Need to understand better delayed updates

Hello,

Im wondering how delayed updates work.

I know you can active regular ou delayed updates for ESET server.

You can do the same for computers.

And you also can use mirroring for computers.

Can someone explain me plz how these parameters interact ?

Can I have regular update for my server, and a computer with delayed update ?

And if a computer is mirroring updates for an other, both of them should have the same update type parameter ? (regular or delayed)

Thank you !

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Delayed updates are only applicable when updating directly from ESET's servers.

Once you update from a mirror, it is irrelevant which update type you have selected, as you update from the mirror's content and it contains only one set of update.

Regards,

T.

When you say "ESET's servers', you mean putting a real ESET's servers' IP ?

because I have computers with the "delayed update" parameter, and with an update server defined to my ERA server, and it seems they correctly get delayed updates. Do you think my 'update server' parameter is not used ?

• Administrators

When you say "ESET's servers', you mean putting a real ESET's servers' IP ?

No, we mean that the "Choose automatically" option is enabled.

Ok.

So I can have delayed update using mirroring if I set my mirror computer to "delayed update" with autoselect and then I set my computers to get updates from the mirror ?

• Administrators

I don't recommend using delayed updates as nowadays malware spreads quickly and having a recognition (signature) added after 12 hours when a particular malware has done its job already is really too late.

Yeah it is what I will recommend to my IT boss, but if I check "Autoselect" it will choose the correct ESET's server, and not my ERA server ? Or will it choose my ERA server and don't do delayed update (because my server is on regular updates)

• Administrators

If you want clients to update from ESET's serves, keep "Choose automatically" enabled in the update setup in Endpoint. Then you will be also able to choose between pre-release, regular and delayed updates. If you point Endpoint to update from a mirror, these settings won't take effect on clients and the type of updates will depend on how the tool / product that creates the mirror is configured. E.g. you have pre-release updates enabled in Endpoint which updates from a mirror. The mirror is created by the mirror command line tool that is configured to download delayed updates. Result: Endpoint will use delayed updates that are downloaded to the mirror folder.