)
  • Open ELA on the "generate offline file screen"
  • Copy the server token from ERA to ELA
  • Generate the offline file on ELA and download it
  • Insert the offline file into ERA
PS: Why have you decided to use the offline file? Are you trying to activate computers without internet connection?

I decided to use the key offline because it comes by e-mail, so I think more practical to do it and also because I could not do the other application procedures, tried to use the license key, tried to use the security administrator credentials, but none of methods is running, it generates the error contained in the images.

How do I put pictures here? I'm not finding a way to put them here!

• ESET Staff

The file that comes in the e-mail is the .lic format, which is not supported by ERA6. It was used in the previous generation of ESET Remote Administrator (5.x and older). To get the offline file for ERA6 you have to access ESET License Administrator, enable generation of offline files (in settings) and then generate the file as specified in my post above. Pictures can be added in the "more reply options" below the text-input field.

The file that comes in the e-mail is the .lic format, which is not supported by ERA6. It was used in the previous generation of ESET Remote Administrator (5.x and older). To get the offline file for ERA6 you have to access ESET License Administrator, enable generation of offline files (in settings) and then generate the file as specified in my post above. Pictures can be added in the "more reply options" below the text-input field.

But there is a problem. Which option let selected to create the license offline in IT? In "product" not an option for Eset Remote Administrator 6.

• ESET Staff

You have to create the license for a product, that you want to activate from ERA. So if you have purchased ESET Endpoint Security, you choose ESET Endpoint Security. If ESET Endpoint Antivirus, then ESET Endpoint Antivirus. Please note, that offline files are application specific so file for EES won´t activate EEA.

When you get an offline file to ERA, you can then use it in "software activation task" to activate all of your seats, which are not connected to the internet (for example). Basically, ERA agent delivers the offline file to all of the endpoints on the network.  It is the same, like in case when you add an standard license using a license key, or security admin account.

So one OFFLINE creation can activate multiple computers via ERA activation task? 

You have to create the license for a product, that you want to activate from ERA. So if you have purchased ESET Endpoint Security, you choose ESET Endpoint Security. If ESET Endpoint Antivirus, then ESET Endpoint Antivirus. Please note, that offline files are application specific so file for EES won´t activate EEA.

So I think that there is a mess. I am having trouble activating Eset Remote Administrator, can not activate the server, try the three ways to activate but none is working.
But what I think it is strange that it was possible to activate 5 endpoints using the key and the security administrator credential.

• Administrators

So I think that there is a mess. I am having trouble activating Eset Remote Administrator, can not activate the server, try the three ways to activate but none is working.

But what I think it is strange that it was possible to activate 5 endpoints using the key and the security administrator credential.

Are you trying to activate ESET Endpoint Antivirus or ESET Endpoint Security from ERA but it doesn't work? You wrote that "can not activate the server" but you have to activate Endpoints, not the server. If you provide more information so that we better understand what the problem is, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

Are you trying to activate ESET Endpoint Antivirus or ESET Endpoint Security from ERA but it doesn't work? You wrote that "can not activate the server" but you have to activate Endpoints, not the server. If you provide more information so that we better understand what the problem is, I'm sure we'll be able to help.

So Eset Remote Administrator does not need to be activated? The site "License Management" is only for management? To distribute the licenses?

I wanted to add licenses to the ERA all at once, because using this method to create offline specific product, end up being required to know the specific amount of hosts that will use them, and recall other facilities have used the file is sent by e-mail that has .lic extension. Remember to add the console and be accepted, and this license does not distinguish the products, it encompasses all the protudos, so when a product is installed it ends up picking up the license and being activated.

I do not know if the problem is being generated by being a 2003 SP2 x86 server, there is a problem with that?

• ESET Staff
  • Solution
I do not know if the problem is being generated by being a 2003 SP2 x86 server, there is a problem with that?

Actually it may be the problem. Please follow steps for troubleshooting error code 4099 in ESET KB2434. Not sure you have this problem (we would need SERVER's trace log to clarify) but there is specific problem with Windows 2003 as this older and no longer supported system is not able to verify new SSL/TLS certificates used by ESET licensing.

So Eset Remote Administrator does not need to be activated? The site "License Management" is only for management? To distribute the licenses?

Imported licenses are mostly for management, but without imported license, SERVER won't be able to update it's modules introducing new functionality, especially improvements in localization and security products configuration. You don't have to explicitly activate Remote Administrator Server, but you should synchronize/import your license.

Edited by MartinK

Actually it may be the problem. Please follow steps for troubleshooting error code 4099 in ESET KB2434. Not sure you have this problem (we would need SERVER's trace log to clarify) but there is specific problem with Windows 2003 as this older and no longer supported system is not able to verify new SSL/TLS certificates used by ESET licensing.

Imported licenses are mostly for management, but without imported license, SERVER won't be able to update it's modules introducing new functionality, especially improvements in localization and security products configuration. You don't have to explicitly activate Remote Administrator Server, but you should synchronize/import your license.

I'll check this troubleshooting when you have a return post here. You add this ESET certificate manually?

• ESET Staff

I'll check this troubleshooting when you have a return post here. You add this ESET certificate manually?

There should be no need to manipulate your certificate store. Mentioned KB recommends to install specific windows hotfix that enables applications running on Windows 2003 to verify SSL/TLS certificates signed by SHA2 based algorithms. Certificate should be the same as is used for ELA portal -> you may check whether it is considered as valid when opened in internet explorer on your server.

There should be no need to manipulate your certificate store. Mentioned KB recommends to install specific windows hotfix that enables applications running on Windows 2003 to verify SSL/TLS certificates signed by SHA2 based algorithms. Certificate should be the same as is used for ELA portal -> you may check whether it is considered as valid when opened in internet explorer on your server.

Thanks for the help, apply the KB worked, managed to add the license key to the ERA. Thank you for help Martink.