Eset SS & Win8.1

Just so you know and I do relize that is only out for OEM ppl like me for right now. But the only the HIPS is the major bug in 8.1 x64 RTM. HIPS is disabled and will not turn on even using pre-database options for updates.

Here is the error:

8/30/2013 6:37:13 PM    HIPS    Communication with driver failed. HIPS is inactive.  

Have you done reboot after update?

I think it was written somewhere that after seeing such message - doing reboot can be needed.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Historically, ESET has begun supporting new versions of Windows around the same time they are available in the retail channel.

Windows 8.1 becomes available in the retail channel on October 18th, 2013. 

Please check back then for the latest information about updates and compatibility.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

OK, then. I will be using Windows 8.1's Defender until Eset supports Windows 8.1. Avast free already supports it but I don't want to install Avast.

I tried both NOD32 V7 beta and v6 and none fully work. Beta v7 even causes major system freezes and lockups.

Edited by Duluc

Hello,

Historically, ESET has begun supporting new versions of Windows around the same time they are available in the retail channel.

Windows 8.1 becomes available in the retail channel on October 18th, 2013. 

Please check back then for the latest information about updates and compatibility.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well, don't get me wrong but an answer like that is at least lame. I know you probably don't ship your software preinstalled with many oems but, I'm guessing that if you are going to start providing your software as fully compatible only by the time it goes retail, you're going to loose A LOT of customers. And this is coming from a user with a 2 years licence and Win8 In both his pc's.... so take that into consideration.

I'm guessing that if you are going to start providing your software as fully compatible only by the time it goes retail, you're going to loose A LOT of customers.

Just to correct what you have said, as far as I'm away ESET have always kept to what Aryeh said:

ESET has begun supporting new versions of Windows around the same time they are available in the retail channel.

Therefore it isn't a case of "going to start providing the software by the time it goes retail" as they have always followed this trend and it hasn't put ESET's large customer base off yet?

Appreciated it may be inconvinient for some people but surely ESET want this to be perfect and, I'm assuming, it takes quite a while to make a programme so great as ESET's, fully compatible with very few, if any, glitches with a new release.

Maybe patience is a virtue.....

Windows 8.1 RTM hasn't gone retail yet and it's already fully supported by v7 :)

How's that if there's report of HIPS breaking and not working in win 8.1?

I haven't tried it yet but there are quite a few in the forum.... not a complain either, just a question.

• Administrators

Windows 8.1 RTM hasn't gone retail yet and it's already fully supported by v7 :)

I haven't tried it yet but there are quite a few in the forum.... not a complain either, just a question.

If one is having issues with Windows 8.1 build 9600 (RTM), maybe they don't have the most current HIPS and Anti-Stealth modules installed yet or haven't restarted the system after the modules were updated. The modules adding compatibility support for Windows 8.1 RTM were released for v7 users just yesterday.

If one is having issues with Windows 8.1 build 9600 (RTM), maybe they don't have the most current HIPS and Anti-Stealth modules installed yet or haven't restarted the system after the modules were updated. The modules adding compatibility support for Windows 8.1 RTM were released for v7 users just yesterday.

Is pre-released update required?

• ESET Moderators

Hello Duluc,

No, the modules were released for all v7 users yesterday. V5 and v6 users will need to switch to pre-release updates in order to receive the latest modules or wait until they are released for all users.

Hello Duluc,

No, the modules were released for all v7 users yesterday. V5 and v6 users will need to switch to pre-release updates in order to receive the latest modules or wait until they are released for all users.

Thank you! As always, top notch support. It seems to work fine. I hope no freezes or lockups occur and everything turn out right as I'm really liking Windows 8.1 RTM.

It looks like I spoke too soon. Even when the HIPS modules installed fine, I got a system crash and reboot a few minutes ago. It hadn't happened with just Defender. Maybe it's the advanced memory scanner playing it unfair with Windows 8.1, but that's just me guessing. The sure thing is NOD32 is not liking Windows 8.1 so much.

• Administrators

It looks like I spoke too soon. Even when the HIPS modules installed fine, I got a system crash and reboot a few minutes ago. It hadn't happened with just Defender. Maybe it's the advanced memory scanner playing it unfair with Windows 8.1, but that's just me guessing. The sure thing is NOD32 is not liking Windows 8.1 so much.

Please provide a memory dump from the crash so that we can determine the cause.

Sorry Marcos, I can't provide one as I had memory dumps disabled on my system. :(

What option should I enable, small memory dump (256KB)?

Hi!

Today, Microsoft has made available the final Windows 8.1 bits for MSDN subscribers. So now, there is a whole community of official, legal Windows 8.1 users.

Are you going to release ESET Smart Security 6 update that will fully support Windows 8.1 and won't require the beta-HIPS? And when are you going to release ESS 7 with full Windows 8.1 support?

Thanks.

Hi!

Today, Microsoft has made available the final Windows 8.1 bits for MSDN subscribers. So now, there is a whole community of official, legal Windows 8.1 users.

Are you going to release ESET Smart Security 6 update that will fully support Windows 8.1 and won't require the beta-HIPS? And when are you going to release ESS 7 with full Windows 8.1 support?

Thanks.

Hello :) FWIW see this post: https://forum.eset.com/topic/868-eset-ss-win81/?p=4730