ESET SysRescue Live found this threat, please advise further action

I used the ESET SysRescue Live CD recently on a friend's computer which is having issues with someone with malicious intent spying on it and their accounts, but we have no idea how, or if the problem is even linked to malware at all.

The scan came up with this one file is identified as a threat: /media/LocalDisk2/Windows/System32/MRT/3AC662F4-BBD5-4771-B2A0-164912094D5D/FilesStash/8084C12D-55D6-8FA0-7260-10BEA64DD6E4 - probably a variant of Win32/Toolbar.MyWebSearch.P potentially unwanted application - action selection postponed until scan completion

ESET just identified the threat, but I saw no option to clean or delete it. It was a free version, not sure if there is a paid version of SysRescue and whether we need that in order to actually deal with the threat.

Firstly, should the threat be removed, and secondly, how? I am not sure if it is possible to actually navigate to any particular file on the computer and delete it in this case.

Thank you for your help.

• Administrators

If a potentially unsafe or unwanted application has been detected (like in your case), you will be prompted for an action at the end of the scan. What actually happened when the scan completed? Weren't you asked for an action to take on the detected file? You could also set Strict cleaning mode before you start a scan; in such case all files will be cleaned automatically.

Thanks Marcos. I did not see an option to clean or delete the file at the time, but it is possible that it did at the end of the scan and I simply missed it. I will check that again by running a fresh scan when I get the chance.