EFS deploy to 2 servers - activation fails on 1?

Just tried to deploy EFS to 2 servers, both Server 2012 R2, both deployed with the same client task in ERA, one completes and activates successfully, the other installs but fails to activate. Have tried running a client task from ERA to activate. have also tried manually activating in EFS on the server using the product key, again fails to activate.

Error when trying to activate directly in EFS: Activation Failed - We could not reach the activation server. Error code: ECP.4099.

The server does have access to the Internet. There are no outgoing restrictions on the firewall.

Tried changing DNS server to Google 8.8.8.8 - still fails.

Tried temporarily disabling Windows Firewall - still fails.

Also just deployed EES for another customer on a couple of remote notebooks. Again one activated, one didn't. Everything else again should be identical.

Anyone got any idea what is going on??

PS: Yes I've been researching and troubleshooting now for over an hour.

Edited by ShaneDT

Surely, setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 will never work, unless you're publishing to a server with an FQDN and a public IP address? Using local DNS server and private IP or DNS name is probably required,

DNS was set to the local DC/DNS server. I changed it to 8.8.8.8 to test as the few posts I could find all suggested a connectivity issue with the Eset activation servers online. But it made no difference so I changed it back. This is on the server that EFS failed to activate on.

• ESET Staff

DNS was set to the local DC/DNS server. I changed it to 8.8.8.8 to test as the few posts I could find all suggested a connectivity issue with the Eset activation servers online. But it made no difference so I changed it back. This is on the server that EFS failed to activate on.

Please try to access https://edf.eset.com/edf from client machine. Also check ESET KB2434 for possible clues.

Please try to access https://edf.eset.com/edf from client machine. Also check ESET KB2434 for possible clues.

Yes can access that site from the server. Get an xml script(?).

After a couple of restarts and twice attempting activation from the ERA server on the notebook for my other customer, this one has now activated.

But still can't get the server to activate.

• ESET Staff

Yes can access that site from the server. Get an xml script(?).

After a couple of restarts and twice attempting activation from the ERA server on the notebook for my other customer, this one has now activated.

But still can't get the server to activate.

I guess there is no HTTP Proxy configuration required to access web?

There is a chance ESET infrastructure is cause of this issue -> it may be overloaded. I would suggest to test it later. You may also use tools like "wireshark" to check where is actually EFS connecting and in what case it is interrupted.

I guess there is no HTTP Proxy configuration required to access web?

There is a chance ESET infrastructure is cause of this issue -> it may be overloaded. I would suggest to test it later. You may also use tools like "wireshark" to check where is actually EFS connecting and in what case it is interrupted.

No proxy required for Internet access. All Microsoft Updates now installed overnight, still won't activate.

Is there any way to know if there is a problem with the Eset activation servers?

What should have been a 15min install has turned into several hours and still counting.

Can you please provide some steps that I can take or logs that can be reviewed to try to resolve this problem asap.

So many bloody little bugs in this software makes it so hard to figure out why it doesn't work!!

The time stamps in the logs are for some reason 10 hours behind! WHY! The time zones and times on both the ERA server and this server are the same and correct. UTC+10. Yet the bloody log files and the status.html etc are all 10 hours behind.

Also for some reason it looks like an agent policy I created for remote notebooks has applied to this server?!? This policy includes the Internet WAN address for the remote notebooks to report back to the ERA server over the Internet. If I go into Details for this server in ERA the policy in question is not listed, yet the status.html is reporting it connecting via the WAN IP!!!

Yes I'm getting seriously pissed off, I've already lost a Saturday evening now I'm going to lose a Sunday trying to troubleshoot this ...... product.

I have uninstalled EFS and the Agent, restarted, reinstalled the Agent, reinstall EFS, and still fails to activate!!

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall McAfee! At least it works.

Managed to activate it using an Offline Licence File.

But now it won't update. Getting error: Your license file does not contain a username and password. You can update only from an update mirror.

I guess everyone at Eset is asleep.

And even though I have now activated this with the Offline File, every 9 minutes I'm getting the following email, I assume from the ERA server.

"During execution of Kernel on the computer SERVER, the following event occurred: Activation was not successful: Could not reach activation server."

Log files are UTC. Most log files, on most systems, are UTC. Otherwise they're a nightmare to analyse when users are in different timezones and with daylight saving etc. Having log files in local time is daft.

Log files are UTC. Most log files, on most systems, are UTC. Otherwise they're a nightmare to analyse when users are in different timezones and with daylight saving etc. Having log files in local time is daft.

Really, well every log file on every system I've installed and supported for over 15 years is in local time format. Maybe this is easier for Eset engineers. Not so much for everyone else who is not used to working in UTC.

Never worked with IIS logs?

Not really no lol. Windows logs, application logs, firewall logs, never had any that were UTC. Just must have been lucky.

Anyway can we get this back on topic.

So I managed to get the server activated and updating by creating and downloading a second Offline Licence File, this time selecting to include the username and password.

So I have a workaround that's working. Would be good to get the problem identified and resolved so I don't run into it again.

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately I am not able to verify ESET server's functionality, but this seems to be connection problem. My last idea is to check whether all IP addresses from list of ESET EDF servers is accessible from this machine, as they may change request to request and also based on regional location.

Edited by MartinK

Unfortunately I am not able to verify ESET server's functionality, but this seems to be connection problem. My last idea is to check whether all IP addresses from list of ESET EDF servers is accessible from this machine, as they may change request to request and also based on regional location.

Again as per my post in my other thread, what method should I use to test this. Is ping sufficient?

Please provide more comprehensive instructions. We don't all know your product as well as you know your product.

I've just installed on a third and final server for this customer, again deployed from ERA, EFS installed but has failed to activate.

Of the list of hostnames and IP's listed under 'Services', the following did not respond to ping. But they also did not respond to ping on the server that did activate. They also did not respond to ping on my own computer which is on a completely different network/Internet connection.

edf.eset.com 137.135.12.16

edfpcs.trafficmanager.net 137.135.12.16

edf-pcs.cloudapp.net 137.135.12.16

edf-pcs2.cloudapp.net 137.117.215.70

Again can't activate via ERA client task. Can't activate directly in EFS using the Licence Key. Only option that worked was an offline licence file.

• ESET Staff

I run out of ideas. Had you any such problem with other product types? Seems there were similar problems reported on this forum:"EFSW not activating".

I would recommend you to contact Marcos whether he was able to solve issues in referenced topic, or open support ticket. When you provide them your license ID, they will be able to check what was going on, and whether activation request reached ESET servers.

I've had issues with activation before, but a couple of restarts has previously resolved the issue. Thankfully the other remote notebook I mentioned in my opening posts fell in this category, this notebook resides several hundred kilometres away and getting remote access to it is not easy. In this instance restarting the servers didn't seem to make any difference.

Shouldn't these activation/connection failures be logged somewhere? You mentioned earlier using Wireshark. What exactly would I look for using Wireshark?

There has to be a reason why 2 out of 3 servers refused to activate. I have logged a partner support case and referenced this thread, so hopefully someone will come back with some ideas. For now it's activated though I don't know what issues activating using an offline licence file vs directly from the ERA server will cause?

• ESET Staff

The main difference between the online and offline activation is, that in case of online, each activate computers reaches our activation servers, gets unique SeatID, which is then paired with the license, and license file with encrypted license information is delivered. Then, the application is configured to automatically receive any updates that might happen on the license (renewal / extension / cancellation / ...). 

When using offline file, you do not create the seat ID instance, and you deliver the license file directly. So in case of changes, you have to ship a new file manually with the new license information. Offline files are also restricted to offline environments, so when you have activated with offline file, you have to make sure, that the computer that was activated with offline file won´t reach edf.eset.com, as otherwise ELA would reject creation of further offline files due to violation (offline files, should be used as a last resort).

Most of the times, failed activation attempts using online method are related to computer not being able to reach activation servers (edf.eset.com), communicating via proxy, or not having the latest Windows updates installed.