Eset v9 - How can I clone or create firewall rules for "System"?

Hi.

I like the new v9 GUI but I think some functionality is missing.

1) There are predefined firewall rules for "System". I would like to clone those and apply my own settings to the cloned rule(s).

How can I clone firewall rules for "System"  (or any other rules)?

2) Alternatively, how can I create my own firewall rules for "System"?

Thanks for any help.

I assume this also applies to ver. 9.

In ver. 8 if you right click on a System rule and then select "Create", an option will be displayed for "Similar Rule." This will copy the existing System rule detail and you can modify it to suit your needs. Then you can uncheck the original System rule so that it is no longer active.

post-6784-0-50649000-1465828018_thumb.png

Thanks itman.

However, the interface has been completely reworked in v9 and right click is no longer possible and there are only three buttons under the list: Add, modify and delete.

Thanks itman.

However, the interface has been completely reworked in v9 and right click is no longer possible and there are only three buttons under the list: Add, modify and delete.

Just looked at the ver. 9 user manual. Appears you're out of luck a far as copy/modify an existing rule capability. This among many more reasons of why I am still using ver. 8.

Thanks itman.

Just looked at the ver. 9 user manual. Appears you're out of luck a far as copy/modify an existing rule capability. This among many more reasons of why I am still using ver. 8.

I got message about new available update to version 9. Installed it and all messed up with new interface.

No rules sorting by date in firewall settings, no more preview icons for applications.

Just terrible update with disabled advanced settings

Edited by carradar

• Administrators

Upgrade to v9 is not mandatory and won't be in the next few years I'd say. However, new protection features will be primarily implemented in new versions.

As for the order of rules, they are evaluated differently as of v9. While in older versions the order didn't matter, in v9+ the order determines the priority (ie. the first matching rule is applied).

To filter existing rules, there's a special field for that purpose. Also there are some plans to improve the rule editor in the future.

• Administrators

We plan to make some improvements in v10 regarding duplication of rules or creation of rules for the system process. In a longer term perspective, application icons could be added too and the whole rule editor is subject to further improvements.

• 4 weeks later...

Upgrade to v9 is not mandatory and won't be in the next few years I'd say. However, new protection features will be primarily implemented in new versions.

As for the order of rules, they are evaluated differently as of v9. While in older versions the order didn't matter, in v9+ the order determines the priority (ie. the first matching rule is applied).

To filter existing rules, there's a special field for that purpose. Also there are some plans to improve the rule editor in the future.

I tried v9, and downgraded back to v8. The new firewall rule editor is so awkward, it was a deal breaker for me.