EFS deploy to 2 servers - activation fails on 1?

The main difference between the online and offline activation is, that in case of online, each activate computers reaches our activation servers, gets unique SeatID, which is then paired with the license, and license file with encrypted license information is delivered. Then, the application is configured to automatically receive any updates that might happen on the license (renewal / extension / cancellation / ...). 

When using offline file, you do not create the seat ID instance, and you deliver the license file directly. So in case of changes, you have to ship a new file manually with the new license information. Offline files are also restricted to offline environments, so when you have activated with offline file, you have to make sure, that the computer that was activated with offline file won´t reach edf.eset.com, as otherwise ELA would reject creation of further offline files due to violation (offline files, should be used as a last resort).

Most of the times, failed activation attempts using online method are related to computer not being able to reach activation servers (edf.eset.com), communicating via proxy, or not having the latest Windows updates installed. 

Hi Michael, so what you're saying is I am going to have problems with these servers activated with the offline licence files :(

I have ticked both the username/password and the 'Allow management with remote administrator' boxes when creating the offline files, and the licence information has updated in the ERA server console. Both these servers are actively connected to the Internet.

Also these licences are currently on 30 day trial, and will be converted to paid licences in a couple of weeks. So you're saying I will have to create a new offline licence file once the licence is converted?

In both cases no problems pinging any of the activation servers, no Internet proxy, and all MS updates installed.

So in case of changes, you have to ship a new file manually with the new license information. Offline files are also restricted to offline environments, so when you have activated with offline file, you have to make sure, that the computer that was activated with offline file won´t reach edf.eset.com, as otherwise ELA would reject creation of further offline files due to violation (offline files, should be used as a last resort).

When I first created the offline licence file and activated the server, the server wouldn't update, so I had to log back into licence administrator and create a second offline licence file, this time selecting to include the username and password, then activated the server a second time with this new file, which then successfully updated. I then deleted the original offline licence file. I didn't have any problems doing this. ELA didn't reject creation of the offline licence file.

Surely, setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 will never work, unless you're publishing to a server with an FQDN and a public IP address? Using local DNS server and private IP or DNS name is probably required,

I have activated many a ESET product with a public DNS set on the NIC. 

do you have the Apache Proxy enabled in the agent and client policies?  If so maybe try installing Squid to see if its isolated to this caching proxy which is enabled by default now. 

I also cannot ping those ip addresses. Appears the ping maybe turned off on that end. 

do you have the Apache Proxy enabled in the agent and client policies?  

Yes, but according to Eset partner support, activation doesn't go through the Eset proxy or ERA server, the client connects direct with the Eset activation servers online. So unless I was running a network/Internet proxy (which I'm not), it should be a direct connection. Also the policies applied were the same on the server that did activate.

• ESET Staff

You will experience problems only in case, when the machine which was activated using offline file connects to the ESET Licensing Servers. Otherwise it should work OK. If you want to keep it activated with offline file, I would suggest, that you restrict the affected machines from reaching to ESET Licensing Servers, so you can be sure, that there are no issues in the future. Also, you will have to replace the license files, once you convert the license from trial, to standard paid license.