Blocking of IMAP email of non-integrated desktop client ("Em Client")?

Until recently I used Windows 7 / Em Client / McAfee anti-virus.

I then changed to Windows 10 / Em Client / McAfee anti-virus. No problem.

I then swapped McAfee for ESET Endpoint and Em Client seems to have stopped working.

So I tried Thunderbird and that works ok with Endpoint.

I'm therefore tempted to think Endpoint is blocking Em Client.

However, if I temporarily turn off Endpoint completely, or turn off IMAP protocol checking, Em Client still doesn't seem to work. So could Endpoint still be getting in the way somehow, or is the fact that Em Client stopped working at the same time as I switched from McAfee to Endpoint a red herring?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

• Administrators

Does temporarily disabling protocol filtering in the advanced setup make a difference? If so, try (at least temporarily) switching to pre-release updates in the advanced update setup and let us know if the problem still persist.

Thanks for the quick response, but no - temporarily disabling didn't seem to make any difference. 

I also uninstalled Em Client, cleaned out the associated user data then reinstalled it again, and that made no difference either. That's why I don't know if Endpoint is a red herring, but the timing of the problem does suggest not!

Is there anything else I can try? Should I try the pre-release updates anyway?

• Administrators

You didn't mention if you have ESET Endpoint Antivirus or Endpoint Security installed. If the former, only protocol filtering can intervene in http/pop3/imap communication. If the latter, personal firewall might block certain communication as well. Also it could be that McAfee was not uninstalled completely and there are some remnants that clash with ESET. If they offer an uninstall tool to remove their products completely, I'd give it a try to make sure it's removed completely.

Hi again.

I'm using Endpoint 5.0.2260.1 so there isn't a personal firewall as far as I can tell.

I used McAfee's Consumer Product Removal tool to clean out (hopefully) any remnants of their anti-virus program, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Oh hang on, I just tried disabling Endpoint temporarily and it did work this time (before clearing out McAfee it didn't). With Endpoint off, messages starting coming through again ok (and I sent a test message out), so I turned it back on and they stopped (and I couldn't send any more). 

Presumably the ports you enter into the box on the IMAP scanner setup tell Endpoint which ones to look at? I can put the ones I'm using into the top box but the bottom box where you configure IMAPS filtering/ports is greyed-out/disabled so I can't change the ports set in there. Does that matter?

So, we are making some progress! Any further ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

David